VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 10:10:44 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting answers to questions about Worley...  (Read 4418 times)
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2013, 09:23:53 EDT »

...by Coach Jones during his press conference.  As much as I like the effort Worley has given the past two games, I left the SC game still thinking that he has a lot of work remaining to become a good SEC QB.  When asked where Worley is right now, Coach Jones said, "Developing."  After complimenting Worley's growth in leadership skills and consistency, he said (and I am paraphrasing from notes): "Now it's setting your feet in the pocket, trusting your eyes, making good decisions.  It's functional intelligence, taking what you've learned in the classroom to the field.  Taking care of the football.  He's made great strides.  It's in him.  We see it.  Now he needs confidence in himself and his teammates.  People think Justin is playing better, and he is, but others around him are too.  Wide receivers are making plays."  A great response.  I don't think Worley is there yet, and I don't think he's a good fit for the read option because he rarely runs, so there is not really much of an "option" threat, but he has definitely gotten better.  I sure hope that progress continues. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 09:35:49 EDT »

Yeah he is not the ideal guy to run this offense - I do wish he would run more, when he has, he has been effective. He has issues mechanically, but he seems to be making better decisions.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 10:19:39 EDT »

Yeah he is not the ideal guy to run this offense - I do wish he would run more, when he has, he has been effective. He has issues mechanically, but he seems to be making better decisions.

He scambled once Saturday and delivered the blow to the DB instead of just running OB (West sideline just on the North side of the 50).  He didn't make the 1st down he sure did his best.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 10:41:18 EDT »

...by Coach Jones during his press conference.  As much as I like the effort Worley has given the past two games, I left the SC game still thinking that he has a lot of work remaining to become a good SEC QB.  When asked where Worley is right now, Coach Jones said, "Developing."  After complimenting Worley's growth in leadership skills and consistency, he said (and I am paraphrasing from notes): "Now it's setting your feet in the pocket, trusting your eyes, making good decisions.  It's functional intelligence, taking what you've learned in the classroom to the field.  Taking care of the football.  He's made great strides.  It's in him.  We see it.  Now he needs confidence in himself and his teammates.  People think Justin is playing better, and he is, but others around him are too.  Wide receivers are making plays."  A great response.  I don't think Worley is there yet, and I don't think he's a good fit for the read option because he rarely runs, so there is not really much of an "option" threat, but he has definitely gotten better.  I sure hope that progress continues. 

He is still very erratic accuracy wise.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 10:47:54 EDT »

He is still very erratic accuracy wise.

Oh, he was absolutely horrible on a few throws on Saturday, and he still waits far too long on too many plays.  Heck, I still can't figure out the intended receivers on a couple passes, and at least three easily could have been picked off (one for a pick 6 right in front of my seats).  If his footwork (drop back, plant, pocket work) and throwing mechanics would improve, the decision-making seems to be close.  When he throws on time, it usually results in much better accuracy.  Hopefully he'll get there.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 12:55:35 EDT »

Oh, he was absolutely horrible on a few throws on Saturday, and he still waits far too long on too many plays.  Heck, I still can't figure out the intended receivers on a couple passes, and at least three easily could have been picked off (one for a pick 6 right in front of my seats).  If his footwork (drop back, plant, pocket work) and throwing mechanics would improve, the decision-making seems to be close.  When he throws on time, it usually results in much better accuracy.  Hopefully he'll get there.
At least one bad throw (to the South endzone) was the receiver's fault IMO)  One of the young receivers ran the wrong route (and ended up near North) and I think Worley just through it in the ground in their general area.  Two of the passes (probably including the pass you referred to) were the receiver's fault pure and simple.  They were nowhere near aggressive enough in their pattern and, as you said, could have cost us 6.

It is clear, to me in any case, that Worley is trusting the big three to be where they are supposed to be.  Smith being out Saturday hurt us almost as much as missing Pig earlier in the season.  His injury forced personnel that are less knowledgeable of the system and their role in it into the game and that cost us at times.

The above being said I agree with your statements with regards to Worley. 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 04:06:15 EDT »

If he would keep the ball 2 or 3 times a game, he could gain a ton of yards.  There was one where he could have walked into the end zone.  No one expects him to run and I wish he would pull it back out just  a couple of times a game to keep defenses more honest.  It would open more holes for the RB.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 04:30:58 EDT »

Can't understand it.....You know week after week watching film the coaches point out....If you had kept the ball there you would have gained 8-10 yards. Yet, week after week he don't.

Puzzling..
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 08:43:53 EDT »

If he would keep the ball 2 or 3 times a game, he could gain a ton of yards.  There was one where he could have walked into the end zone.  No one expects him to run and I wish he would pull it back out just  a couple of times a game to keep defenses more honest.  It would open more holes for the RB.

The coaches may be concerned about him getting injured.  Which makes me shudder at what the frosh QBs may do in a game. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 04:00:13 EDT »

No, he's no accurate at all.  And thank goodness he was bailed out by a couple of tremendous catches in key situations, or he wouldn't have gotten a win on Saturday. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 04:26:51 EDT »

No, he's no accurate at all.  And thank goodness he was bailed out by a couple of tremendous catches in key situations, or he wouldn't have gotten a win on Saturday. 

Is at least improving from game to game.  Let's hope that at least continues.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 05:51:00 EDT »

I agree....thank goodness our recievers are getting better.  As great as the North catch was....it had to be a great catch due to it being underthrown.  If he leads him correctly then he would have had to make just a routine catch instead of a spectacular one-handed grab with the defender draped on him.  I had to turn the game off several times on Saturday due to frustration at bad throws.  JMO

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: