VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 04:10:35 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anything Like a Bose Wave System?  (Read 3562 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2011, 11:51:38 EST »

I don’t want to spend money on a Bose mp3/cd/radio player, but is there anything else that’s roughly that size, decent quality (doesn’t have to be great) and cheaper?

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 05:30:40 EST »

Spend the money on the Bose......wellllllll worth it!
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 10:20:44 EST »

The Bose is unmatched in sound quality. If you are in or around Pigeon Forge anytime soon, stop in the Bose store in the outlet beside the Nascar park. You might can get a discount (?).
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 11:37:44 EST »

Much appreciated gentlemen. Are bells and whistles the primary things you gain as you go up in price, or is there a difference in quality of sounds as well?

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 12:00:48 EST »

I dont know of any " bells & whistles".. It's pure sound.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 02:08:52 EST »

I'm not a big fan of Bose myself.  I think the sound quality is just average and it's WAY overpriced.  Are you just looking for something portable to listen to radio and dock your iPod?  Try this.  For the  size and price, you won't find better sound anywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-iMT810-Digital-Boombox/dp/B004TS2AO8/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&qid=1323824739&sr=8-36

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 05:06:40 EST »

Thank BDV, I am intrigued. Sound quality will trump any features, but it will be in a relatively small area so volume isn't big.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 06:38:20 EST »

I worked for Bose for a little while - agree with BDV, way overpriced. I'd go with his suggestion

GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 07:33:18 EST »

There is some truth to what BDV is saying because systems have gotten much better. A lot of it depends on your hearing. I recently learned that I'm high frequency deaf in my left ear. I had no idea even though just a few years ago I tested normal.

The normal hearing range is 20Htz-20,000Khtz and you want an amp and speakers that can deliver that range (frequency response). Some folks have higher ranges and some have lower ranges and then there are some that have both higher and lower ranges. Also, you want a lower signal to noise ratio (db) level as you can get. I would never recommend premium equiptment for a vehicle as your music is competing with so many other sounds/noise per se. Check this site:  http://www.bcae1.com/sig2nois.htm .

Also, wattage output is way overrated! 50 watts output per channel and even less for a home is fine, very fine. You may want to crank it when the family is out and I assure you 50wpc power will blast the Talking Heads There She Was  (a song that must be blasted) quite well if the speakers are built well. And if you can find a system with a loudness switch, buy it!!! It will take low volume and clear it up to the quality of higher, clearer volume levels.

I had a friend at UT in '74 who was a sound engineer student and his brother-in-law was a Nashville studio sound engineer. Russ taught me a lot, so none of this stuff is my words. I'm repeating what I was told many years ago about choosing a good stereo system, but the frequency response and signal/noise ratios don't change. Hell, I grew up with "high fidelity" before stereo came out! Russ had a fantastic Marantz system with an ocilliscope built in the amp!!!! It also had a loudness switch as did my punk-a** Magnovox.

Hope that helps.

GreggO
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:11:39 EST by GreggO » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: