VTTW Board Index
May 17, 2024, 09:36:12 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Summary of JPs presser  (Read 1012 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2019, 09:30:34 EDT »

Flea'd stolen from VN 

I bolded some things I liked or found interesting

Notes: (summary)

-Our players and coaches have done a fantastic job after a slow start, sticking together and buying into the culture. We showed good competitive character and played through adversity.

-We've got to find a way to win football games, that's the bottom line.

-Our offensive line played their best game, it wasn't perfect. Backs ran well. We've got to build on that. Made some plays in the passing game.

-Three times in the game they started inside our 40. Can't let that happen.

-There's lots to improve on and build off of.

-South Carolina is really good. They get turnovers. Their defense is physical, tough, and in your face. Their d-line might be the best we've played all year.

-We've played three really physical games in a row and have to get ready to play another one.

-Neyland has been electric this year and it will be again Saturday. We're excited to play in front of our crowd.

-Our medical staff is still trying to determine where Maurer is.

-On who will start if he can't go: We'll see as the week goes.

-That was the first time Tennessee ran for over 100 yards against Bama in four years. What led to that? Guys are starting to play together. We've had a lot of injuries on the line, but getting the combinations. Guys have had more reps and are more comfortable with the system. Backs are getting better with reads. I thought our line had an opportunity to take the game over on Saturday. We go on a long drive in the fourth quarter, couldn't punch it in on the one inch line, but our offensive line took the game over.

-There are 3-4 things that happened in the game that I was complaining about. I watched the tape and I was wrong. But there are 3-4 other plays I disagree with and nobody can tell me I'm wrong. We make mistakes as coaches and they make mistakes as officials. There were a few critical plays in that game, not saying it would have changed the outcome. From an accountability standpoint it's tough. The call on Taylor was absolutely not a penalty. It's not a penalty. There were a couple of times I felt like they took shots at our quarterback. But we're moving on. There's nothing we can do about last week. We had 60 minutes to do that. I thought our players played extremely hard and tried to do exactly what we wanted to. We need to execute at a higher level and do a better job as a staff.

-Were you given an explanation for the wildcat stoppage or the one play that only took one second off the clock? The officials are trying to get it right. We're all trying. It's a tough game to manage. Certain things can be overturned.We got called for a lineman down field. With the RPOs today, there are lineman 5-7 yards down field all the time. We got two holding calls in the red area. Maybe we held. But you can call holding on every play.

-Targeting on Bituli: I think it is targeting. He hit the guy with the crown of his helmet. I don't know what I could tell him to do any different when the guy is six inches off the ground. But what I don't understand is a couple of other targeting fouls weren't called.

-JJ got out there a little. He ran around and made few tackles.

-Our d-line is getting more experience. A lot of these guys weren't here or didn't play much last year. Some were redshirted. They will get better the more they play. it goes back to how hard they practice and our coaches. They've gotten better every week.

-Are guys starting to recognize what good football looks like? Alabama is really good. They cause you to make mistakes. Sometimes we make mistakes. We've got to eliminate the self inflicted mistakes an make the other team always beat us. We talk about playing clean. It's hard enough to guard them. When you're playing cover 2 and the safety doesn't get a hat, that's tough. We had a couple of those in the game and have to eliminate those.

-On Maurer: We will get the other guys ready to play. We will know in the next couple of days about Brian, but we'll get the other guys ready. I don't expect he'll practice today.

-On the goal line fumble: We talked about it yesterday (with JG). It's obvious what happened, We talked about it and we're moving on. That was one play in the game and there were lots of plays. Heck, maybe I should have onside kicked one. But that was just one play.

-Amount of trust with JG compared to preseason: We trust all of our players. You want to rep something so many times that you never get it wrong. We try to do that with all of our positions. Sometimes it comes down to decision making. Coaches have to earn players trust and players have to earn coaches trust. I've said it before I believe in JG, I think he has what it takes. He needs to be more consistent so he can play at a higher level. He knows that. Three or four times he was standing in the pocket and made some really nice throws. That game is over with and we have to move on. I said in the UGA game I said he'd help us win some games and he did against MSU. He's a guy that I believe in and I still do. I haven't wavered in that.

-It's hard to rep three quarterbacks. You have to be ready when your time is called. Solon Page: three weeks ago he probably didn't think he'd be playing against Alabama on third down in a one score game. Jerome Carvin has played good football and 3-4 weeks ago we were considering a redshirt.

/the end

My comments, was really good to see both OL and DL play so well against no. 1 team in the country.  Very encouraging, and as I highlight above led to some good running yards.

Glad he called out the refs.  Hope he gets fined.  Hell, I'll start a gofundme page to pay the fines and make a big contri 

Interesting that he is still publically supporting JG, but he has to, he's the HC.  Very classy.  SOS would not be this nice, but that's cause he's a horses arse.   

If Maurer is not cleared, will be very interesting to see who starts. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 09:52:22 EDT »

It will #2

Though I do think there will be a liberal use of the wildcat, single wing offense, with maybe a pass or 2 thrown in 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 04:10:25 EDT »

Oh god Guarantano is going to play lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: