VTTW Board Index
May 13, 2024, 06:53:11 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm going to repeat a question Revolver asked several weeks ago...  (Read 12904 times)
BigOrange Maniac
« on: January 02, 2012, 05:45:22 EST »

If you're going to have to replace all of Dooley's staff, why not just go ahead and replace him too?

Does anyone feel confident that a top-notch DC will come to Tennessee knowing that Dooley isn't likely to survive past next season?

Does anyone feel confident in the ability of this team to NOT get smoked by SEC offenses next season without a top-notch DC in place?
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 05:55:48 EST »

I'll put it this way.. I felt better about our prospects in the waning hours of Fulmer's tenure than we do now.

The more that this goes on, the more I feel we gambled and lost when we outed Fulmer.  Hindsight is 20/20, but it's hard to look at everything now and say we're better off.
TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 06:03:11 EST »

The only thing you can offer a top DC right now is the assurances that he will be first option for HC once Dooley is let go.  I like Dooley but sometimes the deck is just stacked against you.  I don't see how he survives a new AD, coming off a non bowl season, losing to Kentucky, and probably losing a key recruiting class going into his most important season as coach. 

I have heard some chatter on different UT boards that Hart & Kirby Smart are very close.  If this is true and Hart would want Smart, this opening could not be any more gift wrapped for Hart to make his move and bring him in.  For Smart, it would be a short term lateral move most likely.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 06:04:41 EST »

The only thing you can offer a top DC right now is the assurances that he will be first option for HC once Dooley is let go.  I like Dooley but sometimes the deck is just stacked against you.  I don't see how he survives a new AD, coming off a non bowl season, losing to Kentucky, and probably losing a key recruiting class going into his most important season as coach. 

I have heard some chatter on different UT boards that Hart & Kirby Smart are very close.  If this is true and Hart would want Smart, this opening could not be any more gift wrapped for Hart to make his move and bring him in.  For Smart, it would be a short term lateral move most likely.

I would welcome Smart as a DC (which obviously isn't happening unless there's a HC stipulation attached, as you point out), but not as a HC.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 06:05:27 EST »

IF you can get what you consider a home run hire you do it. Otherwise you promote Lance Thompson, tell the remaining staff they've got a chance to make an amazing turnaround and see what happens.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 06:31:31 EST »

I'm smh at the wish lists that some on other boards are throwing out there...  people need to wake up.  Promoting Lance Thompson is probably the best we can hope for... and if we don't, maybe he bolts too.   
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 06:33:22 EST »

I'm smh at the wish lists that some on other boards are throwing out there...  people need to wake up.  Promoting Lance Thompson is probably the best we can hope for... and if we don't, maybe he bolts too.   

I think you're probably right. Lance Thompson will be promoted. I'm not sure he's the best we can hope for, but I'm pretty sure he's the best we can do.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 06:41:32 EST »

Even though I don't think there's a snowball's chance he comes back unless he's guaranteed a chance to be HC, and that isn't happening (or shouldn't happen), my first call would be to John Chavis. He was a good DC at Tennessee and has really proven his merit with the freedom to do more under Les Miles. He may very well be the best DC in all of college football right now, and he spent half a lifetime at Tennessee. Offer the guy a substantial pay raise and see what happens.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 07:04:06 EST »

Chavis would have to be the biggest idiot in the nation to leave LSU to return to UT. 

If I'm Chavis there is nothing that would make me return, we ran off his longtime boss and friend and we have zero talent (at least compared to LSU) and no chance at competing for anything anytime soon, whereas LSU is on top of the world with no sign of that changing anytime soon.
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 07:45:12 EST »

If you're going to have to replace all of Dooley's staff, why not just go ahead and replace him too?

Does anyone feel confident that a top-notch DC will come to Tennessee knowing that Dooley isn't likely to survive past next season?

Does anyone feel confident in the ability of this team to NOT get smoked by SEC offenses next season without a top-notch DC in place?

How do you know Dooley will not be here after next season.....do you have a crystal ball.....if so to hell with football give me the lottery numbers for this wednesday!!!

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 07:49:36 EST »

Barring a miracle, the only chance Dooley has/had is stability.  Things aint looking too stable.
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 08:43:33 EST »

Chavis would have to be the biggest idiot in the nation to leave LSU to return to UT. 

If I'm Chavis there is nothing that would make me return, we ran off his longtime boss and friend and we have zero talent (at least compared to LSU) and no chance at competing for anything anytime soon, whereas LSU is on top of the world with no sign of that changing anytime soon.
If LSU beats Bama which I believe they will then I could see Chavis returning to UT as DC..A big pay raise and returning to his home school with another NC ring...He would certainly help recruiting defensive players..The bigger question is if he and Dooley would work well together..
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 08:43:59 EST »

How do you know Dooley will not be here after next season.....do you have a crystal ball.....if so to hell with football give me the lottery numbers for this wednesday!!!

You don't need a crystal ball to see the obvious.
Orange Rampage
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 09:07:43 EST »

Barring a miracle, the only chance Dooley has/had is stability.  Things aint looking too stable.

It looks bad, and we REALLY didn't need anything else that could be perceived as negative happening before signing day. Even if it isn't the sinking ship syndrome, it sure looks like it is.

In reality, everything is fine.

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 09:24:44 EST »

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 10:22:31 EST »

I think you're probably right. Lance Thompson will be promoted. I'm not sure he's the best we can hope for, but I'm pretty sure he's the best we can do.

Yep

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 10:24:27 EST »

Even though I don't think there's a snowball's chance he comes back unless he's guaranteed a chance to be HC, and that isn't happening (or shouldn't happen), my first call would be to John Chavis. He was a good DC at Tennessee and has really proven his merit with the freedom to do more under Les Miles. He may very well be the best DC in all of college football right now, and he spent half a lifetime at Tennessee. Offer the guy a substantial pay raise and see what happens.

Yes, it's too bad Chief got caught up in the Fulmer backlash.  I think he would have been willing to stay.

He did have his weak points, but overall I was satisfied with him.  No way does he come back now.

Agree that he might come back as HC, but also realize that most fans would oppose this.  But what do they know?  I am not sure he is HC material, but who knows until he has the chance.  I don't think he is interested though.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
EmerilVOL
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 01:28:33 EST »

You don't need a crystal ball to see the obvious.

BULLSH$T.  We are where we are because of this kind of attitude.  "Oh lets Fire Fulmer cause he lost to Alabama by 21 points.  Oh lets Fire Fulmer cause he lost to Florida by 14 points."  Now where are we?  It is this kind of attitude that is totally the reason we are bitching and moaning and etc etc etc.  I knew this was going to happen when we fired Fulmer and got that a$$clown Kiffin and Ogeron and Company....they would leave in a few years (oops one year) and then Hamilton would hire another coach and another coach etc etc etc (see Alabama during the multiple coaches in the 90s for reference material). 

It takes more than a bunch of fans wailing and gnashing teeth for Hart to fire a coach because unlike Hammy the Bean Counter Hart understands the rise and fall of sports programs.  Your ball needs some more polishing!!!!!

EmerilVOL

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 02:14:27 EST »

BULLSH$T.  We are where we are because of this kind of attitude.  "Oh lets Fire Fulmer cause he lost to Alabama by 21 points.  Oh lets Fire Fulmer cause he lost to Florida by 14 points."  Now where are we?  It is this kind of attitude that is totally the reason we are bitching and moaning and etc etc etc.  I knew this was going to happen when we fired Fulmer and got that a$$clown Kiffin and Ogeron and Company....they would leave in a few years (oops one year) and then Hamilton would hire another coach and another coach etc etc etc (see Alabama during the multiple coaches in the 90s for reference material). 

It takes more than a bunch of fans wailing and gnashing teeth for Hart to fire a coach because unlike Hammy the Bean Counter Hart understands the rise and fall of sports programs.  Your ball needs some more polishing!!!!!

You're probably the only person in Tennessee who is blatantly ignorant of the obvious. Have you not listened to what Hart has said? He's made it pretty clear that there are certain expectations for the football program. Dooley will not survive another season like this season. Period.

And that has nothing to do with wailing and gnashing teeth because UT lost to Florida by 14 points, no matter how much you want to rant about it.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 02:14:49 EST »

All of his staff isn't being replaced. If you replace Dooley after 2 years of a massive rebuilding job, who do you hire? Who would want the job? You have effectively devalued the program. You have to give a guy 4 years when you ask him to totally rebuild the program.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 02:23:48 EST »

All of his staff isn't being replaced. If you replace Dooley after 2 years of a massive rebuilding job, who do you hire? Who would want the job? You have effectively devalued the program. You have to give a guy 4 years when you ask him to totally rebuild the program.

As a general baseline, you give a guy four years. But there are, and should be, certain expectations attached. Sometimes it doesn't take four years to realize that a coach simply isn't going to work out. In this case, Dooley will not get four years if there isn't a major improvement in 2012.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 03:19:12 EST »

As a general baseline, you give a guy four years. But there are, and should be, certain expectations attached. Sometimes it doesn't take four years to realize that a coach simply isn't going to work out. In this case, Dooley will not get four years if there isn't a major improvement in 2012.

/thread

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 03:22:36 EST »

When the team laid down and lost to ky Dooley lost any patience the fans had left. If he wins that game we all feel better but we still lose the same coaches.

It seems in the opinion of most fans that Dooley lost the team this year. can he get them back? Was that just their immaturity or his that caused it? I know this year that we don't have to win them all but we should be able to compete better and win a game or two we shouldn't plus ALL of those we should. If not he is probably out the door after 2012.
EmerilVOL
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 05:23:22 EST »

You're probably the only person in Tennessee who is blatantly ignorant of the obvious. Have you not listened to what Hart has said? He's made it pretty clear that there are certain expectations for the football program. Dooley will not survive another season like this season. Period.

And that has nothing to do with wailing and gnashing teeth because UT lost to Florida by 14 points, no matter how much you want to rant about it.

Me ignorant of the obvious....what is obvious is that we are doing the same damn thing we did when we fired Fulmer.....the fans look at improvement in only one way....wins period dot.  That is not a true measurement of improvement.  Hart said he wanted to see improvement.  What is improvement winning 10 games?  Winning 8 games?  UT's football schedule was brutal this past year.  I doubt that you could have done better than Dooley coaching the team this year.  If you can then why are you not coaching the team?

You and others are basing everything on the number of games won as "improvement" but is it entirely the measuring stick?  Everyone bitched about Fulmer having players that were charged with crimes yadda yadda yadda.....Everyone bitched about this and that with Fulmer but he had the program going to the SECCG in 2007.  Regardless of your beliefs in Fulmer and firing him he was succeeding much more than he failed.  I for one was not happy with losing to UF and UA by a bunch of points but I am unhappier now not going to any bowl game at all......

We have to get off this treadmill of that the only way to grade a coach is the total number of wins within a season and look at progress made in other areas as well.  If we dont we will be doing the Alabama coaching dance for the next ten years and frankly I am tired of that in the entirety of the situation that Hamilton has engineered in abstentia!!

BTW It is not obvious it is your opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EmerilVOL

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 05:32:53 EST »

I doubt that you could have done better than Dooley coaching the team this year.  If you can then why are you not coaching the team?

Pssst... News flash: I am not a football coach.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: