VTTW Board Index
May 13, 2024, 10:44:25 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Butch Jones and Kevin Sumlin chime in on proposed new rule  (Read 13753 times)
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 12:58:18 EST »

Some are questioning the safety issue; Ok, so Texas Tech ran the most plays per game in the HUNH with 90 plays per game. Stanford had one of the lowest plays per game iat 65 running a standard pro-set offense. Taking that difference in the numbers gives us and additional 25 more plays per game. Figuring a 12 game season, that's 300 more more plays per season for Tech's HUNH in comparison to Stanford.

For those claiming there are no substantiated studies to prove there are more injuries since the advent of the HUNH in today's game, that is true. However, given those above numbers, there is no doubt the more plays a player is involved in, the greater his chances of being injured. Few things are an absolute, but that is one of them.

BG
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:01:42 EST by BGHarper » Logged
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 01:03:52 EST »

Some are questioning the safety issue; Ok, so Texas Tech ran the most plays per game in the HUNH with 90 plays per game. Stanford had one of the lowest plays per game iat 65 running a standard pro-set offense. Taking that difference in the numbers gives us and additional 25 more plays per game. Figuring a 12 game season, that's 300 more more plays per season for Tech's HUNH in comparison to Stanford.

For those claiming there are no substantiated studies to prove there are more injuries the advent of the HUNH in today's game. True, there are no such studies to day, but then again given those above numbers, there is no doubt the more play is involved in, the greater his chances of being injured. Few things are an absolute, but that is one of them.

BG

And yet somehow UGA and UF (two of the SEC's old school offenses) were decimated by injuries this season, while Auburn managed to remain relatively injury-free.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 01:08:28 EST »

Number of plays is being cited as a safety issue, yet the NCAA allows unlimited overtime. And a limit on scholarships.

I don't know why teams can't get defensive subs in against a hurry-up team. If an offense gains 10-15 yards or more, why can't you have defensive subs ready to go in? By the time the offense gets to the new line of scrimmage, the refs spot the ball and the chains move, the defense could get in the subs.

I'm having a hard time believing that this is a change for safety reasons.
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 01:17:01 EST »

And yet somehow UGA and UF (two of the SEC's old school offenses) were decimated by injuries this season, while Auburn managed to remain relatively injury-free.

That still doesn't change the argument that more plays per season equate to more injuries.

BG

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 01:21:08 EST »

That still doesn't change the argument that more plays per season equate to more injuries.

BG

More plays per season increases the possibility of more injuries.

But, in addition to what I said above about overtime and scholarships (and limited travel squads), we now have a 12th game, conference championship games and more bowls than ever before. Do you see a chance that they will cut those back in the name of safety?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 01:26:45 EST »

Honestly, for me, it's not even about the rule itself at this point.  The world will keep spinning whether or not the rule is enacted.  What it IS about is one coach having WAY too much influence on the sport, and per all outward appearances, having a lot of important people in Indy safely tucked away in his back pocket.  Knowing what we know now, what are we supposed to think when bama recruits show up on social media flashing stacks of cash, and the NCAA doesn't even lift a finger to investigate?

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 01:55:31 EST »

For those claiming there are no substantiated studies to prove there are more injuries since the advent of the HUNH in today's game, that is true. However, given those above numbers, there is no doubt the more plays a player is involved in, the greater his chances of being injured. Few things are an absolute, but that is one of them.

Then, as droner points out, they should change the overtime rules, decrease the number of games per season, number of bowl and/or playoff games, etc.  This reminds me of the homeowners association here wanting to ban trailers parked on the neighborhood streets purportedly out of "safety" concerns.  Yet, I have never lived on any roads nearly as wide as the ones here, and there was no record of any accidents or injuries related to a trailer parked on a neighborhood street.  When I called them on it, and said they should just admit it was for purely aesthetic reasons, they said they were being proactive and preventing the potential for accidents and injuries.  So, I asked why they didn't put all-way stop signs at every intersection and reduce the speed limit from 25 to 10 on all neighborhood roads.  Those two things would likely address safety more effectively than the trailer ban.  They wanted it prettier and justified the proposed rule by claiming it was for safety.  The coaches calling for this rule change simply don't like dealing with fast-paced play, so they want to slow the game down by claiming it's a safety issue when other rules changes would address safety much more directly.  You need to call this what it is; a proposed rule change designed by those who don't want to deal with actually defending against the completely legal offenses on the field and within the existing rules.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Then again, your coach wants the change, so you're going to defend it to the end, no matter its illogic.  So be it.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 04:10:46 EST »

Lets change it from 4 quarter game to just 2 quarters.

Come to think about that....don't. Dooley would still be here!!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:28:19 EST by Tnphil » Logged
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 04:06:00 EST »

Some really good comments made, and I appreciate that. Really like good debates on issues, and this board gave us that. As far as some of the comments on the safety issues, some have real merit and I agree with a lot of them.

BG
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 06:24:06 EST »

Nick Saban did not initiate this. Someone from the committee wanted his input, he didn't volunteer it. They asked him to write his opinions-he did. They later called him while he was at Lake Burton, and requested he come and give his thoughts before the committee. He rejected this until another member of the committee requested his appearance.

As far as coming up with a defensive scheme, the Tide was lacking badly at corner, and as far as having a decent pass rush. While another scheme may be beneficial, the type players he recruited at corner (2 5*) and  pass rushers (3 five stars per 247) will go along way. He's going more after the puss rushing DE with quickness (Da'Shaun Hand) than those with size. He's already adapting in his recruiting.

As far my argument that the game wasn't intended to be played with the offense snapping the ball before the defense could either substitute or even set-up. I have no doubt the that was not the intention for the game. I admit I'm old fashion as far as thinking the defense should have the time to set-up, but I honestly like low scoring games with hard hitting, and the HUNH will change all of this. This is the SEC, not the Mountain West.

BG

Horse manure.  Every time something controversial with bammer comes up, there is a chorus...one that is likely orchestrated...of misinformation that comes out.  For instance, when bammer was hit with the scandal over selling textbooks (which affected all athletics, not just football) a particuarl bammer buddy of mind stated that "they were only getting $10!" and he was sincere (of course, he gets a lot of stuff wrong but that's another story).  So every time bammer is caught in something, there is a "A STORY" about how it ain't really that way, or this ishow it really was, et, etc, and "THE STORY" is usually self-serving BS.  I don't see this as any different.

And BTW BG...check your spelling.  Cause I can only hope thi sis true....He's going more after the puss rushing DE with quickness

The more "pusses" saban recruits, the happeri I am.   

OF course, we have all rushed a few....okay I'll stop.  Comedy gold, dude!   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 08:58:12 EST »

Horse manure.  Every time something controversial with bammer comes up, there is a chorus...one that is likely orchestrated...of misinformation that comes out.  For instance, when bammer was hit with the scandal over selling textbooks (which affected all athletics, not just football) a particuarl bammer buddy of mind stated that "they were only getting $10!" and he was sincere (of course, he gets a lot of stuff wrong but that's another story).  So every time bammer is caught in something, there is a "A STORY" about how it ain't really that way, or this ishow it really was, et, etc, and "THE STORY" is usually self-serving BS.  I don't see this as any different.

And BTW BG...check your spelling.  Cause I can only hope thi sis true....He's going more after the puss rushing DE with quickness

The more "pusses" saban recruits, the happeri I am.   

OF course, we have all rushed a few....okay I'll stop.  Comedy gold, dude!   

Geez, I hope "puss" rushing wasn't prophetic! As far as checking my spelling or anything else in my post, I try but I fail far too often...ask Pirate.... me and the edit key are inseparable!

BG
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 05:43:35 EST »

Horse manure.  Every time something controversial with bammer comes up, there is a chorus...one that is likely orchestrated...of misinformation that comes out.  For instance, when bammer was hit with the scandal over selling textbooks (which affected all athletics, not just football) a particular bammer buddy of mind stated that "they were only getting $10!" and he was sincere (of course, he gets a lot of stuff wrong but that's another story).  So every time bammer is caught in something, there is a "A STORY" about how it ain't really that way, or this is how it really was, etc, etc, and "THE STORY" is usually self-serving BS.  I don't see this as any different.

And BTW BG...check your spelling.  Cause I can only hope this is true....He's going more after the puss rushing DE with quickness

The more "pusses" saban recruits, the happier I am.   

Of course, we have all rushed a few....okay I'll stop.  Comedy gold, dude!   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: