VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 12:45:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Butch Jones offense & defense  (Read 3837 times)
UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2012, 05:28:42 EST »

So Jones runs a spread offense, but as I understand it, it's not the option spread version like Oregon runs, OK State, and Urban Meyer runs, but a spread like Rich Rod runs, which is much more pass first or pass oriented. Correct me if I'm wrong here.  Defensively I understand they mixed it up from a 3-4 to a 4-3 at times. Am I correct?
  I know you guys remember the Cincy game with UT last year, what impressions did you come away with at the time? I sure didn't come away with the same impression I got from playing Tator Tot! I thought Bowden out coached Dooley, but I certainly didn't get that impression from watching Butch Jones. I got the impression from watching the Cincy game (not knowing that I was watching our future coach) that Cincy ran a pretty sloppy game. I remember thinking that they sure had fallen a lot since Kelly was there. I thought they were sloppy, had poor execution, and made mistakes that even Dooley took advantage of. Those were honestly my impressions at the time. What were yours? I would like to hear what your honest impressions were of the game. My impressions may have been all wrong, and would like to think that I was. I getting this out of my system, and after this I am going to be positive about things.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 05:50:59 EST by UTnbama » Logged
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 05:37:36 EST »

I know you guys remember the Cincy game with UT this year, what impressions did you come away with at the time? I sure didn't come away with the same impression I got from playing Tator Tot! I thought Bowden out coached Dooley, but I certainly didn't get that impression from watching Butch Jones. I got the impression from watching the Cincy game (not knowing that I was watching our future coach) that Cincy ran a pretty sloppy game. I remember thinking that they sure had fallen a lot since Kelly was there. I thought they were sloppy, had poor execution, and made mistakes that even Dooley took advantage of. Those were honestly my impressions at the time. What were yours? I would like to hear what your honest impressions were of the game. My impressions may have been all wrong, and would like to think that I was. I getting this out of my system, and after this I am going to be positive about things.

The Vols didn't play Cincy this season.  That game was in 2011, I believe before Hunter and Bray were injured.  The Vols won 45-23, but I do not recall thinking that Cincy was sloppy or poorly coached.  In fact, they turned out to be pretty good that season and I recall that win gave Vols fans hope that they might be good enough to beat Florida.  And, it looked like they might be until the injury to Hunter.  Then again, maybe I am remembering wrong.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 05:38:23 EST »

The Vols didn't play Cincy this season.  That game was in 2011, I believe before Hunter and Bray were injured.  The Vols won 45-23, but I do not recall thinking that Cincy was sloppy or poorly coached.  In fact, they turned out to be pretty good that season and I recall that win gave Vols fans hope that they might be good enough to beat Florida.  And, it looked like they might be until the injury to Hunter.  Then again, maybe I am remembering wrong.

No, you nailed it.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 05:39:26 EST »

We traded blows in the first half, the significant difference was our onsides kick
In the 2nd half Bray, Hunter and Da'Ricky executed better.  Thier secondary could not cover Hunter.
We really never stopped their fast little back.  Their QB was not as good as Bray and in the end that was the difference in the game.

Bottom line is we had difficulty defending the spread but their defense could not handle our receivers.  Offensively they were close but on defensethey were not a SEC caliber defense
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 05:42:04 EST by PirateVOL » Logged

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 05:44:00 EST »

We traded blows in the first half, the significant difference was our onsides kick
In the 2nd half Bray, Hunter and Da'Ricky executed better.  Thier secondary could not cover Hunter.
We really never stopped their fast little back.  Their QB was not as good as Bray and in the end that was the difference in the game.

Bottom line is we had difficulty defending the spread but their defense could not handle our receivers.  Offensively they were close but on defensethey were not a SEC caliber defense

I think his DC choice will be huge.  If he brings the same staff from Cincy on that side of the ball, I just don't think Vols fans will be happy.  Again, it could work out fine with SEC talent and time, but....
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 05:46:16 EST »

I think his DC choice will be huge.  If he brings the same staff from Cincy on that side of the ball, I just don't think Vols fans will be happy.  Again, it could work out fine with SEC talent and time, but....

Perhaps so, but they were 12th in the country in scoring D, allowing only 17 ppg this year, and the most they gave up was 34 to Louisville in an OT game.   Sounds pretty good to me.   

I do agree that bringing in a top DC would be huge.  I don't know who that would be at this point.  Since he can recruit, maybe bring in Steele as an LB coach (if he would take it) and stay with the Cincy DC for now.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 05:46:53 EST »

Since neither of his coordinators were named interim coach ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 05:47:04 EST »

He ought to look at former Auburn DC Van Gorder

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 05:48:04 EST »

Perhaps so, but they were 12th in the country in scoring D, allowing only 17 ppg this year, and the most they gave up was 34 to Louisville in an OT game.   Sounds pretty good to me.   

I do agree that bringing in a top DC would be huge.  I don't know who that would be at this point.  Since he can recruit, maybe bring in Steele as an LB coach (if he would take it) and stay with the Cincy DC for now.   

I did not mean to imply that his current DC was bad.  I just don't think fans will believe he is SEC material.  That seems to be a pretty rote response.   
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 05:48:19 EST »

He ought to look at former Auburn DC Van Gorder
Did you watch the Pick-a-nickname defense this year???????????

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 05:51:37 EST »

Yes, sorry I meant last year, and thanks for your impressions and thoughts. GBO & GCBJ
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 05:53:42 EST by UTnbama » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: