VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 11:20:54 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any yard experts here?  (Read 5064 times)
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2011, 03:59:21 EST »

Will it do me any good to sow grass seed now or will I need to wait til spring?

I just don't want to waste any time or money.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 04:32:15 EST »

I'm no expert, but yes... If you sow grass now you will get some germination and will have a good head start on a root base come springtime. 

3 years ago when I was sowing my yard (with the help of experts here like Clockwork) I believe I was sowing grass into the month of December and had great results come springtime.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 04:37:59 EST »

Ignore Vinnie....wait for Clockwork.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 04:41:01 EST »

Lol
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 06:25:39 EST »

Will it do me any good to sow grass seed now or will I need to wait til spring?

I just don't want to waste any time or money.

I'm assuming you want to do Fescue . . . if you are doing Bermuda then none of what I'm about to say applies.

If the choices are now or Spring, definitely now. Spring seeding of cool season grasses like fescue and bluegrass rarely works out as it's not mature enough to handle the summer heat.

You will get some germination now-- the soil is probably warm enough-- but you won't get much  top growth of the new grass at these temperatures (when the soil temp gets below about 40-45 degrees, top growth all but ceases and you get only root growth . . . then at 33-35 degrees that stops as well). You'll probably continue to get some germination as we go through warm and cool spells in the winter. Then in Spring you'll likely get a lot more from the seed that didn't germinate before. That spring germination will have a tough time with the heat of summer, but any grass that germinates before then will have some root growth under its belt. Do you have any intention of watering, now or in the summer?

If it's an option, waiting until next Fall-- mid September to late October is primetime-- would be your best bet. If that's not an option, your best bet is to do it now. It's not ideal, but you'll get some results, as Vinnie did. The only risk is not being ready for Summer.

If you're planning for Bermuda, 2 things: (1) wait until the heat of summer to drop seed, and (2) never speak to me again. I won't forgive you for perpetuating the Devil's Grass. 

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 06:48:59 EST »

If you're planning for Bermuda, 2 things: (1) wait until the heat of summer to drop seed, and (2) never speak to me again. I won't forgive you for perpetuating the Devil's Grass. 

If he is planting Bermuda Grass I will come over and scrape all his dirt into the street and then declare it a superfund cleanup site and get the EPA to come over and remove the dirt as a technological disaster.

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 07:06:30 EST »

Thanks for the advice. Sowing rye right now.......haven't decided on fescue or bermuda yet. May be a mixture since I have mostly sun and the summer heat is a killer on fescue. Whatever I discover is the most trouble free is what I will use.
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 07:23:59 EST »

Bermuda is the Devil's grass.    It is also called "creeping doom"  because it will creep into every flower bed, every garden, into your neighbors yard, it is truly difficult to ever, EVER get rid of.  If you have a bermuda lawn and love it, then please ignore my comments...they are intended for the...the....good people    We are supposed to have a la nina winter which means warm and mild in the SE...I would do like clock said and plant fescue at about 3:30 this afternoon.  JMO

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 07:36:00 EST »

Luckily my bermuda in my old yard didn't take... but at my current house, somebody had already laid Bermuda sod so I'm pretty much stuck with it in the front of my house. Bermuda would be fine if it didn't spread everywhere. It's really only good for golf courses.

At some point I am going to go steal some of my dad's zoysia and put in some plugs in my backyard in bare spots, then begin to overseed with fescue in the fall.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 07:51:36 EST »

I will say I was very fortunate.. I sowed my yard in Nov-Dec of '08 and we had a very rainy Spring in '09.  I did a mix of rye and fescue... I also added fertilizer and lime in the fall of '09.  But I still did quite a bit of watering that summer.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 08:38:40 EST »

Thanks for the advice. Sowing rye right now.......haven't decided on fescue or bermuda yet. May be a mixture since I have mostly sun and the summer heat is a killer on fescue. Whatever I discover is the most trouble free is what I will use.

The same things I said about fescue should apply to annual rye as well, only there's no expectation for it to last once it gets hot next year. That would provide you groundcover for the winter and Spring, anyway, and then next fall you can spend a little more for a decent fescue to put down and expect success.

Fescue and bermuda won't play well together. They have different nutritional, water, and maintenance needs, so at least one of them will eventually succumb to the other . . . it's about 99.9% that the bermuda will win, especially if you don't water.

If you're only concerned about it being green and alive in the summer, common or improved bermuda will do that. As others have said, it will also invade beds, driveways, small children, and pets if allowed to do so. It will also be brown for about 3 months during the winter, and look pretty ragged year-round because common bermuda is ugly.

Fescue is hard in Tennessee. If you don't have the time or will to baby it, it's not going to stay pretty. Most of my neighbors have given up and just let the bermuda do what it wants, which is why I had a painful renovation to do this Fall. I killed the entire front yard, which was 90% common bermuda, and planted a high quality blend of tall fescue. Below are a few photos.

Bermuda up close:

Bermuda lawn:

Day of seeding:

About 5 weeks after seeding:

I think it's easy to see why I prefer the fescue despite the work involved. 

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 12:44:19 EST »

I love my Bermuda lawn but I hate maintenance also.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Oldvol75
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 01:45:23 EST »

PLEASE fulfill my dream!!! Dig it all up and concrete the whole thing!!!!!

God “The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the external rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained.” from George Washington’s first Inaugural address.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: