VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 07:38:24 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am taking a break from this mess.  (Read 5729 times)
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2013, 12:14:10 EDT »

Coaching cost us a shot at this game. Butch is going to have to improve his staff and get away from this speed spread crap. Can't play it if you don't have the players for it, and won't have them next year either.

I know we won't win much regardless, but at least we wouldn't look as lost maybe. This offense is beyond horrid. Geesh! 
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 12:16:57 EDT »

Watching the defense in the second half tells me we don't win this game with any QB. It's closer for longer, but we don't win.

Too early to be upset with the coaching IMO.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 12:30:02 EDT »

Way too early to blame coaching.....well, this coaching staff.   The talent DOES NOT EXIST for the SEC.   No coach could pull out miracles from this team.   No talent + no depth = sucky team!

RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 12:33:11 EDT »

Hit the nail on the head Granny
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 12:35:36 EDT »

And it will take a while to rebuild that talent....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 12:48:46 EDT »

Good recruiting and maybe some JC players to fill in the gaps....two years minimum, more likely three.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 01:47:33 EDT »

While I'd like to point out there's nothing wrong with disagreeing the coaching and discussing it, it really is too early to jump all over Butch.  All of the goals that we all laid out for this season are still there for the taking.
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 01:50:15 EDT »

Way too early to blame coaching.....well, this coaching staff.   The talent DOES NOT EXIST for the SEC.   No coach could pull out miracles from this team.   No talent + no depth = sucky team!

yup. Exactly what I think.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 01:52:16 EDT »

Well said. My thoughts exactly.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 02:56:09 EDT »

It's still tough to watch.......
Peterman has no business on the field.....ever

Go Big Orange.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 03:49:30 EDT »

It's still tough to watch.......
Peterman has no business on the field.....ever

I'm going to cut him some slack...he should not have been put in that position to begin with IMO.   Not saying I want him starting again anytime soon either, but if he comes off the bench at some point I am okay with it.  He was terrible, but nothing that isn't correctable....IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 04:05:34 EDT »

I think Butch needs some slack, but the following is what I question.

Intiial Moves
Letting Chaney and Pittman walk was extremely questionable

AP and WKU
- Why didn't the freshman QBs get snaps?

Oregon
- No excuse for attempting to keep a run/pass balance in lieu of a boring power run game
- No excuse for going hurry-up

Florida
- Based on what was seen today why was Petermen given they keys at all?
- Why was play calling not conservative when we were in field goal range?

Today was an opportunity to have an opportunity to be in position to steal a win, and instead we lost by 14 to a bad Florida offense with a backup QB. This is no the rebuild Kiffin and Dooley faced. We're not nearly talented enough, but our lines aren't bad.

On the plus side we didn't quit. The defense played fairly well aside from Randolph's really bad angle on the long TD.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 04:19:48 EDT by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 04:16:57 EDT »

Coaching cost us a shot at this game. Butch is going to have to improve his staff and get away from this speed spread crap. Can't play it if you don't have the players for it, and won't have them next year either.

I know we won't win much regardless, but at least we wouldn't look as lost maybe. This offense is beyond horrid. Geesh!  

First of all depth is an issue. Think about it.  Kiffin's class of 2009 was a TOTAL washout minus 6 players that are seniors now.  2010 Class was Dooley's first and was a SEC quality class in that we had SEC on our shirts (AKA it was missing SEC worthyness) 2011 was a repeat of 2010 and 2012 was another repeat.  2013 was a little better but Butch had only 6 weeks to put it together.  2014 is shaping up to be a royal flush that builds the foundation for a return of UT to being in the upper level of the SEC.  Butch is working with a frozen solid deck.  Last year AP scores 21 points on that D.  WKU beats UT with UT's defense of last year so Butch is starting towork miracles in bringing UT back to the upper level of the SEC.  Yeah it aint gonna be easy, but Butch is getting UT back into the minds of the recruits.  It takes time to grow a bunch that has been uncoached by the collection of Dooley's syncophantic coaching staff.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 04:18:46 EDT by EmerilVOL » Logged

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 04:26:26 EDT »

AP and WKU

Not a terrible question, but we were already playing two QBs, so I don't have a problem with them not playing...and keeping in mind that many didn't see how Peterman could be worse than Worley, you might not like the answer!

Oregon
- No excuse for attempting to keep a run/pass balance in lieu of a boring power run game

I agree with the second part.  For the first, I think that opportunity was taken away early in the game, and IMO we did stress the run early on.  Heck, our one drive for a TD in the first half looked pretty good actually.

Florida

First one...Good question.  I really hope Butch didn't let fan sentiment sway him.  I think...he gambled and lost.  I also think he should not have gambled to begin with, and he definitely should have quit doubling down if not after the Peterman fumble then for sure after the first pick.

Second one...don't know, but I think this was only an issue once as far as I could tell.  Peterman threw his first INT near midfield, the first TO was on a running play, and the fumble was deep in our own end.  Only on the second INT by Peterman does this question seem relevant to me, but I might have missed something(?).  And for that one drive, it IS a good question, but really it's academic because at that point Peterman should have been on the bench.  IMO.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 04:14:56 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 04:28:40 EDT »

Intiial Moves
Letting Chaney and Pittman walk was extremely questionable
Chaney maybe.  However he wanted an OC that a) ran the offense he wanted to run and b) he was comfortable with. 

AP and WKU

Oregon

We were actually cause Florida issues with the pace of play, really the first time this year we really had hit the gas.  At Oregon most snaps were with around 10-12 seconds on the play clock.

Florida

Who knows what was originally called on the play that resulted in Croom's PI?

Today was an opportunity to have an opportunity to be in position to steal a win, and instead we lost by 14 to a bad Florida offense with a backup QB. This is no the rebuild Kiffin and Dooley faced. We're not nearly talented enough, but our lines aren't bad.

Just like 2001 we could not adapt to a new QB but in reality he was better IMO than The starter.

On the plus side we didn't quit. The defense played fairly well aside from Randolph's really bad angle on the long TD.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 04:31:40 EDT »

Good point on AP and WKU snaps Bandit. There are only so many to go around. I'd like to think practice allowed something of a read on our woeful situation, but it may not have.

As far as going all Johnny Majors today, I was thinking about our first possession (following the botched snap) that began on the 20ish, and our second half possession that started at their 25.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: