VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 12:08:29 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone explain to me...  (Read 4470 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2017, 12:28:01 EST »

...why the idea of UT re-hiring Lane Kiffin is still getting traction among this fanbase?  Are these people too young to remember what all happened in his one season, plus the dumpster fire he left us when he snuck away in the middle of the night?  Did they all collectively get amnesia?  I just don't get it.

Evol Knievol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 12:40:16 EST »

I'll not watch one down the weazel coaches. 
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 12:55:38 EST »

I'm not for hiring him, but he probably maximized talent the best of any coach in the last 10 years.

Creek and I went back and forth on Twitter about this.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 02:42:53 EST »

He screwed us royally AND failed so badly at USC they fired him on the tarmac.  Yeah, I don't get it either.   
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 02:55:06 EST »

He screwed us royally AND failed so badly at USC they fired him on the tarmac.  Yeah, I don't get it either.   

"But he's grown up and learned from his mistakes since then!", they say.

Nevermind the fact that he's less than a year removed from getting run out of town by Saban a couple weeks before he was to coordinate bammer's offense in the NC game.  And getting replaced by a known, raging alcoholic to boot.  That's how bad Saban wanted him gone. 

Yeah, he's really learned.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 02:57:57 EST »

Two words.

Mo. Rons. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 04:25:52 EST »

I personally have never really understood the Kiffin hate.

The guy came here and actually did an OK job as coach for one season. Yeah, he left for his dream job - something I'd say that anyone on this board would have done it the roles were reversed. Would be have left for other jobs? Who knows.

He hardly snuck away in the middle of the night. He even came back and did a press conference, something that he didn't have to do - and something that a lot of coaches opt not to do when changing jobs.

I don't like the fact that he contacted recruits after leaving. That didn't sit well with me, but the fact is that most coaches probably do this when moving on to new schools.

His leaving was definitely a blow to the program, but we'd probably have been attacked by the NCAA had he actually stayed.

I have no animosity toward him.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 06:51:57 EST »

Kiffin had gotten a HC job and Saban didn't want the distraction with Kiffin trying to work 2 jobs. In hindsight I'd bet Saban wished he hadn't sent Kiffin down the road before the NC game.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 08:12:28 EST »

The guy came here and actually did an OK job as coach for one season. Yeah, he left for his dream job - something I'd say that anyone on this board would have done it the roles were reversed. Would be have left for other jobs? Who knows.

He hardly snuck away in the middle of the night. He even came back and did a press conference, something that he didn't have to do - and something that a lot of coaches opt not to do when changing jobs.

I don't like the fact that he contacted recruits after leaving. That didn't sit well with me, but the fact is that most coaches probably do this when moving on to new schools.

His leaving was definitely a blow to the program, but we'd probably have been attacked by the NCAA had he actually stayed.

Apparently you have no issues with the NCAA issues while he was here?

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 11:55:36 EST »

Kiffin had gotten a HC job and Saban didn't want the distraction with Kiffin trying to work 2 jobs. In hindsight I'd bet Saban wished he hadn't sent Kiffin down the road before the NC game.

He got a HC job because Saban told him he wasn't bringing him back next season, and to start looking around.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 02:33:27 EST »

Apparently you have no issues with the NCAA issues while he was here?

Well, I don't think that I actually said that. I definitely do. I think he might have ended up having us seriously sanctioned. His leaving for USC may have been the best thing that could have happened.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 06:16:56 EST »

None of which means it was a good idea to begin with, and most definitely he should never come back.

I never thought he was a great hire to begin with, and I also dont understand why a lot of people think 7 - 6 was such a huge improvement over Fulmer.

My dislike of him is more than just him leaving. It has more to do with multiple things like how he was IMO unqualified to begin with, having zero knowledge of the great traditns at UT, exagerating how bad it was (acting like we had no talent in spite of being no. 2 in recruiting in 2007), and most of all needlessly running his mouth.

Then after doing all that he left after one year. Even there, he lacked the sense or even intelligence to realize that the NCAA was about to drop the hammer at So Cal and that he was essentially a patsy. In fact, in a recent interview he stated specifically that he didnt anticipate the huge sanctions.

In short, he was an unquslified underachieving blow hard who made a poor decision to be the fall guy at So Cal.

But most important, whether it was his dream job or not he basically bailed  on everything he ran his mouth about while he was here. No program with any self respect would take back an underqualified self serving narcissist like that.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 09:39:58 EST »

None of which means it was a good idea to begin with, and most definitely he should never come back.

I never thought he was a great hire to begin with, and I also dont understand why a lot of people think 7 - 6 was such a huge improvement over Fulmer.

My dislike of him is more than just him leaving. It has more to do with multiple things like how he was IMO unqualified to begin with, having zero knowledge of the great traditns at UT, exagerating how bad it was (acting like we had no talent in spite of being no. 2 in recruiting in 2007), and most of all needlessly running his mouth.

Then after doing all that he left after one year. Even there, he lacked the sense or even intelligence to realize that the NCAA was about to drop the hammer at So Cal and that he was essentially a patsy. In fact, in a recent interview he stated specifically that he didnt anticipate the huge sanctions.

In short, he was an unquslified underachieving blow hard who made a poor decision to be the fall guy at So Cal.

But most important, whether it was his dream job or not he basically bailed  on everything he ran his mouth about while he was here. No program with any self respect would take back an underqualified self serving narcissist like that.

So how do you really feel?  😉

I'm not in favor of bringing Kiffin back. I never thought that the hire was a really good choice, but the decision was made well before Fulmer was let go (my boss at the time, a former player at UT, told me weeks before that Lane was getting the job). I was very surprised. I would have thought they could have made a much better hire.

I was never butt hurt by his departure. In fact, as I said, I was impressed that he came back for the press conference. His coaching prowess? I'm certainly no expert. I felt like we competed pretty well under him, he seems to have a good offensive mind, and he helped develop a few players.

So you dislike him because he took a job that you feel he was not qualified to have? Butch comes to mind here, but I will not go there. And you don't like that he made a poor decision to leave for a troubled USC program? OK, sounds legit  to me. 😳  
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 09:43:07 EST by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 05:58:40 EST »

i don't want Kiffiin back but.....I do wonder what Dobbs would be like under Kiffiin for 4 years? He was pretty good as far as handling young qb's.

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: