VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 07:37:56 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So is it Worley for sure now?  (Read 7579 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2013, 03:53:41 EDT »

Or might we get one of the true freshman for South Alabama?  What do y'all want at this point?
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 03:58:06 EDT »

Here's how I see it.

1) Peterman is permanently removed from the picture. He'll transfer at season's end.

2) Worley was not as egregious as Peterman, but still pretty bad. In addition to the two picks, his decision to throw it away on 4th down was awful. Obviously his last pick was inexcusable given the down and distance.

3) Are either of the two freshmen better? I have no idea, but we have to find out now. Here's why. If they're not o.k. we need to recruit QBs hard.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 04:08:01 EDT »

I think Jones' intent is to redshirt the true freshmen unless his hand is forced. Not the only reason why, but during the Austin Peay game, every player on the roster could have played, and neither of the true freshmen got into the game.

Now, the prospect of entering that monstrous October schedule with an inept offense may force his hand. And if he was going to give one of them a chance, a home game against South Alabama would probably be a pretty good bet. Although I think it's more likely that Worley starts and, if he struggles, Ferguson comes in.

Worley looked somewhat better in the second half. He made his nicest throws of the season. But still far too many mistakes for me to think he's a QB who can win consistently in the SEC.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 04:10:08 EDT »

If either of the freshman were ready, I think we would have seen them by now. Even Fulmer played two at one time.

If we're playing solely for the future, then put the better of them in. What do we have to lose? But if you're playing to somehow scrape by and get a bowl game, I shudder to think, but Worley might be it. After all, if either of the freshman were now better than Worley, they would have already been playing.
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 04:13:22 EDT »

I think we have problems way beyond the QB, though. Our O-line is really not doing particularly well right now. Our receivers are dropping too many balls. Our defense didn't play horribly today, but the inability to seal the edge is very troubling. Muschamp attacked it early and often. He knew what he was doing. I kept saying they would eventually break one, and they did. Our guys were taking poor pursuit angles all night, and their alignment was off all night. Even though Florida only had the one huge play, they were getting yards in chunks all night.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 04:14:44 EDT »

Or might we get one of the true freshman for South Alabama?  What do y'all want at this point?

Worley.  My opinion on him is different than many (are you surprised?  lol).  I think his problems have largely been mental, and thus are fixable.  For instance, against WKU he looked as bad as I have seen anyone in the first half but settled down and played well in the second, yet got little credit for playing better.  He sucked against Oregon, but he hardly was the reason we lost.  We lost because they shredded our D.

I thought the right approach in this game was to start Worley with a short leash.  No question, none at all, that he should start vs. USA.   If he struggles, bench him at some point...maybe the third or fourth series, whatever, but he gives us the best chance to win at this point.

As for the rest of the season, I am not sure he should continue to be "the guy", but you asked about USA.  My answer...not just no, but hell no.

Just MO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 04:24:30 EDT »

I agree Jones probably went into the season hoping to redshirt both the freshmen. That simply won't work. We can't win with Worley. He's not super accurate, and does not make quick decisions. Neither does he make up weaknesses with an ability to run. If the potential is there play a freshman.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 04:36:32 EDT »

Worley.  My opinion on him is different than many (are you surprised?  lol).  I think his problems have largely been mental, and thus are fixable.  For instance, against WKU he looked as bad as I have seen anyone in the first half but settled down and played well in the second, yet got little credit for playing better.  He sucked against Oregon, but he hardly was the reason we lost.  We lost because they shredded our D.

I thought the right approach in this game was to start Worley with a short leash.  No question, none at all, that he should start vs. USA.   If he struggles, bench him at some point...maybe the third or fourth series, whatever, but he gives us the best chance to win at this point.

As for the rest of the season, I am not sure he should continue to be "the guy", but you asked about USA.  My answer...not just no, but hell no.

Just MO.
so throwing a pick into double coverage while 2 (Croom was one) were wide open on the opposite side of the field (they were Down 2-3 corners at this point a one didn't play, one got tossed and I didn't see a third one in the 4th quarter).  On the play I mentioned I the GR if he hits North earlier he has a chance to make a move on the safety.  On a few throws he could have read War and Peace on the receiver's forehead he stared them down enough.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 04:44:49 EDT »

so throwing a pick into double coverage while 2 (Croom was one) were wide open on the opposite side of the field (they were Down 2-3 corners at this point a one didn't play, one got tossed and I didn't see a third one in the 4th quarter). 

Yes that was terrible.  No question.  Decision making is not a genetic trait like speed...it can be learned.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 04:04:52 EDT »

Worley is the guy, but I think the opportunity to start a freshman at QB if that is what they want is after the Georgia game. It would give the staff 2 weeks to get him ready against SC. Let's face it, the most important games are in November as they are the ones that will determine our season. Down that stretch, we need a QB who can make plays - not mistakes.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 04:40:35 EDT »

Start Worley, and play which ever one of the freshmen seem to be more ready right now, and from all reports that appears to be Ferguson.  Got to have two QBs ready to play, even in a rebuilding time like we are in right now.  If something happens to Worley, somebody has to be ready down the road when we actually play some "winable" games. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
JGATOR
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 04:53:04 EDT »

I hope you don't mind an outsider's observation. I have never seen so little talent at UT. Kiffiin and Dooley let the program go down talent-wise. I don't think it makes a difference who the Vols start at QB because I do not think you are going to win many SEC games and I do not think you are going to a bowl game. Even if you do go to a bowl game it won't be for a meaningful championship. I also am making an assumption that the other two QBs have talent.

So, if the above is accurate, I just play Worley and Peterman all season and take my lumps and recruit my butt off. Take the short term pain for long term gain. Build a strong foundation by stockpiling the good players that I think UT can get. Do not waste their eligibility this year unless it is absolutely necessary to field a team. I could possibly see, maybe playing one to create a year of separation between them but I am not sure I would.

I realize that that is a hard thing for a fan. We all want to win now. Hell, even when a team goes undefeated it does not please some because they did not have the flashiest offense or a smothering defense etc... However, you can't build a house by putting up the roof before the walls and foundation. The roof will collapse.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 05:44:25 EDT »

I hope you don't mind an outsider's observation. I have never seen so little talent at UT. Kiffiin and Dooley let the program go down talent-wise. I don't think it makes a difference who the Vols start at QB because I do not think you are going to win many SEC games and I do not think you are going to a bowl game. Even if you do go to a bowl game it won't be for a meaningful championship. I also am making an assumption that the other two QBs have talent.

So, if the above is accurate, I just play Worley and Peterman all season and take my lumps and recruit my butt off. Take the short term pain for long term gain. Build a strong foundation by stockpiling the good players that I think UT can get. Do not waste their eligibility this year unless it is absolutely necessary to field a team. I could possibly see, maybe playing one to create a year of separation between them but I am not sure I would.

I realize that that is a hard thing for a fan. We all want to win now. Hell, even when a team goes undefeated it does not please some because they did not have the flashiest offense or a smothering defense etc... However, you can't build a house by putting up the roof before the walls and foundation. The roof will collapse.

You are correct, and many of us have been saying exactly that for a while, now.  The talent level decline began with Fulmer's last 3-4 years, and continued through that idiot Derek Dooley's tenure.

It's going to take Butch 3 full recruiting classes to see that level increase to the point where UT will be able to get back to the competitive SEC level again. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
SmokeyJoe
Re:
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 05:57:43 EDT »

you are exactly right gator
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 07:27:27 EDT »

Yup
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 09:35:08 EDT »

Peterman's done, maybe he plays some backup this year

Worley is the better of the two, but he isn't very good.

RS the freshmen, and then we have a new starter next yr.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 10:13:22 EDT »

I'll disagree with those saying to redshirt the freshmen. Here's why. Five years is too long a horizon to plan for. IF either is better than Worley play him. We'll be much better this year, and next year. That's about as far down the road as we need to look.

If neither is better than Worley I suggest we all take up bow hunting...and muzzleloading...and develop an interest in the MLB...and yard work...

Creek Walker
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 11:41:05 EDT »

I'll disagree with those saying to redshirt the freshmen. Here's why. Five years is too long a horizon to plan for. IF either is better than Worley play him. We'll be much better this year, and next year. That's about as far down the road as we need to look.

If neither is better than Worley I suggest we all take up bow hunting...and muzzleloading...and develop an interest in the MLB...and yard work...

I agree. IF you can honestly say that Worley will give you a reasonable chance to make it to 6-6, and maybe spring an upset somewhere along the way (although at this point I'm pretty sure we're going to need to technically upset someone to get to 6-6; don't think we're gonna be favorites in many games), maybe you stick with him simply because you know what you're dealing with and you work off the theory that you don't want to throw a true freshman to the wolves and destroy his confidence. Otherwise, burn the redshirt. Even though we have some weak teams on our schedule that favor us getting to the .500 mark, we learned in '11 when Bray went down with the injury just how hard it is to compete in the SEC without an offense.

If Ferguson is showing signs in practice that he can out-play Worley, I play him (and any media type who tries to say that Worley is further along than Ferguson or vice versa is blowing smoke, IMO; Butch doesn't allow enough media access to practice to make those assumptions). Simple as that. The dividends that it will pay are better than redshirting him. We're not going to compete for an SEC East title or an upper-tier bowl regardless of who the QB is, but we have a pretty good recruiting class to salvage and every "splash" win helps — not only to hang on to the recruits we already have verbals for but to help with the big names left on the board, as well as with the '15 recruiting class.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 12:48:37 EDT »

Yep.  Unless Worley is going to be the guy next year come hell or high water you have to get one of those guys some meaningful Saturday snaps, too. 

Got to have 2 QBs ready to play. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 12:57:29 EDT »

As far as recruiting goes, I know it's probably too late to find a decent QB in the 2014 class.  Is there anyone we're in on for 2015?

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 04:36:57 EDT »

Start Worley, and play which ever one of the freshmen seem to be more ready right now, and from all reports that appears to be Ferguson.  Got to have two QBs ready to play, even in a rebuilding time like we are in right now.  If something happens to Worley, somebody has to be ready down the road when we actually play some "winable" games. 

The Armagedon is drawing nigh...this is also what I think.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: