VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 09:15:43 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Be honest  (Read 2573 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2015, 01:54:39 EST »

When we were sitting at 2-3, with UGA and bammer coming next on the schedule, Pig Howard just being thrown off the team, and, rumor had it, Butch Jones about to be fired for striking a player in practice- did you really think we'd be sitting here today about to go to a really good NYD bowl?

Butch doesn't get a pass from me for our early losses.  But there's a lot to be said for how this team finished.  As we've seen many times over the past decade under other coaches, if this team gets off to a slow start, they'll phone it in for the rest of the season.  And that week before the UGA game, that's exactly what I expected to happen.  The only remaining win I saw on the schedule at that point was North Texas.  But to his credit, Butch wasn't having it. 

I think this team is on the verge of something big, starting next year.  We may look back that UGA comeback not only as the turning point of this season, but of this entire program.

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 02:09:30 EST »

When we were getting curb-stomped by UGA, I thought this season was in the tank. I thought it was a foregone conclusion that Butch wouldn't coach at UT beyond 2016, and that there was at least a decent chance he wouldn't survive beyond 2015.

Like you, I won't forgive Butch for those losses to Oklahoma and UF -- particularly UF. That loss was as inexplicable as some of Majors' losses to Alabama. The difference is that on the rare occasion when Majors had his foot on Alabama's throat, he kept it there. And, let's face it: Tennessee still has only beaten two teams with winning records this season. But I think we beat Northwestern, and I think we could beat them by a couple of scores. This team has rallied nicely, and the coaching appeared to get better as the season progressed. We still don't know for sure if Butch Jones will ultimately be successful in the SEC. And that's a shame, because 2015 was supposed to answer that question. But the bottom line to this season is we have a lot of reason to be excited about not only New Year's Day but the 2016 season. During the first half of the UGA game, I didn't expect that.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 02:09:55 EST »

When we were sitting at 2-3, with UGA and bammer coming next on the schedule, Pig Howard just being thrown off the team, and, rumor had it, Butch Jones about to be fired for striking a player in practice- did you really think we'd be sitting here today about to go to a really good NYD bowl?

Butch doesn't get a pass from me for our early losses.  But there's a lot to be said for how this team finished.  As we've seen many times over the past decade under other coaches, if this team gets off to a slow start, they'll phone it in for the rest of the season.  And that week before the UGA game, that's exactly what I expected to happen.  The only remaining win I saw on the schedule at that point was North Texas.  But to his credit, Butch wasn't having it. 

I think this team is on the verge of something big, starting next year.  We may look back that UGA comeback not only as the turning point of this season, but of this entire program.
The team improved through the season, in some places significantly.
More often we saw strategy to win (UGA, bamer, KY, candy come to mind).  BTW, not upset with the mizzou strategy, given the conditions both with weather and the emotional aspects, as well as Dobbs' foot injury
We can run with and against anybody.

BTW, getting out front early, McElroy predicting Tennessee for a 2016 National Championship run (on the SECN Bowl Selection version of SEC Now)

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 03:44:01 EST »

When we were getting curb-stomped by UGA, I thought this season was in the tank. I thought it was a foregone conclusion that Butch wouldn't coach at UT beyond 2016, and that there was at least a decent chance he wouldn't survive beyond 2015.

Like you, I won't forgive Butch for those losses to Oklahoma and UF -- particularly UF. That loss was as inexplicable as some of Majors' losses to Alabama. The difference is that on the rare occasion when Majors had his foot on Alabama's throat, he kept it there. And, let's face it: Tennessee still has only beaten two teams with winning records this season. But I think we beat Northwestern, and I think we could beat them by a couple of scores. This team has rallied nicely, and the coaching appeared to get better as the season progressed. We still don't know for sure if Butch Jones will ultimately be successful in the SEC. And that's a shame, because 2015 was supposed to answer that question. But the bottom line to this season is we have a lot of reason to be excited about not only New Year's Day but the 2016 season. During the first half of the UGA game, I didn't expect that.

I never thought the question would be answered this year.  I've been pointing to 2016 since Butch was hired.  Typically a coach should produce in year three, but we were so beaten down, and with the particular problem of a complete rebuild of the offensive line, 2015 seemed unlikely.  It generally takes an oline about 1.5 seasons when starting from scratch, and I still don't think they are anywhere near the best in the SEC, but we should have a good solid SEC line next year with the potential to be really good.  And all the other pieces are there, save Dobbs arm and maybe the secondary.  It should be a really good year. I don't see us in the playoffs, but it definitely could happen.

I had forgotten how critical that uga win was.  And to think it turned on a very odd fumble right before halftime.   We got some luck in that one, but it was A LONG TIME COMING!   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: