VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 10:14:15 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If Mizzou is team 14  (Read 7785 times)
Volcreed
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2011, 06:28:46 EDT »

Could it mean the end of Alabama vs. Tennessee yearly game?

If you keep the same scheduling formula with Auburn Moving east.

Auburn-Alabama
Florida-LSU
USC-Arkie
Ole Miss-Vandy
Miss St-Kentucky
Georgia--Open----Auburn now in division
Tennessee Open--Alabama Moved to Auburn.

Move back to 1 rotating.

Model 12
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 12:11:20 EDT »

Interesting reading on the MU board.  These guys have been 1000 miles an hour for 3 weeks on conference realignment. 

www.tigerboard.com

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 02:49:38 EDT »

I'd say that conference realignment is going to put a strain on the yearly matchup with Alabama no matter how you shake it. Which sucks, but it's apparently what everyone wants (the realignment, that is).

There have been a few people already advocating for this series to end as an annual meeting, including Tennessee's very own (and much loved) John Adams.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 03:41:40 EDT »

Just add one conference game and we can keep the matchup. Instead 5-1-2 schedule it would be a 6-1-2 schedule.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 03:57:39 EDT »

Just add one conference game and we can keep the matchup. Instead 5-1-2 schedule it would be a 6-1-2 schedule.

The problem is if Mizzou is the 14th team and Auburn comes east, as some have speculated, there's no way for Alabama to play two East teams each year, and Alabama-Auburn will always trump Alabama-Tennessee.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 04:04:57 EDT »

I'd say that conference realignment is going to put a strain on the yearly matchup with Alabama no matter how you shake it. Which sucks, but it's apparently what everyone wants (the realignment, that is).

There have been a few people already advocating for this series to end as an annual meeting, including Tennessee's very own (and much loved) John Adams.

Not that I agree, but I can see the reasoning of those who would want to end that rivalry.  Losing to bammer sucks, but beating them could be even worse- some redneck psychopath could blow up the Vol Navy, or inject Smoky with parvo.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 04:05:39 EDT »

The problem is if Mizzou is the 14th team and Auburn comes east, as some have speculated, there's no way for Alabama to play two East teams each year, and Alabama-Auburn will always trump Alabama-Tennessee.

There is if you go to two permanent opposite division opponents and one rotating, like we did for the first few years of expansion.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 04:12:31 EDT »

There is if you go to two permanent opposite division opponents and one rotating, like we did for the first few years of expansion.

True, but would that be deemed as being in the best interest of the conference in the long term? I don't think it would be. I just don't think there are enough natural rivalries in the SEC to pull that off. Which West team gets lucky and draws Vandy every year?
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 04:31:34 EDT »

That is for 14 teams. Since they are both to the west of us I wonder if the SEC isn't considering going for 2 more teams to make an even 16. If so we could split into 4 different groups. If we do that I don't think it would be a problem to keep traditional rivalries.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 04:38:44 EDT »

That is for 14 teams. Since they are both to the west of us I wonder if the SEC isn't considering going for 2 more teams to make an even 16. If so we could split into 4 different groups. If we do that I don't think it would be a problem to keep traditional rivalries.

This has my vote. 15 teams in 3 divisions or 16 teams in 4 divisions. Either would necessitate a 2-round playoff but I think the SEC can swing that. The only tricky part would be matching reasonable geography with power balance, but it could be done.

* With 5 team divisions, you'd have 4 division games, perhaps 2 interdivision rivalries, and 2-3 rotating games.

* With 4 team divisions, you'd have 3 division games, 2-3 interdivision rivalries, and 3-4 rotating games.

Either of those is workable and IMO would easily preserve the major rivalries in the conference. It might even accommodate bringing a couple back.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 05:44:19 EDT »

This has my vote. 15 teams in 3 divisions or 16 teams in 4 divisions. Either would necessitate a 2-round playoff but I think the SEC can swing that. The only tricky part would be matching reasonable geography with power balance, but it could be done.

* With 5 team divisions, you'd have 4 division games, perhaps 2 interdivision rivalries, and 2-3 rotating games.

* With 4 team divisions, you'd have 3 division games, 2-3 interdivision rivalries, and 3-4 rotating games.

Either of those is workable and IMO would easily preserve the major rivalries in the conference. It might even accommodate bringing a couple back.

If OK (& OK St) and tejas bolt to the Pac12 (16) then I see the SEC going to 16 sooner rather than later. 
Most likely we pull two from the remains of the SWC (Big XX) and two from the ACC/Big Least. 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
genemcever
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 05:51:32 EDT »

3 divisions of 5 teams each might create my dream division:

Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, and Vandy.  It's balanced and it re-creates the Auburn rivalry.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 07:37:51 EDT »

Missouri seems the most likely candidate at this point.  They have a reasonably good recent tradition, and would fit in other ways (kind of like Kentucky, but better at football).  They also bring St. Louis and Kansas City, though I have no idea how important those are to TV, but I bet they ain't chopped liver.

As for the two-game playoff...I am not sure the NCAA would approve that.  They already allow an exemption for one conference title game. Perhaps if the conference waived it's right to play in things like the Kickoff Classic?  Or is that even an extra game anymore?

Multiple divisions would be exciting though, that's for sure.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 07:39:44 EDT »

One other thought...what about adding a small academically-oriented school in a big TV market. Rice is in Houston and SMU is in Dallas.  Either would bring a large TV market and academic credibility.

I am only semi-serious, but think about it.  We have to have Vandy in the East, it's only fair that the West get it's very own p*ssy school.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 08:54:36 EDT »

Personally I think a 15 team league sucks.  That way at least one team every week has a bye or out of conference game.  That's fine but the last month of the season should consist of nothing but conference games.  So say I, the football purist.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: