VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 10:27:32 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So let me propose a scenario...  (Read 1900 times)
Creek Walker
« on: March 16, 2013, 02:27:30 EDT »

UT loses to Alabama by 10 and Lunardi shuffles them from Last 4 In all the way to the bottom of the First 4 Out.

Kentucky is down 14 to Vandy at the half.

If that holds and Vandy wins big, UK will still go the tourney. That's my bet. Whether UT will or not, I don't know.

Is that fair? Coming into today, UT and UK had virtually identical resumes. UT did win one in the conference tournament, for whatever that's worth, while UK (if the score holds) would have won none.

Is a 10-point loss to Alabama any better than a lopsided loss to Vanderbilt? I think so. So in what world does UK, who UT beat by 30 just a few weeks ago, deserve to be in and UT out?

Probably the same world in which an MTSU team that also won one and then went home in their tournament gets an at-large berth ahead of UT with the least number of wins over top 100 RPI teams in the history of NCAA at-large berths.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 02:36:44 EDT »

Here's what really sucks: Our tournament profile was hurt more by beating MSU than by losing to bammer.  They're one of, if not THE worst major conference team in the country.  Our RPI and SOS took a beating as soon as that game tipped off.  We would have been better off forfeiting that one and throwing ourselves on the mercy of the selection committee.   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 09:17:13 EDT »

Here's what really sucks: Our tournament profile was hurt more by beating MSU than by losing to bammer.  They're one of, if not THE worst major conference team in the country.  Our RPI and SOS took a beating as soon as that game tipped off.  We would have been better off forfeiting that one and throwing ourselves on the mercy of the selection committee.   

pffft...no.  If beating them was bad, then losing would be worse dude.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 09:38:06 EDT »

pffft...no.  If beating them was bad, then losing would be worse dude.   

No, a forfeit would not even be entered into the formula (at least as I understand it).  It would have also spared us from having to play in the 2nd round, a game that historically is almost a guaranteed loss.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 10:15:23 EDT »

Going back to Walker's original post, if UK makes it and we don't then I will be pretty pissed because we put a 30-point beat down on them.

And BDV, it might not enter the formula but there are human beings on the committee who will certainly not reward a team that doesn't want to play someone as bad as MSU.   I do understand that you are only trying to make a point though lol.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: