VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 09:21:16 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice  (Read 11342 times)
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2013, 08:30:28 EDT »

I'm entertaining two guys from Connecticut tonight in Knoxville.  Where should we eat for their one and only night in town?
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:33:28 EDT »

Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 08:44:35 EDT »

Golden Corral. You're welcome.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 08:47:12 EDT »

I'm entertaining two guys from Connecticut tonight in Knoxville.  Where should we eat for their one and only night in town?

Who's paying? Are they typical NYC suburban food snobs?

If the answer to the first question is "not Stogie" and the second is "yes," then I'd suggest:

Grill at Highlands Row
Bistro by the Tracks
Bistro at the Bijou

If you're paying and would rather spend a little less and/or they aren't food snobs I think your options open significantly. Calhoun's, Copper Cellar, Downtown Grill, Cru Bistro, Cafe 4 are nice options but less expensive than the above. Take it down a notch and get a burger at Litton's, or if they love beer and would rather have a more bar/entertainment scene, pizza at Barley's. If they want really good pizza, Hard Knox.

Everything I just mentioned is a go-to for me hosting out-of-towners under varying circumstances.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 08:58:36 EDT »

Naples, Chesapeakes, Calhoun's on the river
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 09:02:24 EDT »

Applebee's and Golden Corral are way too high-falootin' for me!

Thanks for the info, CO.  I'm paying but will get reimbursed, so I'm good with wherever.  These guys are not sophisticated, but are somewhat geeky management types. We'll probably end up at one of your suggestions.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 09:03:39 EDT »

Naples, Chesapeakes, Calhoun's on the river

More good options.  Thanks.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 09:15:35 EDT »

We've been to the Grill at Highlands Row a few times in the last year and it's great. Before we went I didn't even know it existed. The interior is sort of high-end hunting lodge but the food is, IMO, better than you'll get most anywhere else in town. They always have grass-fed steak options which are a bit pricey but excellent. I recommend the black peppercorn crust on a steak if you go there.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 09:19:48 EDT »

We're also going to swing by Casual Pint!
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 10:00:34 EDT »

Chesapeake's, Naples, or Ye Olde Steak House. 

Or you could always bring them out to Pal and get them a burger at Hump's.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 02:14:18 EDT »

Is The Roman Room not open anymore? The Roman Room, Krystal and Regas on 17th put about 15 pounds on me while I was at UT.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 05:13:36 EDT »

Taco Bell

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 11:15:31 EDT »

I'm entertaining two guys from Connecticut tonight in Knoxville.  Where should we eat for their one and only night in town?

Tell us of your enchanted evening.  Where'd you end up going?
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 12:31:31 EDT »

Presumably Shoney"s

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 02:35:10 EDT »

Is The Roman Room not open anymore? The Roman Room, Krystal and Regas on 17th put about 15 pounds on me while I was at UT.

How long has it been since you've been on The Strip?

The Roman Room and Sam and Andy's closed about 12 years ago.  Regas on 17th closed way before that. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 02:54:28 EDT »

Going to be on the Strip Friday night.  As long as Gus's is still making sandwiches, I will be a happy guy.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 02:55:15 EDT »

Going to be on the Strip Friday night.  As long as Gus's is still making sandwiches, I will be a happy guy.

You are still good there. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 02:55:26 EDT »

How long has it been since you've been on The Strip?

The Roman Room and Sam and Andy's closed about 12 years ago.  Regas on 17th closed way before that. 

Travesty!

I could eat a Vol Burger with a PBR right now.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 05:21:39 EDT »

Tell us of your enchanted evening.  Where'd you end up going?

i had quite the evening with these fellows.  When I arrived to pick them up, they were arguing over which Wizard of Oz characters needed a heart and a brain.

We head to Knoxville and stop in at Barley's for some refreshment and to plan out the rest of the evening. As we were getting out of the vehicle, one of them noticed The Jig and Reel.  He went a little nutty over it stating that he was married in Scotland, rented a castle and toured the country since he was of Scottish descent.

While at Barley's they mentioned they wanted to go somewhere with live music.  I thought that might be a tough task for a Wednesday night, but guess who had someone playing? Yup, The Jig and Reel had Ed Snodderly on stage.  We found out that Ed Snodderly also had a small cameo in Brother, Where Art Thou and the fellow of Scottish descent went nuts again claiming that's in his top 10 favorite movies.

We spent the rest of the evening at The Jig and Reel.  The food was actually pretty good and the entertainment was not bad at all.  Both fellows began to speak with pretty good, heavy Scottish accents and fun was had by all within earshot of our table.

I returned home to Morristown to discover my work laptop had been stolen out of one of my vehicles.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 05:51:51 EDT »

i had quite the evening with these fellows.  When I arrived to pick them up, they were arguing over which Wizard of Oz characters needed a heart and a brain.

We head to Knoxville and stop in at Barley's for some refreshment and to plan out the rest of the evening. As we were getting out of the vehicle, one of them noticed The Jig and Reel.  He went a little nutty over it stating that he was married in Scotland, rented a castle and toured the country since he was of Scottish descent.

While at Barley's they mentioned they wanted to go somewhere with live music.  I thought that might be a tough task for a Wednesday night, but guess who had someone playing? Yup, The Jig and Reel had Ed Snodderly on stage.  We found out that Ed Snodderly also had a small cameo in Brother, Where Art Thou and the fellow of Scottish descent went nuts again claiming that's in his top 10 favorite movies.

We spent the rest of the evening at The Jig and Reel.  The food was actually pretty good and the entertainment was not bad at all.  Both fellows began to speak with pretty good, heavy Scottish accents and fun was had by all within earshot of our table.

I returned home to Morristown to discover my work laptop had been stolen out of one of my vehicles.

I'm glad you liked Jig and Reel. I haven't been there yet but have been thinking about trying it.

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 05:56:05 EDT »

I'm glad you liked Jig and Reel. I haven't been there yet but have been thinking about trying it.

My original plan was to take them to Grill at Highland Row at your suggestion, but the live music thing kicked in.  I'm going to put all your suggestions on my to do list, though.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 05:58:09 EDT »

thieves. I hope the battery explodes on them

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 06:02:39 EDT »

Well I'm never leaving one of my vehicles at your work again.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 07:28:33 EDT »

Well I'm never leaving one of my vehicles at your work again.

It was parked at my dad's house.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 07:50:28 EDT »

Travesty!

I could eat a Vol Burger with a PBR right now.

Fortunately you still can, but you have to go to the Sam and Andy's in Farragut to do so. 

The positive is that there is still an S&A's run by the Captain family in town, although one does have to drive to Farragut for it.  They also combined the menus of the Roman Room and S&A's so you can get pretty much anything you could at either of those old Strip establishments. 

George is no longer there, however.  He retired when the Roman Room closed. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: