VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 02:12:13 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Auburn in "serious discussions" with Bruce Pearl.........  (Read 3907 times)
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2014, 06:53:04 EDT »

You guys may already know, but I didn't until it was reported on the local news. Auburn's 247 site has an article up for those with a 247 account.

BG
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 03:59:11 EDT »

I would imagine that every school with an opening will be all over him.  That's probably why Auburn fired Barbee so quickly, so they could get in first.

Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 04:06:24 EDT »

What really disgusts me about this situation is the fact that Dave Didion is on the staff at Auburn...so by making Pearl their top pick, Auburn is sending a clear message that blows all those theories about why Tennessee SHOULDN'T rehire Pearl right out of the water.

Obviously it's a moot point for Tennessee now, because we're headed to the NCAA Tournament and you can't just fire a coach who has just taken your team to the NCAA Tournament. But next season, when Tennessee is struggling to win more than 12-13 games and looks clueless on the court without McRae, and Auburn is filling the arena to the rafters every night, I'm gonna want to puke at the mere thought of college basketball.  
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 07:51:50 EDT »

I would imagine that every school with an opening will be all over him.  That's probably why Auburn fired Barbee so quickly, so they could get in first.

Yep, BDV. Wish we had an opening so we could have hired him. Battle says he's behind Grant but I doubt the team is. Great hire for Auburn if they can come to terms.

BG

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 07:58:29 EDT »

What really disgusts me about this situation is the fact that Dave Didion is on the staff at Auburn...so by making Pearl their top pick, Auburn is sending a clear message that blows all those theories about why Tennessee SHOULDN'T rehire Pearl right out of the water.

Obviously it's a moot point for Tennessee now, because we're headed to the NCAA Tournament and you can't just fire a coach who has just taken your team to the NCAA Tournament. But next season, when Tennessee is struggling to win more than 12-13 games and looks clueless on the court without McRae, and Auburn is filling the arena to the rafters every night, I'm gonna want to puke at the mere thought of college basketball.  

That's it. CW. Pearl is an instant attraction and pure entertainment, besides being a great coach. In a football crazed state, those attraction and entertainment factors are big in getting the fans immediately in the seats.

BG
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 08:43:14 EDT »

Until I hear it from Bruce Pearl himself, it is all rumor and conjecture.  All we have is a report from a group of knuckle-heads and sportswriters.  Just think back before Butch was hired, we had word that we could take to the bank that Gruden had been hired.  It came from a source on the inside that it was a done deal.

I am sure the Auburn fans hope it is Pearl.  I am also sure that the sites will say anything to get them and keep them on-line or listening.  That is how they make money.

Do I know Pearl is not negotiating with Auburn? No.
Do I think Pearl will take the first job offered? No
Do I think Pearl can do better than Auburn? Yes.

That is JMO and I have been wrong before.  I also do not care because I cannot get upset over things I have no control over.
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 09:45:16 EDT »

Until I hear it from Bruce Pearl himself, it is all rumor and conjecture.  All we have is a report from a group of knuckle-heads and sportswriters.  Just think back before Butch was hired, we had word that we could take to the bank that Gruden had been hired.  It came from a source on the inside that it was a done deal.

I am sure the Auburn fans hope it is Pearl.  I am also sure that the sites will say anything to get them and keep them on-line or listening.  That is how they make money.

Do I know Pearl is not negotiating with Auburn? No.
Do I think Pearl will take the first job offered? No
Do I think Pearl can do better than Auburn? Yes.

That is JMO and I have been wrong before.  I also do not care because I cannot get upset over things I have no control over.

I hope he doesn't go to Auburn and certainly hope you are correct. However, Pearl reportedly was on JOX radio in B'ham Friday and said he was interested in the Auburn job. Some posters on the Auburn 247 site say it probably won't happen since they are an Under-Armour school, and consequently at a disadvantage in recruiting with Nike schools, and to a smaller extent with Adidas, due to their ties with AAU basketball. I do know UT is a Adidas school, and while their pull with players is as not as great as Nike, it sure seems it didn't hurt Pearl at UT. Anyway, as I said, I hope you are right.

BG
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 09:54:50 EDT »

Pearl has publicly said that if Auburn wants to talk to him, he'll listen.

Comparing what has been reported about Pearl-to-Auburn with what was reported about Gruden-to-UT is apples-to-oranges. With the exception of a guy at the Times Free Press who is a complete moron, the only mainstream sports reporter who reported anything about Gruden coming to UT was a television guy from Memphis who was being pawned.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 10:04:31 EDT »

I hope he doesn't go to Auburn and certainly hope you are correct. However, Pearl reportedly was on JOX radio in B'ham Friday and said he was interested in the Auburn job. Some posters on the Auburn 247 site say it probably won't happen since they are an Under-Armour school, and consequently at a disadvantage in recruiting with Nike schools, and to a smaller extent with Adidas, due to their ties with AAU basketball. I do know UT is a Adidas school, and while their pull with players is as not as great as Nike, it sure seems it didn't hurt Pearl at UT. Anyway, as I said, I hope you are right.

BG

UT WAS an Adidas school.  Just switched to Nike.   

All this talk of Pearl going to Auburn suxes...I want him back here!   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: