VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 06:14:16 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The CBSSports.com Big East Coach of the Year is.....  (Read 4428 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2012, 04:14:59 EST »

.....not Charlie Strong.

It's Butch Jones.

Just a little fuel for the fire. 

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/college-football-rapidreports/21293399/butch-jones-is-cbssportscoms-big-east-coach-of-the-year

Oh, and I'm fully aware that it's only the Big East. Spare me.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 04:17:10 EST »

.....not Charlie Strong.

It's Butch Jones.

Just a little fuel for the fire. 

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/college-football-rapidreports/21293399/butch-jones-is-cbssportscoms-big-east-coach-of-the-year

Oh, and I'm fully aware that it's only the Big East. Spare me.

So since we offered Strong $4M, I guess that means we have to offer Jones at least $4.5M.

Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 04:24:26 EST »

BS. Butch Jones can't coach. UT fans have already decided it.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 04:25:39 EST »

So since we offered Strong $4M, I guess that means we have to offer Jones at least $4.5M.

Hell no. He was ready to take the cesspool of a job at Colorado for 2.7 a year.
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 06:52:18 EST »

and for the record, he is 23-14 last 3 years vs Strong 24-14.  Last 2 years he is 19-6 vs Strong 17-8.  Same league, tougher OOC schedule.  Bottom line, if Charlie can coach, then Butch can coach.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 07:18:41 EST »

Hell no. He was ready to take the cesspool of a job at Colorado for 2.7 a year.

Colorado has a lot of the recruiting problems Tennessee has. They don't have much instate talent. When they were a power they had a recruiting pipeline to California

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 07:28:28 EST »

According to a UC fan, recruiting in his mind is a serious issue with Jones and his staff. They signed 29 guys last year. No 5*, no 4* and 25 3*. Never really done any better than top 50 and never better than 3rd in the Big East. For perspective, Rutgers had the best recruiting class in the BE last year, signed 19 and had one 5* and four 4* players. Based on what he said, Jones has not taken over a program NOT stocked with good players, and he hasn't stayed long enough to be judged on HIS recruits. Said he has met Jones, and thinks he's a nicer guy than Dantonio, and esp kelly, but he's for sure not the coach Kelly or Dantanio were.
  It has been said that Jones is very loyal to his assistants, taking them with him in his moves. He will most likely bring his DC, John Jancek with him to UT. According to this UC fan, his defenses, particularly pass defense, has been a major problem. John Jancek was LB's coach at UGA a few years ago before he was "fired" by Richt. "Fired by Richt" who is notoriously loyal to his assistants to a fault. Not to worry though, UT doesn't really need a "great" DC, right? How did UC do vs our offense? FL, AL, GA, SC, A&M, etc.....
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 07:35:37 EST by UTnbama » Logged
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 07:37:06 EST »

According to a UC fan, recruiting in his mind is a serious issue with Jones and his staff. They signed 29 guys last year. No 5*, no 4* and 25 3*. Never really done any better than top 50 and never better than 3rd in the Big East. For perspective, Rutgers had the best recruiting class in the BE last year, signed 19 and had one 5* and four 4* players. Based on what he said, Jones has not taken over a program NOT stocked with good players, and he hasn't stayed long enough to be judged on HIS recruits. Said he has met Jones, and thinks he's a nicer guy than Dantonio, and esp kelly, but he's for sure not the coach Kelly or Dantanio were.
  It has been said that Jones is very loyal to his assistants, taking them with him in his moves. He will most likely bring his DC, John Jancek with him to UT. According to this UC fan, his defenses, particularly pass defense, has been a major problem. John Jancek was LB's coach at UGA a few years ago before he was "fired" by Richt. "Fired by Richt" who is notoriously loyal to his assistants to a fault. Not to worry though, UT doesn't really need a great DC, right?

The problem for Cincinnati is trying to recruit in Ohio against Ohio State. No top recruit from Ohio is going to pick Cincinnati
over Ohio State. They have the same problem Georgia Tech has with Georgia

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 01:04:59 EST »

It has been said that Jones is very loyal to his assistants, taking them with him in his moves. He will most likely bring his DC, John Jancek with him to UT. According to this UC fan, his defenses, particularly pass defense, has been a major problem. John Jancek was LB's coach at UGA a few years ago before he was "fired" by Richt. "Fired by Richt" who is notoriously loyal to his assistants to a fault. Not to worry though, UT doesn't really need a "great" DC, right? How did UC do vs our offense? FL, AL, GA, SC, A&M, etc.....

Jones' recruiting at Cincinnati has been on par with Charlie Strong's recruiting at Louisville.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 02:33:30 EST »

It should be noted Strong took over a program in disarray and Jones took over for Kelly. The two situations are completely different - except that Strong's best record is greater than Jones' best.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 04:21:35 EST »

Jones' recruiting at Cincinnati has been on par with Charlie Strong's recruiting at Louisville.

What about Rutgers, they have plenty of the same competition, and yet they blew the doors off Jones' recruiting. I don't know, we'll see.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 05:02:12 EST »

It should be noted Strong took over a program in disarray and Jones took over for Kelly. The two situations are completely different - except that Strong's best record is greater than Jones' best.

So far.  Strong is currently 10-2 while Jones was 10-3 last year.

But...wait...Louisville plays Florida in the Sugar Bowl.   

So yeah. No!

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: