VTTW Board Index
May 08, 2024, 01:41:21 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We got Von Pearson  (Read 4133 times)
Creek Walker
« on: October 20, 2013, 07:31:51 EDT »

Wide Receiver U! 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 08:07:00 EDT »

Way too many top prospects still considering us and way too few slots left.  Something is going to have to give.  If Malone, Garrett, Hendrix, and the Berrys all want to come (and they very well might), you can't turn them away.  But by the numbers we only have, what, two slots left? 

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 08:31:26 EDT »

OK, I hadn't heard of Pearson before, so I went and looked him up on the recruiting sites.  Rivals and Scout haven't even evaluated him, and list no other offers from big schools.  But 247 has him as a 4*.  Curious.  Then I found this video, and holy crap.  How does a kid with this much skill slip through the cracks?  He has the speed to run by you, the shiftiness to beat you in the open field, the power to run you over, amazing hands (check out all the one-handed catches) and ridiculous vertical.  He's not afraid to go over the middle, and he even delivers some downfield pancake blocks.  Posters on other sites are saying that he'll be at least a 4* on Rivals and Scout when their next ratings come out.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1748229/

Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 10:04:52 EDT »

His vids are unreal. This kid alongside Marquez North? Yeah, I'll take that.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 10:29:27 EDT »

This is the problem when you take so many verbals early.  Having to recruit over commits can be a double edged sword. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 10:31:53 EDT »

This is the problem when you take so many verbals early.  Having to recruit over commits can be a double edged sword. 

Perhaps, but I'll take this problem. There are one or two more guys I'm confident won't stay among our commitments, so I don't see it being a major issue. If you don't get all that attention early in the recruiting process, maybe it doesn't go as well with the later guys . . . who knows. This is a good problem to have though.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 10:40:48 EDT »

Perhaps, but I'll take this problem. There are one or two more guys I'm confident won't stay among our commitments, so I don't see it being a major issue. If you don't get all that attention early in the recruiting process, maybe it doesn't go as well with the later guys . . . who knows. This is a good problem to have though.

The rub is when a school where the recruited over player has another potential recruit whom a school is interested in.  Pulling early offers based on running out of scholly spots doesn't go over very well with high school coaches, and in many instances high school coaches do carry a lot of weight. 

Right now Butch has to do it in order to raise the talent level as quickly as possible, but there is a risk. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 11:45:41 EDT »

Yeah, I'll take this problem over some of the recruiting issues we've had in recent years.  Remember when Fulmer and Kiffin went a full 3 years without signing a QB who made it campus (and running off future All-Stars Tajh Boyd and Bryce Petty)?  And went 2 years without signing a single O-lineman, while signing 2 kickers and 3 TEs in the same class?  I'm pretty sure that Fulmer, at the end, was just throwing a bunch of offers out there and taking the first 25 guys to commit, regardless of need.  And don't get me started on Dooley.  He'd land a few headliners early and then fill out the class with a bunch of guys who have no business playing in a BCS league.  
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 11:49:20 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 05:31:08 EDT »

That didn't take long.  Pearson is now a 4* on all services.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 04:54:31 EDT »

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: