VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 03:34:14 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much has our running game improved? Consider this...  (Read 12168 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 12:43:18 EDT »

Your last sentence could just as easily say "Too many people disagree with me and don't want to talk about what I want to talk about, even though they may have some valid points."

Can't speak for 'nut, but I have rarely seen him back off a point.  IMO he is just saying he doesn't want to stir up shizzle.

I sure hope the Vols beat MSU, because if not, I'm going to be unbearable on here to some of you who sit there and act like improvement is losing a game you should've won because you allowed three long runs where the player was never touched, missed a FG and a XP, turned the ball over three times in critical situations, dropped an open TD pass, had 9 guys on the field on a critical 2 point try, and gave up 51 mf'ing points. If we play to the bitter end but lose to MSU, will that be OK?

Really?    51-44 is one thing, getting stomped 42-7, a game I sat through, at Arkansas, a team roughly equivalent or maybe even worse than uga this year,  is another entirely.  Straight up, do you think this year's team is better than last years?

Nothing wrong with keeping up the pressure or having high expectations.  I think one difference from my side of the fence is that I am not looking back to 07, 04, 01, 98, 97 or even 94 or the Majors years, I am looking only at last year compared to this one.  Just saying "_____ so we should be better"  (some candidates..."we are a top program", "it has been three years", "Saban did it in two years", "its a different era", "we pay a lot for coaches", or take your pick) doesn't erase the miserable injury-plagued 5-7 losing to Kentucky season we had last year.  There have to be some intermediate steps.

I hate what the Vol fan base has become.

You can play this either way.  What did it become in 2007, when we actually went to the SECCG and no one was happy, and we ended up running off a successful coach and driving our program completely into the ditch?  How does that compare to the 95 uga game I re-watched recently when the stadium was electric and the crowd was crazy on every play for only the second game of the season?   Did maybe our fanbase get spoiled along the way?  So let's get really impatient again, run off the rebuilding guy, and then maybe we can all be happy going 5-7 or worse and competing with Vandy and UK to stay out of the East cellar every year, because that's where we were last year.

I actually like the attitude that you and some have, that we should not settle for this. Well no one is.  But if you're eating your way out of a turd sandwich and the bread crust has shizzle stains on it and is dry, don't complain.  At least it's mostly bread!  Just be patient a little while longer, nibble a little more shizzlety dry crust, and hopefully on the other side is a juicy burger and all the beer you can drink, or...it could be an even bigger turd sandwich.  

We'll find out soon enough.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 12:51:14 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 03:23:11 EDT »

Your last sentence could just as easily say "Too many people disagree with me and don't want to talk about what I want to talk about, even though they may have some valid points."

I sure hope the Vols beat MSU, because if not, I'm going to be unbearable on here to some of you who sit there and act like improvement is losing a game you should've won because you allowed three long runs where the player was never touched, missed a FG and a XP, turned the ball over three times in critical situations, dropped an open TD pass, had 9 guys on the field on a critical 2 point try, and gave up 51 mf'ing points. If we play to the bitter end but lose to MSU, will that be OK?

Improvement = finding a way to win those games. Moral victories are for losers and suckers. Dooley has tricked all of you into thinking it's OK to play close.

Agree with most of this 100%.  We have enough talent to win against Florida and Georgia period dot!  Just never settle for MEDIOCRE...............which I feel alot of Tennessee fans are doing, because they think it may set us back a year or two.

BACK ON TOPIC......................We have some Damn good OL players to push Georgia's front 7 around like we did.  But remember 50 of our rush yds came from a end around pass that wasn't open.  We just quit running, then quit against Florida....................they just need to keep it up,  ESPECIALLY the next 4 games  They need to continue the progress they have made so far....................................THE PLAYCALLING CAN HELP THEM OUT AS WELL.  that is the most frustrating part for me.

Go Big Orange.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 03:52:21 EDT »

Improvement = finding a way to win those games. Moral victories are for losers and suckers. Dooley has tricked all of you into thinking it's OK to play close.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 03:55:03 EDT »

I haven't backed off my call for an 8-4 regular season at a minimum, but I do appreciate improvement even if things aren't where I want them. If 8-4  becomes impossible then I'll favor lopping off 'eads.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 02:59:50 EDT by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 02:13:07 EDT »

Your interpretation of my last statement is wrong. I don't care how many people disagree with me or agree with me. I'm a fairly outspoken atheist/agnostic. Most people I know in life disagree with me. I don't make decisions based on % of people who agree with me. The last statement is more about not wanting to discuss the same thing over and over again. We all know where people here stand with Dooley, that wasn't the point of the thread. It was to discuss the improvement in the run game and OL...if you want to discuss the crap defense, there are many threads on it. And FWIW, people don't disagree on the defense, I'd say it's unanimous that it has sucked.

You won't be unbearable to me....because I don't give that much credence to what anyone on a message board says, and I don't expect others to do that to what I say.  It's a place for discussion for me, not something I get emotional about. If you can't see that this team is improving in areas and discuss that aspect of it independently then what's the board for?

The Vol fan base hasn't become anything. Some are for letting this season play out before drawing conclusions. Some have already drawn their conclusions. It's really not muc more complicated than that.

Improvement is defined as finding a way to lose close games? That's an absurd statement. Why are you equating discussion of the improvement of the OL and running game to the entire team's overall improvement/moral victories? It's not a moral victory, and I didn't say it was. It's football discussion.  
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 02:42:38 EDT by Volznut » Logged
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2012, 02:31:24 EDT »

Agree with most of this 100%.  We have enough talent to win against Florida and Georgia period dot!  Just never settle for MEDIOCRE...............which I feel alot of Tennessee fans are doing, because they think it may set us back a year or two.

BACK ON TOPIC......................We have some Damn good OL players to push Georgia's front 7 around like we did.  But remember 50 of our rush yds came from a end around pass that wasn't open.  We just quit running, then quit against Florida....................they just need to keep it up,  ESPECIALLY the next 4 games  They need to continue the progress they have made so far....................................THE PLAYCALLING CAN HELP THEM OUT AS WELL.  that is the most frustrating part for me.

I am NOT settling for mediocre - just saying we should LET THE DAMN SEASON PLAY OUT. We can still have a really good season, or a really bad one. I'm going to make my decision on this staff after I see the whole body of work in three seasons, instead of giving up on the season.

ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2012, 03:10:41 EDT »

I am NOT settling for mediocre - just saying we should LET THE DAMN SEASON PLAY OUT. We can still have a really good season, or a really bad one. I'm going to make my decision on this staff after I see the whole body of work in three seasons, instead of giving up on the season.

I did not point you or anyone else out.  I just feel like that is the general attitude from alot of Tennessee fans that I talk too about this season.  I just made a quick comment about that before getting back on topic.

Go Big Orange.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2012, 03:14:17 EDT »

Rushing stats for THE ENTIRE 2011 SEASON:

392 carries, 1081 yards, 2.8 YPC, 11 TDs

Rushing stats through the first FIVE games of 2012:

195 carries, 887 yards, 4.5 ypc, 10 TDs

So we're on pace to have 468 carries, 2129 yards, and 24 rushing TDs this year.

That would be great if we finish with that.  I want to see that type of HARD NOSED RUNNING AND ATTEMPTS AGAINST especially our SEC opponets, then i will feel good about our run game.  We could've racked up some yards on Florida had we continued to RUN RUN RUN.  We need to develope a NASTY ATTITUDE FROM OUR OL/DL ON THE FIELD, SO THAT WE ARE GONNA GET THAT KICK THEIR ASS ATTITUDE BACK.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 03:36:06 EDT by ChattanoogaVol » Logged

Go Big Orange.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 03:33:12 EDT »

That would be great if we finish with that.  I want to see that type of HARD NOSED RUNNING AND ATTEMPTS AGAINST especially our SEC opponets, then i will feel good about our run game.  We could've racked up some yards on Florida had we continued to RUN RUN RUN.  We need to develope a NASTY ATTITUDE FROM OUR OL/DL ON THE FIELD AND GET THAT WE ARE GONNA KICK THEIR ASS ATTITUDE BACK.

I agree we abandoned the run vs FL too soon. Of course Georgia was an SEC opponent, and we ran well vs them. I think the run game is looking pretty good. Need to keep doing it, because it opens up the play action game.

ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 03:39:11 EDT »

I agree we pushed Georgia around pretty good up front.............................   Does Chaney have any play action plays??...................LOL
That section of the play book is pretty dusty.

Go Big Orange.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2012, 03:45:42 EDT »

I agree we pushed Georgia around pretty good up front.............................   Does Chaney have any play action plays??...................LOL
That section of the play book is pretty dusty.

Sure he does. We run it from time to time. Rivera's TD vs FL was play action. I think Bray could sell the fake to the RB better than he does.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: