VTTW Board Index
May 20, 2024, 03:14:19 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Report  (Read 433 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2022, 01:18:02 EDT »

Offense:
QB:  Hendo didn’t have a great stats game but ran the team well.  That shot he took impacted his throwing late in the 1st half but on the sideline and apparently in the locker room got back online
Milton warmed up twice during that stretch
His pass to Hyatt for the 46 yard TD was a thing of beauty.  1st, Hyatt was NOT open when he released the ball but he trusted Hyatt and then he flat dropped a DIME.

RB:  Most complete game by the room.  Ran hard and hit the holes.  I have to look at the tape but did Sampson whiff or go the wrong way that led to the big hit on Hooker?  They have, and are improving every game.

WR:  Ced who?  For the 2nd game in a row the receivers stepped up.  Hyatt is living up to the preseason hype.  It was a simple slant for a TD but he made a move that removed the jockstrap of the defender in front of 90K.  Bru had a good game and for the 2nd game in the row we moved Hyatt outside him on a play that left him wide open.  Bru was playing with a bit of an edge today as well.

Line:  Played well on balance. JJ had a whiff that forced a punt but I thought he played better as the game went on.  There were a couple of nice runs, including a nice, untouched TD behind him and Carvin.

Coaching:  We expanded the gameplan today including a Utah pass for a 1st down, a mini jet sweep for a 1st down and a toss sweep for a 1st down.  Just more fodder for the film study for upcoming teams.
BTW, we had an eight (8) minute drive in the 4th and got points out of it!  WOW!

Defense:
DL:  Played their best game of the season.  The young guys are improving and getting more PT.  We ran a LOT of stunts and twists today, one of which led to Josephs’ sack,  unobstructed to the QB, and he got there in a hurry.  Terry had a good day.  The flat STUFFED the run game today, flat STUFFED it.

LB: In my view their best game overall this year.  Still issues, especially in the throw game but better integrated with the DL today.  Beasley flat FILLED the home with as good a form tackle as you want to see for a 4th down stop, set up by the DL doing its job.  Herring playing well when we go to the 4-3 package.

Corners:  Played a LOT better today, very aggressive, especially Hadden.  Charles tends to play softer coverage but had some moments.  On one play in the 3rd he showed excellent closing speed to get to the receiver on the sideline for a nice PBU. Slaughter?  No more to be said.  I didn’t see Williams in at corner, which surprised me.

Safties: I see skulls and crossbones with that group.  IMO Tank had a bad game.  Yeah Flowers had that late pick but what about the other 59 minutes.

Coaching:  Banks had the defense aggressive all day and it paid off.  We clearly improved over the FL game.  We got off the field more today than our other games against top 25 teams.  Are we “there” yet?  No, but we ARE improving.

Special Teams:  Damn good day, yeah we clanked a 50 yard FG attempt off the upright but the kick could have gone easily 60 yards, strongest kick for a FG I’ve seen us attempt in a long time.
KO coverage continued to be strong
No issues with the punting game, though the one punt was so bad it was good.  The 1st punt was well placed and VERY well covered to set LSU back inside the 5.
Williams was electric on the long punt return.

In Summary:
We played our best all around, complete game today and as a reward we get the #1 team in the county.
I say, being ‘em on and Go VOLS!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 02:11:45 EDT »

I have to agree with you about the secondary... I just watched the replay and most of the time our guys were glued to their wide outs. They obviously made good use of these two weeks of practice.
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 02:40:59 EDT »

This was the most complete game I've seen from a Tennessee team in a long, long time.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 03:00:13 EDT »

This was the most complete game I've seen from a Tennessee team in a long, long time.

Agree
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: