VTTW Board Index
May 19, 2024, 07:23:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the term "Lady Vols" to be terminated?....  (Read 2476 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2012, 04:29:30 EDT »

Reading Basilio's blog today and he thinks that might be coming. Some SEC schools already do not use the term "Lady" for the women's teams.

My thinking? Combining the athletic departments was needed. Doing away with a brand as recognizable and profitable as "Lady Vols" seems unwise.

And moving the name "The Summitt" to one of the ends of the court might invite civil unrest.

http://tonybasilio.com/index.php?page=tony
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 04:45:15 EDT »

I think it makes sense to do away with the "Lady" in the name for most schools.  This is 2012, not 1978, there's no need to differentiate anymore.  However, as you said, Pat Summitt made "Lady Vols" the most recognizable brand name in womens' athletics.  So I think it would be a mistake in our case. 

However, I'm 100% in favor of getting rid of the blue in the uniforms.  I don't care if Ray Mears started it 40 years ago- Ray Mears was wrong.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 04:48:09 EDT »

I think it makes sense to do away with the "Lady" in the name for most schools.  This is 2012, not 1978, there's no need to differentiate anymore.  However, as you said, Pat Summitt made "Lady Vols" the most recognizable brand name in womens' athletics.  So I think it would be a mistake in our case. 

However, I'm 100% in favor of getting rid of the blue in the uniforms.  I don't care if Ray Mears started it 40 years ago- Ray Mears was wrong.

Ditto. Keep "Lady Vols", keep "The Summitt", get rid of the baby blue. I wouldn't mind if they kept a different Lady Vol logo, though... although that isn't going to happen.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 04:51:23 EDT »

Those are my thoughts as well. The Lady Vols are a national brand. Keep it that way. If Hart moves The Summitt, I am in favor of sending him back to the hillbilly hell he crawled out of when Cheek brought him here.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 05:03:05 EDT »

What worries me about all this is that Hart is in danger of creating the same hostility among a portion of the LV fanbase that existed when Dickey was here.  I'll never forget being at a LV game in 1999, when Phil Fulmer (who was about a month removed from winning a National Title) was recognized at halftime.  A large percentage of the crowd (the more "butch" portion, shall we say) actually booed him.  I would've gotten into a fight with a couple sitting behind me, but decorum dictates that men don't strike women.  Still, I made a vow that night not to attend any more LV games in person while that kind of atmosphere existed.  I think it's improved a great deal since then, but I don't want to go back to the days when a number fans think you can only love the LVs if you also hate the men.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 05:22:55 EDT »

What worries me about all this is that Hart is in danger of creating the same hostility among a portion of the LV fanbase that existed when Dickey was here.  I'll never forget being at a LV game in 1999, when Phil Fulmer (who was about a month removed from winning a National Title) was recognized at halftime.  A large percentage of the crowd (the more "butch" portion, shall we say) actually booed him.  I would've gotten into a fight with a couple sitting behind me, but decorum dictates that men don't strike women.  Still, I made a vow that night not to attend any more LV games in person while that kind of atmosphere existed.  I think it's improved a great deal since then, but I don't want to go back to the days when a number fans think you can only love the LVs if you also hate the men.

That mentality actually still exists and is just as prevalent in the younger fans of the Vol men as it is in the Lady Vol fanbase. I could almost argue that separating them to begin with allowed that stuff to foster but it's too far gone now to end the Lady Vol brand.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: