VTTW Board Index
May 13, 2024, 04:35:16 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, with all of the rumors that have been going around...  (Read 12991 times)
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2012, 10:34:40 EST »

...about contacts already having been made in the coaching search, do you believe them or Hart's assertions?  Since he mentioned "back channeling," that would seem to suggest that to date there have been no contacts, even through intermediaries.  I still think a lot of the rumors were nothing more than wishful thinking.  I also believe that even if he has not been contacted, Gruden will seriously consider all of his options, to include the possibility of contacting or being contacted by UT about the job.

"I think when you have done it several times you know how to do it and how to go about that process.  I think every athletics director in America and every one that I know, you have a list of people.  That list changes because you don't know when you will be in a coaching search.  Heaven forbid, it could be a tragedy.  You don't know what could happen.  How many of those names at the end of the day will get traction, that remains to be seen.  I have not begun that and I will begin that in earnest now.  I think there is a right and wrong way to do everything in life.  This is how I have always done it.  I have contacted no one, back channeled no one.  I think that is fair to the current head coach.  Do I have a plan?  I do.  Those conversations have not begun."
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 10:59:44 EST »

If Dave Hart has contacted no one he should have fired himself at the press conference today too. He should have done everything but interview any current coaches.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 11:03:07 EST »

If Dave Hart has contacted no one he should have fired himself at the press conference today too. He should have done everything but interview any current coaches.

I agree He should have been sending out feelers

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 11:06:04 EST »

I disagree.  It's like he said, he has a list, but most if not all of those coaches will not accept any contact yet anyway.  They want to finish their seasons.  If he starts now, how has he lost any real time?  I haven't seen any of the coaches mentioned as possibilities take anything else yet, so they are all still in play (assuming they are on his list).  How is contacting them now a negative compared to contacting them a couple weeks ago?  I think he is doing things right if he is being honest about how he is handling it.  I have much more confidence in his search after seeing the press conference.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 11:06:45 EST »

If a group of boosters have contacted anyone, they have probably done that on their own and not with input from Hart.  If Hart has not directed anyone or has not been told, then he has plausible deniability.  If you take Hart at his word, he has not started to look, he has a plan, he does not plan on using a search firm, and he plans on doing it his way.

All the rumors of Gruden being contacted look like rumors only and not fact.  Now has a booster or member of the Athletics Board talked to Gruden's agent.  Could be. Who can say.  It looks like all the reliable sources stating Gruden is immentent were off base.

This is going to be a real interesting 3-4 weeks.  Just when is the last Monday Night Football game?
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 11:07:35 EST »

I agree He should have been sending out feelers

Why?  What would that have accomplished that cannot be accomplished today?  If they would have been interested two weeks ago, why would they not be interested today?
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 11:08:09 EST »

But if he's targeting Gary Patterson (only an example) he should have gotten some working numbers from Patterson's agent AND done major background checks. My guess is he's done so.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 11:10:45 EST »

Why?  What would that have accomplished that cannot be accomplished today?  If they would have been interested two weeks ago, why would they not be interested today?

I'm just concerned when somebody says that,they don't have all their ducks in a row

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 11:11:34 EST »

If a group of boosters have contacted anyone, they have probably done that on their own and not with input from Hart.  If Hart has not directed anyone or has not been told, then he has plausible deniability.  If you take Hart at his word, he has not started to look, he has a plan, he does not plan on using a search firm, and he plans on doing it his way.

I liked his answer about how he would handle the opinions of boosters/fans regarding the coaching search: "Respectfully.  That is part of the passion.  People should have an opinion.  I know I have a job to do.  I have a level of expertise and level of information that no one else has."
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 11:18:03 EST »

But if he's targeting Gary Patterson (only an example) he should have gotten some working numbers from Patterson's agent AND done major background checks. My guess is he's done so.

I think he addressed that during his press conference, but I doubt numbers are even a consideration at this point until he makes contact and sees if there is interest.  I'd bet he has done his homework on his list already.  I don't think working numbers from any prospective coach are relevant right now, unless he has an absolute outside limit.  And, exisitng contract terms are pretty easy to obtain, especially at state schools, so baseline information is probably available.

"I think when you have done it several times you know how to do it and how to go about that process.  I think every athletics director in America and every one that I know, you have a list of people.  That list changes because you don't know when you will be in a coaching search. Heaven forbid, it could be a tragedy.  You don't know what could happen.  How many of those names at the end of the day will get traction, that remains to be seen."
Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 11:18:29 EST »

People talk about "coach speak" all the time. Today's presser was largely "AD speak." I think it can be easily assumed that the first feelers were put out quite some time ago and the mega boosters will have their say in the process. Anything else is a disconnect from the reality of the way these things work.

Another point: there are now multiple people (and people not connected with UT or any other college program) reporting that Gruden is in the process of putting out his own feelers to potential assistant coaches. In no way does that mean that he is definitely going to be a college coach next year, but why would he do that if he wasn't aware that his services were going to be requested somewhere?
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 11:20:01 EST »

I'm just concerned when somebody says that,they don't have all their ducks in a row

He sure sounded like he did to me.  He always keeps "a list of people" (potential coaches) that he apparently updates regularly, "That list changes because you don't know when you will be in a coaching search."
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 11:27:20 EST »

People talk about "coach speak" all the time. Today's presser was largely "AD speak." I think it can be easily assumed that the first feelers were put out quite some time ago and the mega boosters will have their say in the process. Anything else is a disconnect from the reality of the way these things work.

Color me out of touch with reality then.  I see a difference between "AD speak" and being willing to flat out lie.  If he put out feelers before today, then he lied during the press conference.  He could have avoided that possibility by not mentioning that there had been no back channeling.  I would believe that perhaps boosters made contacts on their own, but he sure seemed to squash the effectiveness of that method during the press conference too.  I get the distinct impression that he prides himself on doing things his way.

Hart - "I have contacted no one, back channeled no one."
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 11:46:39 EST »

I like the way Hart has handled this entire situation.  It's a very nice contrast to what I saw as the spinelessness of Hamilton and I hope the search goes well and we get a good coach that returns us to winning.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 12:06:32 EST »

...about contacts already having been made in the coaching search, do you believe them or Hart's assertions?  Since he mentioned "back channeling," that would seem to suggest that to date there have been no contacts, even through intermediaries.  I still think a lot of the rumors were nothing more than wishful thinking.  I also believe that even if he has not been contacted, Gruden will seriously consider all of his options, to include the possibility of contacting or being contacted by UT about the job.

"I think when you have done it several times you know how to do it and how to go about that process.  I think every athletics director in America and every one that I know, you have a list of people.  That list changes because you don't know when you will be in a coaching search.  Heaven forbid, it could be a tragedy.  You don't know what could happen.  How many of those names at the end of the day will get traction, that remains to be seen.  I have not begun that and I will begin that in earnest now.  I think there is a right and wrong way to do everything in life.  This is how I have always done it.  I have contacted no one, back channeled no one.  I think that is fair to the current head coach.  Do I have a plan?  I do.  Those conversations have not begun."

He is talking in semantics. He has not reached out to anybody. Boosters have.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 12:08:20 EST »

Yep.

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 12:09:57 EST »

Perhaps, but if they have, I do not think they (the boosters) have had any contact with him.  And, if they have, that is back channeling IMO.  Anyway, he seemed to dismiss the booster involvment out of hand during the press conference, or at least the effectiveness of anything like that.  I believe he already has his wish list in hand and will start working it hard today.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 12:11:21 EST »

Yep.

How is that not back channeling, assuming he has had contact with those boosters?  Perhaps I misuderstood, but he sure seemed to squash the booster concept during the press conference.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 12:18:00 EST »

Perhaps, but if they have, I do not think they (the boosters) have had any contact with him.  And, if they have, that is back channeling IMO.  Anyway, he seemed to dismiss the booster involvment out of hand during the press conference, or at least the effectiveness of anything like that.  I believe he already has his wish list in hand and will start working it hard today.

I do not think he is being honest.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 12:23:26 EST »

I do not think he is being honest.

Ok, then that has it's own set of concerns.  The way he reacted to the questions about fans/boosters makes me think that he does not want their involvement.  After seeing the press conference, I get the feeling that he has a very specific search plan and has complete confidence in it and himself.  I just hope he gets a good coach onboard.  Regardless, if he lied, I hope he gets canned.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 12:23:49 EST »

Ok, then that has it's own set of concerns.  The way he reacted to the questions about fans/boosters makes me think that he does not want their involvement.  After seeing the press conference, I get the feeling that he has a very specific search plan and has complete confidence in it and himself.  I just hope he gets a good coach onboard.  Regardless, if he lied, I hope he gets canned.

It doesn't matter to me.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 12:24:00 EST »

How is that not back channeling, assuming he has had contact with those boosters?  Perhaps I misuderstood, but he sure seemed to squash the booster concept during the press conference.

As Revolver said, semantics.  If he, as AD, were to personally reach out to someone before the position is even officially open, he loses all credibility.  He has people to insulate him from such shenanigans, and maintain plausible deniability.  But someone has almost certainly reached out to at least gauge some candidates' interest.  What do they gain by jumping the gun, you ask?  They hopefully beat Arkansas and Auburn (and maybe Texas and USC) to the punch.  Because you know that those programs' wish lists will have a lot in common with ours.  

At least that's what I believe to be going on.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 12:28:53 EST »

It may be possible that when Hart says "I have not contacted....anyone", that does not preclude something like one of his assistants letting certain agents know that certain coaches are on his "list".  That could well have happened, and not made a liar of him.

But whatever...these details do not matter to me.  What is crystal clear is that he hasn't even begun to make a selection yet, and I am okay with that.

I am certain, whatever the semantics of contacting or not contacting anyone, that he has been thinking about it probably since he set foot on campus, and definitely since we lost to Kentucky and shed 7 of 9 assistants.

So to be clear, he is VERY WELL prepared.  IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 12:31:27 EST »

As Revolver said, semantics.  If he, as AD, were to personally reach out to someone before the position is even officially open, he loses all credibility.  He has people to insulate him from such shenanigans, and maintain plausible deniability.  But someone has almost certainly reached out to at least gauge some candidates' interest.

But that is the defintiion of using a back channel.  Maybe he lied about it, but why?  You use a back channel to insulate yourself, so if you did it, why mention that you have "back channeled no one"?  Heck, just stop at "I have contacted no one."

What do they gain by jumping the gun, you ask?  They hopefully beat Arkansas and Auburn (and maybe Texas and USC) to the punch.  Because you know that those programs' wish lists will have a lot in common with ours. 

At least that's what I believe to be going on.

Eh.  Even if Arkansas, Auburn, Texas and USC have contacted people first, does the order of contact really matter?  They either will have interest or they won't.  I just don't see the need, especially since most/all of the names being thrown around are all still in play.  Even if they have unwritten "agreements" in place, those are worth the paper they are printed on.    I think Hart is doing it right and will get one of his top 5 choices (whoever they happen to be).
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2012, 12:38:51 EST »

It may be possible that when Hart says "I have not contacted....anyone", that does not preclude something like one of his assistants letting certain agents know that certain coaches are on his "list".  That could well have happened, and not made a liar of him.

That is not the quote I used and liked.  It was, "I have . . . back channeled no one."  Again, what you mention makes sense, but that would be back channeling.  Like ReVOLver, I guess that does not matter to many/most people.  As a double graduate and donor/booster, it matters to me.  I prefer that the people who work for my university using my money at least be honest.  I'll drop it now.  I will take him at his word, and I still think the rumors to date have been based on very little in the way of fact (if any fact at all) regardless of who ends up being the head coach (even Gruden, who I think will contact or be contacted by the UTAD).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: