VTTW Board Index
May 13, 2024, 09:15:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does CBJ really think that we are that stupid?  (Read 12772 times)
SmokeyJoe
Re:
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2016, 07:24:51 EST »

The topic is Jones being disingenuous. I would agree he is heavy on coach speak. Otherwise I have no opinion. In all honesty, UT doesn't want any part of bama the way the defense is surrendering yards. I can live with injuries & the Hurd fiasco costing us tamu, bama embarrassment, and usce. Not making excuses. Just the facts. If Jones chose to leave on his own, I wouldn't be broken hearted. Otherwise, let's beat Vandy, win our bowl and hopefully continue improving. Make the least of what's past & the most of what's ahead. The only comparable rebuilding job in UT history, under Majors, was far more erratic, and took 9 years to win the SEC. I am disappointed in no SECCG, but still it would be an exercise in futility.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2016, 07:28:54 EST »

Pirate gets it.

Saying he didn't discuss the loss of LSU to Florida is not "unadulterated BS" as Pirate says. It's actually good coaching IMO.

Or do you think he should have mentioned it at hakftime? I dont!

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2016, 07:36:38 EST »

Saying he didn't discuss the loss of LSU to Florida is not "unadulterated BS" as Pirate says. It's actually good coaching IMO.

No he should not have addressed it, nor should he be making a big deal of it now... With a tough game to play.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2016, 07:45:52 EST »

The point was.... winning the East wasn't discussed by him or the team and it wasn't even discussed. So...Butch or his staff or his team didn't have a season goal of winning the East??! You really believe that?

Good grief....it wasn't about him telling the team that LSU lost. Of course a coach doesn't go up and down the sidelines during the game and say well guys.....LSU lost and we didn't win the East.

Some other things said.

Rocky Top Insider ‏@rockytopinsider 8m8 minutes ago
 Jones on losing the East: “You never heard me talk about it, you never heard the players talk about it. Our goal is to be 1-0 every week"

Charlie Garner III ‏@CharlieGarner 21 seconds ago
 Not talking about it? Not feeling that answer. Every year that's talked about! These are standards already set!#VFL

@wesrucker247: Butch: "I'm not gonna sit here and talk about (not winning SEC East). We just won our eighth game. That hasn't been done here in a while."

My gosh Butch....we won 8 regular season games last year.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 08:22:52 EST by Tnphil » Logged
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2016, 08:06:14 EST »

So a certain poster won't be disappointed:

Butch is a MAC level coach.  Period.  Dot.  Period. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2016, 08:45:58 EST »

It seems to me there are two different issues: (1) did the coaches and team talk about winning the east during the week leading up to the Missouri game; and (2) did the coaches and team talk about winning the east prior to the season and when winning the east was within their control?  I can believe they did not do the first, as it was totally out of their hands. I cannot believe they did not do the second, as they are on record as having championships as a goal. Exactly which was he addressing?  From context, it seems to be the first.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2016, 08:46:24 EST »

So a certain poster won't be disappointed:

Butch is a MAC level coach.  Period.  Dot.  Period.
I am disappointed. Let's win out. The damage was done in that three game stretch. He may be MAC. For whatever reason UT doesn't go big for coaches. Maybe he will leave. Is the timing right for a big splash hire? Idk.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2016, 09:32:14 EST »

I'm not looking for UT to fire the coach. It's in the program's best interest for him to succeed. That's what I'm hoping for.

In the video, as a follow up question, someone asks if it is bittersweet due to the fact that 'the east is what you guys and a lot of the players talk about all year'. He responds 'you never heard me talk about it, never heard the players talk about it '.

Seems to be about the 4:00 to 4:30 mark of this video:  https://youtu.be/GEt4p4sgU7M
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2016, 10:13:18 EST »

. . . . . . . . . . with everyone.   

Except me.....we agree!   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2016, 10:41:15 EST »

I'm not looking for UT to fire the coach. It's in the program's best interest for him to succeed. That's what I'm hoping for.

In the video, as a follow up question, someone asks if it is bittersweet due to the fact that 'the east is what you guys and a lot of the players talk about all year'. He responds 'you never heard me talk about it, never heard the players talk about it '.

Seems to be about the 4:00 to 4:30 mark of this video:  https://youtu.be/GEt4p4sgU7M

Well, going back and listening to it, he does have a bit of an attitude about it, and is definitely defensive.  Having said that, his answer is still along the lines of "one game at a time".  Which is consistent with everything that he has always said, and in fact what Saban says is the proper approach.   That is, do your job in this game, win one at a time, and let the championships and rankings take care of themselves.

That's not the same as saying "we didn't have a goal of winning the SEC East".  If you listen to what Butch has said in the past, which is what Saban always says and it's possible that Butch is emulating him, is that you don't talk about outcomes, you talk about what you have to do to win the game you are in.

I can see where the bit of defensiveness he has could rub people the wrong way though, and I think he could have answered the question better.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2016, 10:50:31 EST »

Well, going back and listening to it, he does have a bit of an attitude about it, and is definitely defensive.  Having said that, his answer is still along the lines of "one game at a time".  Which is consistent with everything that he has always said, and in fact what Saban says is the proper approach.   That is, do your job in this game, win one at a time, and let the championships and rankings take care of themselves.

That's not the same as saying "we didn't have a goal of winning the SEC East".  If you listen to what Butch has said in the past, which is what Saban always says and it's possible that Butch is emulating him, is that you don't talk about outcomes, you talk about what you have to do to win the game you are in.

I can see where the bit of defensiveness he has could rub people the wrong way though, and I think he could have answered the question better.

Baaaaaaaaah! 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: