VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 08:11:11 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Report  (Read 2409 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2013, 04:42:32 EDT »

Offense
OL: Pass protected well.  For the most part had difficulty opening holes.  One exception was the well blocked play that resulted in Neal's long run.  Not their best but a good day.
WR: Not a bad day.  They clearly were set on shutting down Pig.  North is getting better at getting a bit of separation. Croom had probably his best day.  Downs a forgetful day.  A few drops, the first pass by Dobbs probably surprised the receiver due to the velocity.
RB: Neal had a heavily wrapped ankle but ran and blocked well.  Lane not so much.
QB: Worley was hurt and really threw poorly.  The pick 6 was a prime example as he missed the target by 3-5 yards and no velocity.  North was open but the pass was forwards the defender -- compare with a Dobbs similar throw where North and only North had a chance to make the catch (nice catch BTW).Dobbs probably a bit limited in the offense but showed good presence at the LOS (one of the TOs for time clock was the coaches fault being very late getting the play in).  Needs to learn how to modulate velocity, not every throw needs a Mach meter to measure velocity.  Having said that, the 4th down throw Worley can't make, healthy or not as it needed velocity into a very tight target area.  IMO Dobbs deserves a shot as the starter.  I must commend Worley for his support of Dobbs between series.

Defense
DL: No pressure, moved off the line all day on running plays.  No contain.  Not their best day.
LB: Probst poor sub for Brewer.  AJ ok game, pushed out of the play too much.  Sapp pretty good game.
DB: We need Randolph in the game.  The secondary play really drops when he was out.  McNeil had not his best game.  Bad pursuit angles, out of position, etc.  Moore played much better IMO.  I hope the ankle injury isn't bad.  Both corners got beat at times but for the most part played well against the pass, not so much against the run.  Sutton is very instinctive.  We need a good nickel back.

Over all we had difficulty setting the edge and lost contain way too much

Special Teams
Kick Offs had no depth and tackling appeared to be a four letter word, to be avoided.
Returns were probably the best we've had all year in the 2nd half.  
Punting was very good
Punt returns were not observed

Coaching:  They did make the decision to make the change at QB and the offense found ways to move the ball.  The defense struggled most of the day but there were several changes tried, just didn't work.  Not our best body of work.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 07:50:15 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 05:31:04 EDT »

Just out manned. Can't scheme that. Our day will come.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 08:22:11 EDT »

Just out manned. Can't scheme that. Our day will come.

Yep and yep

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 08:23:42 EDT »

Yep and yep

Run game was pretty solid, just not enough attempts.  127 yards but averaged 4.5 yards per carry.  With more consistent passing would have had more attempts and thus more yards.

Where was Brewer?  I noticed propst playing.

Was Randolph out the whole end of the game?  Big dropoff without him.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 02:33:32 EDT »

Run game was pretty solid, just not enough attempts.  127 yards but averaged 4.5 yards per carry.  With more consistent passing would have had more attempts and thus more yards.

Where was Brewer?  I noticed propst playing.

Was Randolph out the whole end of the game?  Big dropoff without him.
run game went way due to the 28 quick points.  Really had only 2-3 good runs by the RBs, the rest were stuffed.  The average was helped by one long runby Neal and two runs by Dobbs.

I have to think the Brewer issue was a coaches decision as he played on special teams.  I noted in game where Sapp had a running discussion with Brewer on the sideline.  Brewer's body language during that discussion indicated to me he was an unhappy player.

Randolph missed about a quarter's worth of action in the first half and returned to the field before halftime.
One interesting note (to me anyway) was that when Moore came in for Randolph the first series he played Randolph's position but for subsequent series he and McNeil switched.  Also, when Randolph returned he replaced McNeil.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 03:52:28 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 03:42:33 EDT »

Odd that Brewer was out....oh well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: