VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 08:19:23 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A little over a week ago, I indicated here...  (Read 3803 times)
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2012, 03:48:51 EST »

...I was expecting an announcement yesterday or today.  And, at that time, I mentioned that you would start hearing a couple more names being thrown into the mix, even though they would not excite anyone.  I did not mention Jones by name, but he was on that list.  I even told someone on Facebook a while back to expect an announcement today and that I hoped it would not be equated by Vols fans with it being Peral Harbor Day, i.e., I hoped Vols fans would not consider this to be a day to live in UT infamy.  I don't think there were any serious negotiations prior to Strong.  I think it will turn out that quite a few of the names being thrown around here and elsewhere actually were contacted, but they simply were not interested, so no real negotiations were ever started.  Regardless of whether they had been contacted by a search firm or Hart, they just were not coming to Knoxville.  As I posted previously, I have always believed that Tennessee is a unique program that requires a special type of person/head coach to succeed.  Perhaps Jones will ultimately be the football coach version of Bruce Pearl and will excite the fans with his enthusiasm and recruiting and in the end by winning.  Only time will tell.  But, unless he falls in love with the program and area and wants to stay there, he very well could succeed and then be like Kiffin and jump to his "dream" job if/when he gets the Vols back on track.  I have never been big on Hart making a "home run" hire.  No matter what, it's an unknown, even with someone like Gruden.  And, the fact that fans are disappointed or angry with this hire right now will not matter in the least if the program gets turned around.  In the end, it will come down to wins and losses, just like always.  So, as I firmly plant myself in "wait and see" mode, I wish Coach Jones the best of luck.  With a fanbase like ours, he's going to need it (for at least a little while). 
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 03:50:58 EST »

..I was expecting an announcement yesterday or today.  And, at that time, I mentioned that you would start hearing a couple more names being thrown into the mix, even though they would not excite anyone.  I did not mention Jones by name, but he was on that list.  I even told someone on Facebook a while back to expect an announcement today and that I hoped it would not be equated by Vols fans with it being Peral Harbor Day, i.e., I hoped Vols fans would not consider this to be a day to live in UT infamy.  I don't think there were any serious negotiations prior to Strong.  I think it will turn out that quite a few of the names being thrown around here and elsewhere actually were contacted, but they simply were not interested, so no real negotiations were ever started.  Regardless of whether they had been contacted by a search firm or Hart, they just were not coming to Knoxville.  As I posted previously, I have always believed that Tennessee is a unique program that requires a special type of person/head coach to succeed.  Perhaps Jones will ultimately be the football coach version of Bruce Pearl and will excite the fans with his enthusiasm and recruiting and in the end by winning.  Only time will tell.  But, unless he falls in love with the program and area and wants to stay there, he very well could succeed and then be like Kiffin and jump to his "dream" job if/when he gets the Vols back on track.  I have never been big on Hart making a "home run" hire.  No matter what, it's an unknown, even with someone like Gruden.  And, the fact that fans are disappointed or angry with this hire right now will not matter in the least if the program gets turned around.  In the end, it will come down to wins and losses, just like always.  So, as I firmly plant myself in "wait and see" mode, I wish Coach Jones the best of luck.  With a fanbase like ours, he's going to need it (for at least a little while).

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 03:51:13 EST »

I've read good things about CBJ I hope He can get Tennessee moving in the right direction. He's a strong recruiter Who did a good job in a place that's hard to recruit at

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
10EC
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 03:52:21 EST »

If ever a man or a fanbase needed a miracle early win it is next season.  Oregon or maybe Florida.

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 03:56:32 EST »

If ever a man or a fanbase needed a miracle early win it is next season.  Oregon or maybe Florida.

I think Tennessee's next big win is South Carolina at home

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 04:07:00 EST »

I think Tennessee's next big win is South Carolina at home

Maybe in 2015
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 04:17:24 EST »

Real,

It does hurt the ego to be rejected.  Over the Dooley era, I came to the realization no big name coach is going to come to UT until we win again.  Why would they?  Look around people.  Many teams are now paying big money to even mediocre coaches and every conference is on TV everywhere. Competition in SEC is cut-throat.  It would appear not that many coaches are that driven to step into a meat grinder even for a lot of money.  Many coaches already make enough money where they are at and the fan base does not lambast them at every turn.  They did not want to be here.  Hart could not make big name coaches come here even with money.  Unless you grew up Big Orange, what do we have to offer?  A fickle fan base that stops going to games? A fractured fan base with part stuck in the past that cannot accept times changed and the coach did not?  Over history UT has never hired a big name that has succeeded.

Fans, Gruden was a fan's pipe dream that was keep alive by people who played on your desperation and used you for their own sick pleasure.  I truly believe that because over my 61 years on this earth some people just enjoy makin others unhappy. You got used for other's jolly. Learn from this and demand those who spread rumors provide a source's name before you believe them.  Otherwise consider it a lie because the majority of the time it is.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 04:21:11 EST »

Real,

It does hurt the ego to be rejected.  Over the Dooley era, I came to the realization no big name coach is going to come to UT until we win again.  Why would they?  Look around people.  Many teams are now paying big money to even mediocre coaches and every conference is on TV everywhere. Competition in SEC is cut-throat.  It would appear not that many coaches are that driven to step into a meat grinder even for a lot of money.  Many coaches already make enough money where they are at and the fan base does not lambast them at every turn.  They did not want to be here.  Hart could not make big name coaches come here even with money.  Unless you grew up Big Orange, what do we have to offer?  A fickle fan base that stops going to games? A fractured fan base with part stuck in the past that cannot accept times changed and the coach did not?  Over history UT has never hired a big name that has succeeded.

Fans, Gruden was a fan's pipe dream that was keep alive by people who played on your desperation and used you for their own sick pleasure.  I truly believe that because over my 61 years on this earth some people just enjoy makin others unhappy. You got used for other's jolly. Learn from this and demand those who spread rumors provide a source's name before you believe them.  Otherwise consider it a lie because the majority of the time it is.

Tennessee fans should have expectations to have winning seasons every year. If it scares off Coaches that Tennessee fans expect winning seasons every season to hell with them

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 04:31:13 EST »

Tennessee fans should have expectations to have winning seasons every year. If it scares off Coaches that Tennessee fans expect winning seasons every season to hell with them

I don't think that is what was intended.  Tennessee fans absolutely should expect winning seasons and any coach in his right mind knows that.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 04:40:38 EST »

I don't think that is what was intended.  Tennessee fans absolutely should expect winning seasons and any coach in his right mind knows that.

Further, a fanbase with high expectations (even a fractured one) should not be a turnoff for a coaching wanting to be at the highest level. It should be a draw.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 04:46:47 EST »

Further, a fanbase with high expectations (even a fractured one) should not be a turnoff for a coaching wanting to be at the highest level. It should be a draw.

Yep.  That said, fans who do crazy stuff (hire moving vans, burn things, etc.) based on unrealistic expectations could certainly turn someone off.  Tennessee having consistent winning football seasons is not an unrealistic expectation.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 04:49:56 EST »

Maybe in 2015

Or maybe this year.  Might depend on who we get back, I suppose.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: