VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 11:47:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well it looks like we can kiss the NCAA goodbye...  (Read 5432 times)
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2012, 09:33:51 EST »

We really needed this one and we're getting our butts kicked. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 04:38:00 EST »

No, we can still make it in, our RPI needs to go up. Don't have a great chance, but we didn't need to win out to make it in.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 05:56:33 EST »

It is nice to think we might could make the bubble after how the year started but there is a reason our record is what it is. We are a flawed team, but we have recently played about as good as we can. Our guard play is average at best and when it has a bad day we can't win. We have some pieces but we need a couple good wings, a pg and more speed.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 08:23:11 EST »

No, we can still make it in, our RPI needs to go up. Don't have a great chance, but we didn't need to win out to make it in.

Well, now I think we definitely DO have to win out.  And probably win a couple in the SECT as well. 

Which brings up an interesting situation.  If we win out, would we be a top 4 seed in the SECT?  And would we even WANT that?  At this point, I think we need as many wins as we can get.  If we were to win out and get a 1st round bye, we'd be missing out on a winnable game against a supposedly weaker opponent.  I think our best case scenario (short of winning the whole thing, of course) would be to win the last 4 in the regular season and get a 5 seed in the SECT.  That would give us two winnable games in New Orleans and allow us to close out on a 6-1 (or better) run.  I think that would be enough to get us to the dance. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 09:22:30 EST »

Good points, let's just win out and win at least two in the SECCT and see what happens.

If it is the NIT, then I hope we win it all is all I can say.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 05:07:23 EST »

Frankly even if they won out they were going to have to win 2 games in the tourney. The thing that people (including me) didn't realize is that Chaminade does not count towards postseason play so the best they can do in the NCAA and NIT selection committees' eyes is 17 wins at this point. I think they have to get to 20 to be considered for the tourney and if they finish in the top 4 of the SEC that would mean they would have to win out and win the SECT which would mean they'd be automatically in. This team is not going to beat SC and LSU back to back on the road, and they aren't good enough to win the SEC T. Kentucky is twice the team that everybody else in the league is. UT is NIT bound.

That being said, I'm extremely happy with where they are going and after the APSU loss I thought they might go 3-13 in the SEC... Cuonzo is doing one hell of a job with what he has and I expect them to be really good next year.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 05:52:54 EST »

Frankly even if they won out they were going to have to win 2 games in the tourney. The thing that people (including me) didn't realize is that Chaminade does not count towards postseason play so the best they can do in the NCAA and NIT selection committees' eyes is 17 wins at this point. I think they have to get to 20 to be considered for the tourney and if they finish in the top 4 of the SEC that would mean they would have to win out and win the SECT which would mean they'd be automatically in. This team is not going to beat SC and LSU back to back on the road, and they aren't good enough to win the SEC T. Kentucky is twice the team that everybody else in the league is. UT is NIT bound.

That being said, I'm extremely happy with where they are going and after the APSU loss I thought they might go 3-13 in the SEC... Cuonzo is doing one hell of a job with what he has and I expect them to be really good next year.

I agree that we have to win our last 3 plus two in the SECT to make it in.  But I don't think it's an impossible task.  We should beat SC- they're the worst team in the league.  LSU will be the toughest of the two road games, and Vandy is a very good team, but I think we can take them at home. I'd give us better than a puncher's chance of winning the next three.  It's not likely, but it wouldn't be a shocker, either.  As I said before, I think the key to winning two in the SECT is to get a 5 seed or lower, so we get that (relatively) easy first round game.  It would also help to land on the other side of the bracket from UK.  Either way, it's looking pretty likely that we won't see them until the semis at the earliest. 

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 07:38:06 EST »

I agree that we have to win our last 3 plus two in the SECT to make it in.  But I don't think it's an impossible task.  We should beat SC- they're the worst team in the league.  LSU will be the toughest of the two road games, and Vandy is a very good team, but I think we can take them at home. I'd give us better than a puncher's chance of winning the next three.  It's not likely, but it wouldn't be a shocker, either.  As I said before, I think the key to winning two in the SECT is to get a 5 seed or lower, so we get that (relatively) easy first round game.  It would also help to land on the other side of the bracket from UK.  Either way, it's looking pretty likely that we won't see them until the semis at the earliest. 

Actually, what I was saying was that we would need to have six more wins to get to the tourney. Winning our last 3 and 2 in the tourney would only get us to 19 tourney eligible wins, and UK in the semis would be the 2nd game we would have to win if we get a bye. With our RPI, we aren't making it in with 19 wins, and if we get UK in the semis, we aren't getting to 19 wins anyway.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 09:00:42 EST »

So if we win out we will likely get screwed by the new seeding rules. What a shock.    
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 09:04:34 EST »

So if we win out we will likely get screwed by the new seeding rules. What a shock.    

LOL... come on, we screwed ourselves when we lost to APSU, Oakland, and Charleston. 

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 10:16:22 EST »

Well yea but what fun is that?   
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 10:32:07 EST »

Well yea but what fun is that?   

It IS more fun to blame the system... WAY TO GO SLIVE! 

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 05:01:57 EST »

Now doesnt that feel better 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: