VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 12:00:37 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So we fired Dooley to get Butch Jones  (Read 8499 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2012, 02:17:13 EST »

Ok

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 02:19:06 EST »

Ok

It's an upgrade. Just not as much of an upgrade as we were all demanding.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 02:20:23 EST »

Let's see who he hires on his staff.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 02:25:24 EST »

At least he wanted to be here. I just hope he hires a good staff.
Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 02:37:49 EST »

particularly offense of coordinator
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 02:38:46 EST »

Ok

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 02:47:49 EST »

I am pretty angry right now about this hire though... 
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 03:19:05 EST »

CBJ is a big step up from Derek Dummy

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 03:21:36 EST »

That is what I am waiting to see.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 03:23:10 EST »

I am pretty angry right now about this hire though... 

But if you don't get embarrassed by stuff like a coach's personal ethics, why get angry about a coaching hire?  They are both just personal emotions.    Seriously, I have never been happy, sad, excited, disappointed, etc. with a coaching hire.  I'll just wait and see, like always.  If I am once again disappointed with the actual coaching, then....   
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 03:33:32 EST »

And in 3 more years we will all be shaking our heads wondering wtf? The firing of Fulmer is a karma thing..and it's biting the University and the fans in the ass...The biggest problem with Fulmer was he was too loyal,he kept Randy Sanders,a former UT qb as OC way too long and the offense went from pound the rock to lets fling it all over the place even though we can run it and get 6-7 yrds a try  .. Coach Cut and Chief were the glue that held everything together but when Cut left for Duke after coming back the second time,Fulmer hired Clawson from The "mighty" Richmond Spiders...and the team had it's worst offensive stats in 30 yrs  and now 4 yrs and 2 coaches later the same happened with Dooley except it was on the Defense by Hiring Sunseri...I hope Jones can put it together and will be pulling for him to do it,but what I see is another desperate hire that will bite UT in the ass again..
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 03:41:37 EST »

All I know is I have watched Cincinnati outplay Louisville for the last 3 years, including this year when Cincy was clearly the better team but Louisville pulled it out in OT.  From my Cards fan side, I am happy to see him go.  From my Vols fan side, I think Butch Jones can flat coach, but I am not sure how he will handle the pressure cooker he will be in, especially given the fact that he will not be a popular hire since he is not blond and on MNF.  He will also be in a brand new world recruiting.  He is back to back COY in an inferior league that has some very decent coaches (Strong, Marrone, etc.)  He wins when he is supposed to win, and beats some teams he is not supposed to beat.  He is big time players coach who has really solid record of kids staying out of trouble, going to class, etc.  He is up tempo all the way, from personality to offense to practice.  Teams will be in shape.  Like every Vols fan, I will wait and see, but I think it is a really good hire. 

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 03:45:36 EST »

All I know is I have watched Cincinnati outplay Louisville for the last 3 years, including this year when Cincy was clearly the better team but Louisville pulled it out in OT.  From my Cards fan side, I am happy to see him go.  From my Vols fan side, I think Butch Jones can flat coach, but I am not sure how he will handle the pressure cooker he will be in, especially given the fact that he will not be a popular hire since he is not blond and on MNF.  He will also be in a brand new world recruiting.  He is back to back COY in an inferior league that has some very decent coaches (Strong, Marrone, etc.)  He wins when he is supposed to win, and beats some teams he is not supposed to beat.  He is big time players coach who has really solid record of kids staying out of trouble, going to class, etc.  He is up tempo all the way, from personality to offense to practice.  Teams will be in shape.  Like every Vols fan, I will wait and see, but I think it is a really good hire. 

I'm glad Tennessee finally has It's Coach. It'll be interesting to see what He does with this team. I think I'll be going to the O&W game in April

UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 04:48:57 EST »

Thanks, I needed that!
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 04:52:13 EST »

Nice post!   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 04:52:52 EST »

@CO and @smokey

Definitely an upgrade and really wanted to be here, both very true.  Should help.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 04:55:04 EST »

@CO and @smokey

Definitely an upgrade and really wanted to be here, both very true.  Should help.

He needs to come out like Majors did in 1977 and tell the fans that it's going to take time to bring Tennessee back(JM also said He was a hard worker but not a miracle worker)

FranklinVol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 04:58:36 EST »

Dools beat TWO decent teams in 3 years.  One of those coaches got fired.  The other is the new head coach of your Tennessee Volunteers.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 05:00:50 EST »

Dools beat TWO decent teams in 3 years.  One of those coaches got fired.  The other is the new head coach of your Tennessee Volunteers.

Tennessee fans need to be patient,it's going to take a while to rebuild.

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 05:04:35 EST »

Tennessee fans need to be patient,it's going to take a while to rebuild.

Tennessee fans have been patient, but Hamilton, Kiffin, and Dooley have worn that patience thin (or out).  Does Jones deserve time?  Yep.  Will he get it?  Perhaps, but not a lot of it, at least not from the fans.  I also think Hart deserves time to see how this all turns out, but I seem to be in the minority on that.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 05:04:53 EST »

Who is, by definition, much much better than Dooley. Also, had we not been devastated by injuries in 2011, Dooley would probably have won a couple more games. And still be our coach.  Which, when you think about it, the injuries might just be a blessing in disguise.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 05:05:32 EST »

Tennessee fans have been patient, but Hamilton, Kiffin, and Dooley have worn that patience thin (or out).  Does Jones deserve time?  Yep.  Will he get it?  Perhaps, but not a lot of it, at least not from the fans.  I also think Hart deserves time to see how this all turns out, but I seem to be in the minority on that.

If it doesn't work Hart probably will be the fall guy

FranklinVol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 05:08:14 EST »

Who is, by definition, much much better than Dooley. Also, had we not been devastated by injuries in 2011, Dooley would probably have won a couple more games. And still be our coach.  Which, when you think about it, the injuries might just be a blessing in disguise.   

Yes. Let's not misunderstand one another.  I am not arguing that Butch Jones is Dooley II.  His track record is superior.  It does not follow that this is a good hire.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 05:10:45 EST »

Yes. Let's not misunderstand one another.  I am not arguing that Butch Jones is Dooley II.  His track record is superior.  It does not follow that this is a good hire.

Sure.  And he is definitely not a home run. I get that.  Just don't think him losing to Dooley is that relevant. 

FranklinVol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 05:17:09 EST »

Sure.  And he is definitely not a home run. I get that.  Just don't think him losing to Dooley is that relevant. 

I don't really disagree.  That was a little ad hominem because I am hot and feel very strongly that this hire is much less than what the situation called for at this time, and moreover represents a failure in leadership.  Maybe it will work out but my patient and supportive fan phase is now officially over.  It sucks for him, but this new coach is guilty until proven innocent for me.  Maybe it'll work out.  hope so.  Otherwise I want to see some heads rolling.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: