VTTW Board Index
May 10, 2024, 12:17:23 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On a brighter note, our D line  (Read 2109 times)
Creek Walker
« on: September 24, 2017, 02:48:41 EDT »

The defensive line play was far from perfect, but I really felt like those guys started to play up to the potential we all thought they had when they signed, especially as the game went on. Yes, it was UMass, but seven sacks is impressive against anybody. The D-line completely took over the game in the fourth quarter. Did anybody think at any point in that final quarter that the UMass offense was a threat to move the ball? I didn't. And I think that's one reason Tennessee's play-calling was so vanilla down the stretch. That sort of strategy is playing with fire, because all it takes is one busted coverage and one big play, but that threat was minimized by the fact that UMass was without its All-American tight end and lost its QB as the game progressed.

A healthy UMass offense MAY have been enough for the Minutemen to spring an upset today. But I really think our D-line was zoned in. There weren't many people in orange who were playing with fire today, but those big guys on the line were.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 03:51:32 EDT »

The defensive line play was far from perfect, but I really felt like those guys started to play up to the potential we all thought they had when they signed, especially as the game went on. Yes, it was UMass, but seven sacks is impressive against anybody. The D-line completely took over the game in the fourth quarter. Did anybody think at any point in that final quarter that the UMass offense was a threat to move the ball? I didn't. And I think that's one reason Tennessee's play-calling was so vanilla down the stretch. That sort of strategy is playing with fire, because all it takes is one busted coverage and one big play, but that threat was minimized by the fact that UMass was without its All-American tight end and lost its QB as the game progressed.

A healthy UMass offense MAY have been enough for the Minutemen to spring an upset today. But I really think our D-line was zoned in. There weren't many people in orange who were playing with fire today, but those big guys on the line were.

I wasn't nearly as excited.  coming into the game, UMass led the nation with 26 sacks allowed.  second place is 15.  Yes, you read that right, they are allowing almost twice as many as no. 2. 

Having said that, we did at least match their average of 6/game   

So it's a positive, but I wouldnt read too much into it.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 03:53:43 EDT »

I wasn't nearly as excited.  coming into the game, UMass led the nation with 26 sacks allowed.  second place is 15.  Yes, you read that right, they are allowing almost twice as many as no. 2. 

Having said that, we did at least match their average of 6/game   

So it's a positive, but I wouldnt read too much into it.

Three weeks ago I wouldn't have bet a plug nickel that our D-line could sack ANYBODY.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 04:02:11 EDT »

Three weeks ago I wouldn't have bet a plug nickel that our D-line could sack ANYBODY.

I think GaTech was misleading.  Phillips and Taylor have both emerged nicely, so I am not that surprised.  I do think today was a good performance, but again, we did about what was expected.  Agree that without Barnett there has been a falloff and that we seem headed int he right direction.

Quarte sapp was the leading tackler today.  That is a very good sign.  He and Bituli are pretty good, just need a third.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 02:22:07 EDT »

If the Tight end and QB were healthy I'm very afraid the Vols would have had their 2nd loss of the season.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: