VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 07:54:43 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Milton article  (Read 726 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2023, 04:02:28 EDT »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38381331/joe-milton-tennessee-college-football-legend-arm
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 04:14:08 EDT »

Good article.  Joe seems like a great guy and and exemplary teammate.  I hope he succeeds this year.  We need him to succeed.

I hope he has better quarterback play in him than we've seen in the first two games.  Otherwise, his strong arm is just a carnival sideshow.
10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 04:23:25 EDT »

Good article.  Joe seems like a great guy and and exemplary teammate.  I hope he succeeds this year.  We need him to succeed.

I hope he has better quarterback play in him than we've seen in the first two games.  Otherwise, his strong arm is just a carnival sideshow.

I would rather he be able to throw an orange in target 20 yards then Chuck it 100
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 04:27:43 EDT »

Yep...everybody is pulling for him but there just isn't much data to go on. He looks like Tarzan and it is all well and good he can throw a orange or football against air so far...We need him to hit receivers 15 yards in stride. This test Saturday in the swamp is huge for him.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 04:47:55 EDT »

Now obviously there were a TON of drops vs. AP.  If those balls are caught, Milton's stats would've looked really good and we're probably talking about that game in a whole different light.

But so far he hasn't been the Joe Milton we saw vs. Clemson even, let alone a new and improved Joe Milton.  I for one am holding out hope that it's still there somewhere and we see it Saturday.  Cooper being out hasn't helped either, I'm sure, with protections and all.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2023, 04:56:20 EDT »

True...Hooker was a good QB and his receivers made him a very good QB. Our receivers need to help...and Joe needs to not throw it one way when the receivers are going the other way. Both need to complement each other.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2023, 05:26:12 EDT »

There were a lot of drops, but a lot of the passes were also slightly off.  Just need better timing between the QB and WRs, and of course more touch from Milton.

Roman Harper is calling him "Bazooka Joe".  So far he deserves it.  Lets see if he can wipe that smirk off of Roman's face.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2023, 03:38:03 EDT »

Heard a good perspective from Watson Brown today?

Talked about Milton?s accuracy and the WR drops.  We all know how strong Milton is, and how hard he throws.  And I?ve always heard the saying ?if it hits you in the hands,you ought to catch it.?  But when Milton?s throwing bullets, and it?s slightly off (behind the receiver, too high) him throwing it so dang hard makes it exponentially a harder ball to catch.  Makes sense.

Also said comparing Milton to Hooker is unfair.  It may be a long time before we see QB play the likes of what we saw with Hooker last year.  But can win us a lot of ballgames.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2023, 07:35:59 EDT »

Also said comparing Milton to Hooker is unfair.  It may be a long time before we see QB play the likes of what we saw with Hooker last year.  But can win us a lot of ballgames.

Run game is good, actually great so far, and defense seems much better.  Hopefully we no longer depend on the pass as much and Milton, as pointed out by Watson, doesn't have to be as good as Hooker but just "good enough".

If you look back at UT QBs drafted, the last few are Dobbs, Bray, then back to Ainge and .... I'm not sure about Casey.  To be clear, I mean drafted because of how they played at UT (Petersen doesn't count!).  That's fairly rarefied air I think.  And Milton can get drafted also if he has a good year, but yah, Hooker did spoil us a bit.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2023, 12:36:06 EDT »

Excellent points across the board. Milton seems greatly improved, but a couple of misfires can sink a possession. You can give up one or two, but not four.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2023, 04:14:33 EDT »

Got a feeling our receivers have practiced a lot on the jug machines turned way up on high to help in catching the bullets Milton throws.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 08:30:02 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2023, 07:14:34 EDT »

Got a feeling our receivers have practiced a lot on the jug machines turned away up on high to help in catching the bullets Milton throws.

lol....I hope so. And a little behind them maybe?   

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2023, 11:21:43 EDT »

Milton is just 2 of 11 this season on passes that have traveled more than 15 yards past the line of scrimmage, according to TruMedia. Of his 42 completions, 28 have come at or behind the line of scrimmage.

BUT, I have a feeling have been pure vanilla and that we will open it up this week.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2023, 12:01:41 EDT »

BUT, I have a feeling have been pure vanilla and that we will open it up this week.

I know.  But I have just heard this so much.  Classic example is bammer fans in the early to mid 90s talking about Stalling's "offense".  It never happened. Ever. But every year they would say the same dam thing.   

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2023, 01:14:51 EDT »

I know.  But I have just heard this so much.  Classic example is bammer fans in the early to mid 90s talking about Stalling's "offense".  It never happened. Ever. But every year they would say the same dam thing.   

What never happened ever? Never opened it up?
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2023, 01:19:18 EDT »

I don't think we've attempted too many long balls. Keyton dropped a beauty. The stuff with AP was over the middle 10 - 15 yards, maybe 20. Y'all remember that catch Keyton made last year against Florida? Milton ain't Hooker, but he needs somebody to help him like that. He needs to catch a break. I think he will.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 05:29:34 EDT by SmokeyJoe » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2023, 02:48:20 EDT »

What never happened ever? Never opened it up?
No, never.  But the point is, Stallings wasn't being "vanilla", he was just being Stallings. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: