VTTW Board Index
May 18, 2024, 10:09:45 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You all know that I love Tennessee Football....  (Read 7087 times)
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2013, 12:43:01 EDT »

but today, reading some of the posts here while sitting with my Daddy in the VA home here in Knoxville, I really realized how ridiculous it is to get upset over a football game.  I love the Vols as much as anyone here...and will always Bleed Orange....but right now, my priority is spending as much time with my Daddy as I can before I lose him.    He likely will never come home again....and with his dementia, he's mean and hateful to most anyone around him....but he's my Daddy and I love him with all my heart.  (I am the baby and the only girl, so I'm definitely a Daddy's girl!     )

So for those snipping at each other -- just take a step back and realize that this is just 1 day in the rest of your life...and when you look at it, it's a W on the books.    There are more important things than football.

Oh, and BTW....you are all my friends -- I love you all!      Take care and know that life is too short to let this get us down.  The Vols will be back...and Coach Jones is likely the guy to do it!

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 12:55:05 EDT »

That's a very good word for us, Granny. Thanks.  Enjoy your time with your daddy.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 12:57:08 EDT »

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 01:02:21 EDT »

I used to stew over a loss for a week.  Now I'm pretty much over it by the time I get to the car.
VOLveeta
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 01:08:22 EDT »

As usual, I had to work.  Stuck up at Emory and Henry all day shooting headshots so I was clueless as to what was going on.  And... man does it make for a less stressful life.  And that makes me realize, if I have to NOT watch in order to be "happy", that's pathetic.  It's just a game and too much of my "anger" comes from everything I can't control.  Pure stupid-ness.  (Stupidness is now a word, I say so).  It's silly to let something so insignificant mess with my head, and it certainly has in the past. 

We have an awesome school and great kids wearing the uniform.  I'm pledging to be grateful for improvement and a competitive spirit.  We'll get there when we get there.
SmokeyJoe
Re:
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 01:27:30 EDT »

As usual, I had to work.  Stuck up at Emory and Henry all day shooting headshots so I was clueless as to what was going on.  And... man does it make for a less stressful life.  And that makes me realize, if I have to NOT watch in order to be "happy", that's pathetic.  It's just a game and too much of my "anger" comes from everything I can't control.  Pure stupid-ness.  (Stupidness is now a word, I say so).  It's silly to let something so insignificant mess with my head, and it certainly has in the past. 

We have an awesome school and great kids wearing the uniform.  I'm pledging to be grateful for improvement and a competitive spirit.  We'll get there when we get there.

boom!
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 01:34:09 EDT »

Im with you granny....VFL and i am proud of our coach and most of our team.

Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 01:45:36 EDT »

I empathize with you, GV.  Went through a similar period of life when my late Dad suffered strokes.   It will not be easy, but spending this time with your father will be something you will never regret.  You are blessed to have the opportunity.  I will pray for your father and for your family.  You are right, football is absolutely nothing when faced with life's true callings and priorities.

crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 03:48:53 EDT »

I used to stew over a loss for a week.  Now I'm pretty much over it by the time I get to the car.
I've become so numb to it I'm usually over it before the game is over..Sad but all you can do is look forward to better days to come and I do believe Coach Jones will get it done..he just doesn't have much to work with this year...
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 05:49:12 EDT »

Guys,

I stopped being concerned about football the night a Tennessee State trooper knocked on my door and said my only son died in a car wreck. Since then, my only worry and concern has been to keep my wife and myself from going insane with grief. Occasionally I am not convinced I have been successful.

Football is trivial compared with real life. It is a game played by young men. And I could care less what the fans from other schools think.

Do I want Vols to succeed? Hell Yes.  Do I get upset when they lose? Yes.  Does it really matter? No.

Some of you people need to get a life.  Really, I mean it.

Don't sweat the petty stuff.  And don't pet the sweaty stuff.
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 06:25:40 EDT »

but today, reading some of the posts here while sitting with my Daddy in the VA home here in Knoxville, I really realized how ridiculous it is to get upset over a football game.  I love the Vols as much as anyone here...and will always Bleed Orange....but right now, my priority is spending as much time with my Daddy as I can before I lose him.    He likely will never come home again....and with his dementia, he's mean and hateful to most anyone around him....but he's my Daddy and I love him with all my heart.  (I am the baby and the only girl, so I'm definitely a Daddy's girl!     )

So for those snipping at each other -- just take a step back and realize that this is just 1 day in the rest of your life...and when you look at it, it's a W on the books.    There are more important things than football.

Oh, and BTW....you are all my friends -- I love you all!      Take care and know that life is too short to let this get us down.  The Vols will be back...and Coach Jones is likely the guy to do it!

I will keep all of you in my prayers. Love ya'.

G
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 02:08:31 EDT »

Granny, I didn't know your Dad's condition had gotten so bad. Football is a once a week game, family is forever. He's the only Daddy you'll ever have, and I pray your time with him now will be filled with love. 
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 02:43:35 EDT »

Iris, he was in the hospital a couple of weeks ago with congestive heart failure, pneumonia, strep infection in blood and kidneys. And he had a heart attack some time recently.   A miracle he survived, but mom realized she could no longer care for him.   So he's in the Ben Atchley Veterans home...I don't expect he'll ever come home again...we'll see.  He is getting good care there and I'm trying to go up every other week end.     Hard to see him like this.....the dementia has him very confrontational at times and we have to treat him like a 2 year old having a temper tantrum.   I got there yesterday morning and he refused to let the CNA dress him, he threw his urinal..and I had to get him straightened out when I got there.   The one good thing is that he still knows all of us....

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 03:11:56 EDT »

Whoa Granny. I had no idea you are going through that. I'm praying everyone has peace.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 04:23:36 EDT »

Granny,

I understand what you are going through and the emotions you have. You and your family have my prayers. My mother-in-law suffered through dementia for years.

You do not know me, but if I can offer any help, please PM me.  I live 15-20 minutes from Ben Atchley.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 11:11:58 EDT »

it is being played by kids. Some things are just not important. Vols will compete again someday. Hope everything goes just as well as it can for you and your family.

volsboyinsodak
tngamecock
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 06:12:22 EDT »

Great post............and I'm not a UT fan.  God bless your family during this time.  Hats off to you for doing the right thing and taking care of dad best you can. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: