VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 12:35:52 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The truth is that this team has gotten a lot better since G state.  (Read 3129 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2019, 05:21:08 EDT »

I mean a LOT better. The play of the OL and DL has had a lot to do with it, as has the improved play of the defense overall. The OL has afforded the QB time - and also Maurer, if he is healthy, can make plays.

The truth is we played Bama toe-to-toe at Tuscaloosa. One play was the factor in it being 28-20 in the third or 35-13. Matt Jones wasn't looking that good. Who knows what happens had we scored.

Then we beat SCe 41-21 - a team that beat UGA and played UF tough.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 06:41:14 EDT »

Game prep/Game plan/coaching has gotten a lot better too.  It all works together, of course.  Good OL play makes a lot of things better.
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 06:59:07 EDT »

I was maybe in the Top 5% in the "Jeremy Pruitt's Loudest Critics" category. As far as I'm concerned, he's worked wonders with this team.

I just hope he can sustain it and pick up some steam on the recruiting trail. We're losing a lot of guys after this season that have been a key part of that improvement.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 07:19:42 EDT »

I was maybe in the Top 5% in the "Jeremy Pruitt's Loudest Critics" category. As far as I'm concerned, he's worked wonders with this team.

I just hope he can sustain it and pick up some steam on the recruiting trail. We're losing a lot of guys after this season that have been a key part of that improvement.

Yep, gotta finish strong unlike last year.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 08:05:59 EDT »

We're losing Callaway, Jennings, Bituli, Warrior, Taylor - in terms of key guys.

I think we're good everywhere but WR corps will have to step up next yr

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 08:17:22 EDT »

I mean a LOT better. The play of the OL and DL has had a lot to do with it, as has the improved play of the defense overall. The OL has afforded the QB time - and also Maurer, if he is healthy, can make plays.

The truth is we played Bama toe-to-toe at Tuscaloosa. One play was the factor in it being 28-20 in the third or 35-13. Matt Jones wasn't looking that good. Who knows what happens had we scored.

Then we beat SCe 41-21 - a team that beat UGA and played UF tough.
If Alabummer does not get the bogus call with the "flagrant personal foul" called on Taylor when he sacked the QB then it might even had been 21 - 20 and a really tight game.  That personal foul was a bs call from every stretch of the imagination and even the ESPN bummer homers called it bs as well.  The holding call when Jennings runs down to the 1 when JG lost his helmet and then the personal foul were two of the most BS calls I have seen out of the SEC Bummer Homer refs.  I almost asked several if it was because USC had just beaten UGA as well so that the SEC did not want Bummer getting a loss too.

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 08:38:04 EDT »

Bama isn't going to win the SEC this year. Defense isn't good enough IMO

Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 08:41:44 EDT »

We're losing Callaway, Jennings, Bituli, Warrior, Taylor - in terms of key guys.

I think we're good everywhere but WR corps will have to step up next yr

And those are arguably the 5 best guys on the field every Saturday. The way Trey Smith is playing right now, I'm not convinced he'll be back...though I hope he is. And we lose Kennedy, who's playing at a very high level on the OL right now.

The WR corps is most concerning. Obviously it's the loss of #1 and #15 that hurts the most, but we're also losing Tyler Byrd and Brandon Johnson. Josh Palmer is our only notable WR who is back. Those top 3 WRs have really bailed us out a lot this year. They don't miss opportunities to catch the ball.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 09:24:16 EDT »

And those are arguably the 5 best guys on the field every Saturday. The way Trey Smith is playing right now, I'm not convinced he'll be back...though I hope he is. And we lose Kennedy, who's playing at a very high level on the OL right now.

The WR corps is most concerning. Obviously it's the loss of #1 and #15 that hurts the most, but we're also losing Tyler Byrd and Brandon Johnson. Josh Palmer is our only notable WR who is back. Those top 3 WRs have really bailed us out a lot this year. They don't miss opportunities to catch the ball.

Maybe it's just the orange colored glasses talking and wishful thinking, but seems to me it would benefit Trey to come back.  Just seems like an NFL team would look at him and say "there isn't really enough evidence after the blood clot thing came up to prove it won't be a problem going forward".  Seems like him having another successful year like he's having this year would be important to minimize fears of NFL scouts.

Also regarding WR's, I've heard talking heads say Deangelo Gibbs will be a contributor day 1 next year.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 10:12:53 EDT »

Maybe it's just the orange colored glasses talking and wishful thinking, but seems to me it would benefit Trey to come back.  Just seems like an NFL team would look at him and say "there isn't really enough evidence after the blood clot thing came up to prove it won't be a problem going forward".  Seems like him having another successful year like he's having this year would be important to minimize fears of NFL scouts.

Also regarding WR's, I've heard talking heads say Deangelo Gibbs will be a contributor day 1 next year.

Right now I'd say it's better than 60% chance Trey returns but you never know between now and then. Last season before Trey had health issues that derailed his season he was playing out of position at tackle....his future is at guard in the NFL. He missed the rest of the season last year and was pretty much done for the Winter...Spring and most of the Summer except for some weight and conditioning training. He also was very limited when camp started until they got his treatment schedule under control and saw how it was going to work out and so far so good. Even right now he's limited in practice during the week due to treatment schedule.

A healthy and top playing Trey would be a 1st round pick....not sure right now because of health issues he would be a 1st round pick. I heard on TV yesterday that 2 NFL offensive linemen were out right now due to lung blood clots. Thought that was interesting.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 10:47:03 EDT »

Brandon Johnson redshirted this year, and DeAngelo Gibbs will be eligible, but we are losing a lot.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 05:32:53 EDT »

Josh Palmer is back and Keyon has showed some flashes.  It's hard, very hard to replace Jennings and Calloway, and we won't, but at the same time WR is a position where inexperienced players can step up.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 03:27:50 EDT »

If Trey comes back, and Kennedy gets a 6th year of eligibility.... our OL is going to be really really good.  And we get all our RB's back.

I say that to say, a good run game will make life a little easier for the WR's.   
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 10:02:02 EDT »

Maybe it's just the orange colored glasses talking and wishful thinking, but seems to me it would benefit Trey to come back.  Just seems like an NFL team would look at him and say "there isn't really enough evidence after the blood clot thing came up to prove it won't be a problem going forward".  Seems like him having another successful year like he's having this year would be important to minimize fears of NFL scouts.

Yes Gibbs is an elite athlete, Georgia transfer. He will be good.

We do have some good young OL though. Wanya and Wright are studs. Calbert and Carvin are studs. I have heard Chris Aporgknene (sp?) is very good.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: