VTTW Board Index
May 06, 2024, 09:57:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talk about a VFL.....Got to pull for kids like Bruce.  (Read 2395 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2015, 01:40:20 EST »

When Tennessee unveils its 2015 signing class Wednesday, one name noticeably absent will be South Doyle's Jocquez Bruce. The Knoxville native volunteered to blueshirt, which allowed Tennessee to pursue other potential prospects down the stretch.

"I volunteered myself to blueshirt so I could help out the team," Bruce told VolQuest.com Tuesday afternoon. "I wanted to help out so we can continue to add great players to help get us back to where we want to be."

By volunteering to blueshirt, Bruce couldn't take an official visit to Tennessee. Additionally, Tennessee coaches never had an in-home or in-school visit with Bruce. It was a gesture that top-Vol Butch Joneswas impressed by.

"He told me I'm doing the right thing and he appreciates me for that," Bruce said. "He was shocked at the same time because he didn't think someone would volunteer. I just wanted to do it, and not taking an official wasn't a big thing to me. I've seen it all before."

So what does this mean for Bruce going forward? Nothing changes and when he arrives for school, he will be on full scholarship.

"I'll be attending school the same time everyone else is so it's not a biggie," Bruce said. "I'll be on full scholarship. I can't wait to be a Vol."

Bruce views this as a positive and having his name formally announced Wednesday isn't a big deal. He knows where he stands in the eyes of the coaches and he believes he and Tennessee benefit from the decision long-term.

"I gain respect for this," Bruce said. "Not only from the coaches, but from the community as well. I know they want to get all of the big-time recruits and if this allows us to add other guys then I've accomplished my goal by wanting to do this."

Bruce has quite the personality and he hopes the staff remembers this gesture when fall camp begins in August.

"I'm hoping the coaches remember this and I can get some early P-T (playing time) for doing this," Bruce said with a smile.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 01:55:33 EST »

Yep. Good kid and to voluntarily give up part of the recruiting process to help the team like that ought to endear him to fans and teammates alike. I hope he makes an impact on the field.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 02:00:58 EST »

I've never heard of a "blue shirt". How does that work? He can't be recruited, the coaches can't visit, he can't visit but he gets a scholarship and can play immediately?

Does that scholarship count like the others?
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 02:02:52 EST »

I've never heard of a "blue shirt". How does that work? He can't be recruited, the coaches can't visit, he can't visit but he gets a scholarship and can play immediately?

Does that scholarship count like the others?

It counts toward the 85 limit but not the 25 signing limit. It is forward counted to 2016 I believe.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 05:22:15 EST »

Perry is also blueshirting.

https://tennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1733073

That's two that we know of.  To get to the presumed 29 man class, we need two more, right?

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 03:39:46 EST »

That a kid from my alma mater would do this is fantastic.   

Believe me, a visit to UT is not that big a deal for someone who lives in South Knox county.  He's undoubtedly made dozens of unofficial visits....

This is the best explanation of blue shirts I have seen:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/12/new_ncaa_interpretation_bluesh.html

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: