VTTW Board Index
May 08, 2024, 02:12:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tee coming home?  (Read 10839 times)
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2017, 07:56:43 EST »

Just read where Tee may be the next coach at Tennessee...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 07:59:00 EST »

I'm not sure he's ready to be HC, but Tee >>>> Schiano

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 08:05:33 EST »

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/return-former-glory-tee-martin-reportedly-moving-close-landing-tennessee-job/

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 08:10:09 EST »

If you are going to hire a coordinator that had a crappy history as a head coach... why not Tee who is known as one of the best recruiters in the country,  and is an OC.... and wants to come home, per a close and personal friend of his that works for my daughter.    If we going to take a chance,  let's do it with Tee

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 08:30:58 EST »

Another one
https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 08:47:29 EST »

All just idle talk from media throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks and what falls off. It does not matter that Tee wants to come back if his wife is not on board. That is what stopped Tee after his interview for OC last time. Also Tee has never been a head coach at any level. We already took a risk with an ex-USC coordinator that lasted 1 year. No thanks.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 10:47:30 EST by 73Volgrad » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 09:47:06 EST »

I go back to my idea of Cutcliffe as 3-5 year transition guy with Tee as OC/HC in waiting. 

Compared to Schiano, that's not just a home run but a grand slam.   

And think about it this way...Cut will no doubt at least get to a winning record or two, and if that's not good enough, he just fades into the sunset as planned so Tee can take us to the next level.

Don't like that?  Then get ready for Mike Stoops or Derek Mason!   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 10:43:20 EST »

All just idle talk from media throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks and what falls off. It does not matter that Tee wants to come back if his wife is not on board. That is what stopped Tee after his interview for OC last time. Also Tee has never been a head coach at any level. We already took a fisk with an ex-USC coordinator that lasted 1 year. No thanks.

Well, Granny has a personal connection close to Tee saying he still wants to come back.  Maybe things have changed in his wife's eyes?  Do you know them?  Cause I believe Granny.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 10:54:56 EST »

All just idle talk from media throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks and what falls off. It does not matter that Tee wants to come back if his wife is not on board. That is what stopped Tee after his interview for OC last time. Also Tee has never been a head coach at any level. We already took a risk with an ex-USC coordinator that lasted 1 year. No thanks.

He was interviewed to be WR coach. HC is a little more money 
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 11:09:40 EST »

I go back to my idea of Cutcliffe as 3-5 year transition guy with Tee as OC/HC in waiting. 

Compared to Schiano, that's not just a home run but a grand slam.   

And think about it this way...Cut will no doubt at least get to a winning record or two, and if that's not good enough, he just fades into the sunset as planned so Tee can take us to the next level.

Don't like that?  Then get ready for Mike Stoops or Derek Mason!   
I actually  like this scenario very much..

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 11:12:53 EST »

Well, Granny has a personal connection close to Tee saying he still wants to come back.  Maybe things have changed in his wife's eyes?  Do you know them?  Cause I believe Granny.
The AD (and wife) at my daughter's high school is very close friends with the Martin's and the wife has been the hang up for them coming back previously.  But it is appearing that is being worked out for possibly his career growth now... we shall see.   I'd love to have him in some capacity.. I've always been a Tee fan.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 11:18:25 EST »

Tee was a tremendous QB at UT, but I really question the wisdom of hiring a guy whose only other head coaching feelers at this point are coming from Georgia Southern. 

Love to see him back in Knoxville, but bringing him back as the head coach would be a real reach. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 11:30:08 EST »

Tee was a tremendous QB at UT, but I really question the wisdom of hiring a guy whose only other head coaching feelers at this point are coming from Georgia Southern. 

Love to see him back in Knoxville, but bringing him back as the head coach would be a real reach. 

I agree, a lot of risk giving him that opportunity. 

But what about him as head coach and Cut as assistant HC?  Maybe the powers that be could talk the two into a situation like that "in order to save the program".  Pronise them a boatload of money for coaching staff.  There is a huge upside with Tee in that we could reasonably expect him to hang around for quite awhile if successful.  And fans would cut him some slack at times like they did Johnny.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 11:39:05 EST »

Who do you think it will be? Dare I ask? Lord hammercy what a mess!
RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 12:24:23 EST »

Sadly, we have put ourselves in a position of really reaching.   
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 01:04:00 EST »

I don't think we are as bad a condition as a lot of people think.

We can pay well, we have great facilities, a large recruting budget, a big stadium and an avid (sometimes crazy) fan base.

No, we probably won't get the "big name" coach. But who is to say that this won't work out well if we go with someone on the way up.

I hate to use the tiglets as an example but Dooboo was an unknown assistant who was appointed interim coach, didn't do that much in his interim term to distinguish himself, but still (much to his and everyone's surprise) got the job. Look at them now.

If we get someone who is hungry and eager to work like a dog, things might turn out better than we expect.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 01:24:09 EST »

We could call Leach, Norvell, or Kiffin tonight. Ditto Charlie Strong or Petrino.

Options exist.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 02:08:14 EST »

The AD (and wife) at my daughter's high school is very close friends with the Martin's and the wife has been the hang up for them coming back previously.  But it is appearing that is being worked out for possibly his career growth now... we shall see.   I'd love to have him in some capacity.. I've always been a Tee fan.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 02:24:55 EST »

We can pay well, we have great facilities, a large recruting budget, a big stadium and an avid (sometimes crazy) fan base.

No, we probably won't get the "big name" coach. But who is to say that this won't work out well if we go with someone on the way up.

I hate to use the tiglets as an example but Dooboo was an unknown assistant who was appointed interim coach, didn't do that much in his interim term to distinguish himself, but still (much to his and everyone's surprise) got the job. Look at them now.

If we get someone who is hungry and eager to work like a dog, things might turn out better than we expect.

I needed that. I'm with you. It can flip real quick. 
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 02:29:00 EST »

I agree, a lot of risk giving him that opportunity. 

But what about him as head coach and Cut as assistant HC?  Maybe the powers that be could talk the two into a situation like that "in order to save the program".  Pronise them a boatload of money for coaching staff.  There is a huge upside with Tee in that we could reasonably expect him to hang around for quite awhile if successful.  And fans would cut him some slack at times like they did Johnny.

Just don't see Cut leaving a head coaching position at Duke for that kind of arrangement.  He's put down roots in Durham and he is making about $2 million per year without anywhere near the stress and pressure he would have at UT, and with the health issues he has had I believe that's important to him.  He's not got too many years left in coaching before he hangs it up.  Be really surprised if he doesn't stay there until he retires in 3-4 more years. 

Seeing rumors that Mike Gundy is back in the picture with UT.  He would be a very good get at this point. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 02:31:49 EST »

UT is still a good job.  Don't care what the elitist national sports media, most of whom come from the northeast or west coast and don't have a clue of life in the Southeast, say.  Facilities, financial support, and the passion of the fans are as good as it gets anywhere.  The same passion the fans showed yesterday is why they have been showing up for the last 20 years of mediocre or worse football in 6 figure numbers. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 03:12:49 EST »

Seeing rumors that Mike Gundy is back in the picture with UT.  He would be a very good get at this point. 

If that comes to fruition, I'd be tickled pink

11B4PJ3F7
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 03:34:45 EST »

I just don't want Currie making this hire, period.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 03:39:04 EST »

I just don't want Currie making this hire, period.

Problem is, that's what's going to happen.  So get out the lipstick, that pig needs a date!   

Maybe it can also wear black...I hear that's slimming.  And a bath and some deodorant wouldn't hurt either.  Just hope the date starts before the pig starts shizzleting all over the place again. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 03:42:54 EST »

We could call Leach, Norvell, or Kiffin tonight. Ditto Charlie Strong or Petrino.

Options exist.

I'm okay with Leach.  I don't trust Norvell.  He is riding on Fuentes coat tails IMO.  Better than Schiano, but perhaps not by much.  Just not enough of a record on his own IMO.

Not okay with Kiffin or Petrino...both snakes. 

Charlie Strong after the flameout at Texas would not be a popular choice.  However, I again point to Muschamp.  Former highly rated DC flames out at prominent P5 school, considered at time a top 5 job, goes to another P5 school and does better.  And let me note that does NOT mean I am comparing us to Junior, in any way form or fashion.  We are still a much better place to coach than Junior.

Strong would be a pretty depserate move.  I wonder if he would be willing to be a DC?  Muschamp did. 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: