VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 05:36:48 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's games like yesterday that make me  (Read 2003 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2016, 03:37:55 EDT »

...miss John Ward, AND Larry Munson.  I dare say both of their calls of the last 5:00 would have been epic.  There was nothing like listening to Munson when UGA got their hearts ripped out.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 03:39:57 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 04:54:54 EDT »

I never did like Munson, and always thought he was severely overrated. He was one of those homers who slobbered and yelled into the mic.

But Bob? My goodness. He's terrible. He's likable as a person, very personable and friendly, but he just isn't cut out to be a radio play-by-play guy. I listened to the first half on the radio yesterday (listening to a football game in one ear and coaching soccer at the same time...that's quite a combo. But, hey, our team won 7-1, so...  ) and I was reminded of the same thing I'm reminded of every time I listen to him: he is not only terrible, but he's getting worse with age. I used to try to give him the benefit of the doubt, thinking it would be hard for anyone to step into the shoes of a legend like John Ward. But it's been 18 years now...
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 05:04:22 EDT »

I never did like Munson, and always thought he was severely overrated. He was one of those homers who slobbered and yelled into the mic.

But Bob? My goodness. He's terrible. He's likable as a person, very personable and friendly, but he just isn't cut out to be a radio play-by-play guy. I listened to the first half on the radio yesterday (listening to a football game in one ear and coaching soccer at the same time...that's quite a combo. But, hey, our team won 7-1, so...  ) and I was reminded of the same thing I'm reminded of every time I listen to him: he is not only terrible, but he's getting worse with age. I used to try to give him the benefit of the doubt, thinking it would be hard for anyone to step into the shoes of a legend like John Ward. But it's been 18 years now...

I agree about Munson.  WAY overrated.  Couldn't stand the guy.  But that's what made it so fun to listen to him when UGA lost.

As for Bob, he is what he is.  And yes, after 30+ years of John Ward, they could've gotten Al Micheals and Vin Scully, and Vol fans STILL wouldn't have been satisfied.  The days of colorful hometown radio voices are coming to end.  Now it's all about an even delivery, and making sure you work in all your sponsors throughout the game ("That's another Regions Bank FIRST DOWN!" ).  But as much as many dislike him, there are many that are much worse.  Eli Gold at bammer and Mick Hubert at UF, to name two.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 09:54:49 EDT »

Eli is godawful. Although to be fair, I haven't heard him in  few years. But I can recall numerous games in the days before every single SEC game was televised and/or DVRs existed, I'd run a few errands and catch the gumper game on the car radio. I could listen literally for 10 minutes on the way to the supermarket and have no idea what the down/distance was, or where on the field the team was.    Sometimes it took a couple plays to even figure out who had the ball!  SO bad. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 07:40:51 EDT »

I just wish Munson could have been here to experience the DOBBSNAIL boot to jawja's ass!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 07:45:20 EDT by RIPLEYVOL » Logged
VOLveeta
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 12:00:12 EDT »

...miss John Ward, AND Larry Munson.  I dare say both of their calls of the last 5:00 would have been epic.  There was nothing like listening to Munson when UGA got their hearts ripped out.

TOTALLY agree.  I also miss Cawood Ledford.  I loved the Homers.  Munson was fantastic, never apologized for his homerism.  Ward was more balanced and the best who ever was.  But I loved the old school guys.  I miss them very much.

yer pal™,
VOLveeta
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: