VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 08:47:47 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I see that a lot of MLB pitchers are having Tommy John surgery. Some big  (Read 2401 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2014, 05:57:54 EDT »

names have this issue. It just seems that in the old days pitchers pitched way more innings than today's pitchers. Why do this era of pitchers seem more delicate than the old breed? I remember guys pitching about three complete games a week or so it seemed. Of course there weren't too many specialized relievers either. Medlin injury tough on Braves.

volsboyinsodak
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 10:02:04 EDT »

The explanation I heard was that it can be blamed on the travel squads and youth baseball that is almost a year-round job now.  So pitchers throw more, harder, and overwork their arms froma young age.  By the time you get to be 25 now, you have the arm of 40 year old cause you have overworked it.  That is the story a pitcher having Tommy John's said.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 10:12:42 EDT »

The Braves lost Beachy to the same injury, I believe the very next day after Medlen went down.  And Minor will pitch this year, but he's going to open the season on the DL.  Before Spring Training began, I thought the Braves were a cinch to repeat as division champs.  Now I doubt they make the playoffs at all.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 11:33:16 EDT »

The explanation I heard was that it can be blamed on the travel squads and youth baseball that is almost a year-round job now.  So pitchers throw more, harder, and overwork their arms froma young age.  By the time you get to be 25 now, you have the arm of 40 year old cause you have overworked it.  That is the story a pitcher having Tommy John's said.

I suspect that is exactly the reason. A lot of those kids throw multiple games in a weekend too, plus play the field making long throws. That is on the coaches and parents though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: