VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 01:01:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's Easy to Criticize  (Read 3200 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2012, 02:52:03 EST »

What's done is done, but here's why I'm critical. Even if you have to go to Plan B some guys seem to have a better track record or more upside than Jones. I'll list five.

1) Dan Mullen
2) Hugh Freeze
3) Bob Dibiaco - 39 year-old ND DC
4) Art Briles
5) Willie Taggert ( C List for now who should not have been considered but has big upside )

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 03:03:02 EST »

What's done is done, but here's why I'm critical. Even if you have to go to Plan B some guys seem to have a better track record or more upside than Jones. I'll list five.

1) Dan Mullen
2) Hugh Freeze
3) Bob Dibiaco - 39 year-old ND DC
4) Art Briles
5) Willie Taggert ( C List for now who should not have been considered but has big upside )

Mullen is the only guy on your list I'd rather have than Jones, and I wouldn't have been happy with him either.

Freeze won some games at Ole Miss that he shouldn't have this year. But it's one season and he still just went 6-6.

Diaco has only been a DC for four years and this year is the first time he's had a really good defense.

Briles caught lightning in a bottle with RGIII. He's 22-27 at Baylor outside of RGIII's Jr season.

Taggart is 16-20 at Western KY. He is Dooley all over, or worse.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 03:10:39 EST »

I don't think there's a reason to hire any of the guys on my list, but here's why I have them on there. Freeze, Mullen and Briles took over train wrecks. That's what seperates them from Jones. Jones has followed Brian Kelly, but his record is what I'd expect from someone who has had to build programs.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 03:12:27 EST »

I'm on CBJ's side as long as it seems that UT is starting to make progress

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 05:10:03 EST »

OK, can you say without a doubt that Hart did not contact the agents for any or all of them? Did he ask and was told no interest? You do not know.  I do not know.  Would it make you feel better to know how many coaches turned us down?  No one knows but Hart. So we will never know.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 05:12:26 EST »

If Hart can't sell UT's job to those guys he does not need to be UT's AD.

Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 05:13:55 EST »

OK, can you say without a doubt that Hart did not contact the agents for any or all of them? Did he ask and was told no interest? You do not know.  I do not know.  Would it make you feel better to know how many coaches turned us down?  No one knows but Hart. So we will never know.

Since the whole coaching search appeared to be done publicly, I would say that we DO know and that we only offered Strong and Jones (though we obviously would have offered Gruden if we thought he would take it)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 05:15:05 EST »

If Hart can't sell UT's job to those guys he does not need to be UT's AD.

I don't think Mullen was on the radar screen.  He has done a great job at MSU, but they have struggled a lot vs. quality opponents and just got HAMMERED by Ole Miss.  Plus, his recruiting was about on par with Dooleys at UT, at BEST, and the NCAA is sniffing around MSU at that.

I liked him earlier in the year, but have soured on him since.  Would rather have Jones....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 05:20:57 EST »

Since the whole coaching search appeared to be done publicly, I would say that we DO know and that we only offered Strong and Jones (though we obviously would have offered Gruden if we thought he would take it)

Offered ≠ Contacted.  If you contact and discuss, and even beg, but a guy is not interested, then more than likely there will be no offer.  I'd be willing to bet that quite a few coaches were contacted.  As I said in another post, I think only Strong and Jones actually were made offers.  And, one of the biggest complaints about this search is how secret everythig seemed to be.  At one point Hart was being called a genius for being able to keep things away from the media and fans.  Hence all the rumors flying around.  You are the first person who I have seen say that this search was in any way public. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: