VTTW Board Index
May 12, 2024, 08:15:57 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dave Clawson is the new coach at Wake Forest......  (Read 12548 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 05:43:11 EST »

We flipped OL some this year under Butch...Not unusual to do it.
Really we did it only when we had 6 OL in the game in short yardage situations.  We would sometimes flip the opposite OT to gain leverage on one side of the formation.  I mostly remember Tiny swapping sides on occasion.

In the cases where we had 6 OL in the game usually Crowder came in at C and Stone moved over to LG.  We did better IMO when we had Bullard out as a "TE" which is something he did last year on a semi-regular basis (swapping jerseys when he did it)

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2013, 05:52:14 EST »

Nonsense.  They often looked confused.

Interesting.  Clawson's Boling Green offenses didn't look confused.  

Fact: Clawson was a scapegoat for the Fulmeristas. 

It's not rocket science.  
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 05:57:46 EST by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 03:26:16 EST »

Interesting.  Clawson's Boling Green offenses didn't look confused.  

Fact: Clawson was a scapegoat for the Fulmeristas. 

It's not rocket science.  

Yes, he has had four years to install his system.  He didn't take an existing line and totally change what they were doing.

As for him being a scapegoat, I have never gone there.  It's Fulmer's fault for hiring him in the first place.  Another hire, maybe we do better.  This can easily be supported by pointing out that Lane, or whomever his QB coach was, quickly recognized that Crompton was more comfortable rolling out while throwing because this is what he did in HS.   Adjustment made, Crompton was a good QB his final year.   Someone else besides Clawson should have or could have spotted that.  The mistake Fulmer made, IMO, was to try and change horses in midstream and go with the "trendy" spread offense without having the horses for it.  That's entirely on Fulmer, and unfortunatley it cost him his job.

So my position is that we would be much better off had Fulmer hired an OC that was pro style and thus minimize the amount of change.   And you are correct...that is not rocket science at all, it's pretty obvious.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 03:30:35 EST »

Really we did it only when we had 6 OL in the game in short yardage situations.  We would sometimes flip the opposite OT to gain leverage on one side of the formation.  I mostly remember Tiny swapping sides on occasion.

In the cases where we had 6 OL in the game usually Crowder came in at C and Stone moved over to LG.  We did better IMO when we had Bullard out as a "TE" which is something he did last year on a semi-regular basis (swapping jerseys when he did it)

Right.  And doing it occasionally...I have no problem with that.  But I do recall an article in the KNS circa early November 2008 that said we were doing it on every down that year, and although the OL was very PC, you could tell it bothered them from the "it has been quite an adjustment" comments.

I think trying to radically overhaul an offense while also losing a senior QB did in fact cost Fulmer his job, but water under the bridge now.

It will be interesting to see who Texas hires now that Satan is off the table.    I have a friend who thinks they will have to wait 7 years to be any good again.  Who knows...they might get lucky.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2013, 03:50:52 EST »

Folks can hee and haw and point blame......Fulmer got canned the day Bama hired Saban, he just didn't know it yet. Along with the record below.

0-4 against Meyer
 1-4 against Saban
 3-5 against Richt
 1-4 against Tuberville at Auburn
 2-11 against anybody not named Zook at Florida
 4-9 against Spurrier
 1-2 against Miles
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 04:23:32 EST »

Yes, he has had four years to install his system.  He didn't take an existing line and totally change what they were doing.

As for him being a scapegoat, I have never gone there.  It's Fulmer's fault for hiring him in the first place.  Another hire, maybe we do better.  This can easily be supported by pointing out that Lane, or whomever his QB coach was, quickly recognized that Crompton was more comfortable rolling out while throwing because this is what he did in HS.   Adjustment made, Crompton was a good QB his final year.   Someone else besides Clawson should have or could have spotted that.  The mistake Fulmer made, IMO, was to try and change horses in midstream and go with the "trendy" spread offense without having the horses for it.  That's entirely on Fulmer, and unfortunatley it cost him his job.

So my position is that we would be much better off had Fulmer hired an OC that was pro style and thus minimize the amount of change.   And you are correct...that is not rocket science at all, it's pretty obvious.   

Yep, I never blamed Clawson solely either.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 06:35:28 EST »

Folks can hee and haw and point blame......Fulmer got canned the day Bama hired Saban, he just didn't know it yet. Along with the record below.

0-4 against Meyer
 1-4 against Saban
 3-5 against Richt
 1-4 against Tuberville at Auburn
 2-11 against anybody not named Zook at Floridah
 4-9 against Spurrier
 1-2 against Miles

How can he be 2-11 vs Florida and 4-9 vs Spurrier?  And fwiw thats the best record against sos while soz was at uf.

No doubt his record against meyer and saban suxes...but then again those two did win 5 of the last 7 ncs!  A fact often overlooked by the anti fulmer crowd.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2013, 07:16:57 EST »

How can he be 2-11 vs Florida and 4-9 vs Spurrier?  And fwiw thats the best record against sos while soz was at uf.

No doubt his record against meyer and saban suxes...but then again those two did win 5 of the last 7 ncs!  A fact often overlooked by the anti fulmer crowd.

Easy....He beat SOS at So. Carolina in 2006 & 2007. Lost to SOS at So. Carolina in 2005 & 2008.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: