VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 01:48:24 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Those of you that have access to VQ I would suggest you read Hubbs'  (Read 12056 times)
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 09:31:18 EST »

Whoever UT thinks about hiring, it should ask itself this one simple question:  "Can this coach lead UT to the National Championship?"  Because let's face it, this is the expectation at UT.  Not to lead UT to be just competitive with its SEC rivals, and not to simply make UT periodically relevant in national media discussions. 

UT doesn't need any more "interim" head coaches, or caretakers or stepping-stone coaches.  It needs to hit the home run with this hire.   As much as I admire what Franklin has done at Vandy, I honestly don't think he would be the MNC-caliber coach that UT should be looking for.   

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 09:35:54 EST »

Whoever UT thinks about hiring, it should ask itself this one simple question:  "Can this coach lead UT to the National Championship?"  Because let's face it, this is the expectation at UT.  Not to lead UT to be just competitive with its SEC rivals, and not to simply make UT periodically relevant in national media discussions. 

UT doesn't need any more "interim" head coaches, or caretakers or stepping-stone coaches.  It needs to hit the home run with this hire.   As much as I admire what Franklin has done at Vandy, I honestly don't think he would be the MNC-caliber coach that UT should be looking for.   

I don't know that he can't be. To be a NC or SEC championship caliber team takes talent. A LOT of it. It takes recruiting, and everything else associated with being a great HC. If he had Saban's talent could he win it? I'd say he could.

Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 10:18:02 EST »

Our next HC has to be able to recruit and have the passion for recruiting. If any candidate can't pass this hurdle, they maybe should not be considered. In Athens or Gainesville, they can trip over 20-30 SEC caliber athletes within a 100 mile radius of their school. Not that way in Knoxville. HC Fulmer had that in his earlier years and there were very few better than him.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 10:20:18 EST »

Well said Jedi

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 10:27:22 EST »

I'm intrigued by Franklin. Not sold on him, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if Tennessee hired him. My hope would be that he would settle down. Winning isn't necessarily everything. I thought Kiffin did a pretty good job at UT, but I was tired of his B.S. even before it became apparent that he was a cheater. Take away the rules violations and Franklin is Kiffin all over again.

When I look at Franklin, I see a coach who, as Volznut said, took Vandy from its position as a perennial doormat to a middle-of-the-pack SEC team. And he did it in a couple of seasons. The dude can obviously coach.

I disagree that he is all that as a coach and agree with Lyn.  He is a one hit wonder.  Do you honestly think that he can keep Vandy a middle of the pack SEC team?  Do you honestly think with how bad Auburn, UT, and Missouri were that he can keep that going?  When those 3 teams are just average, not good, Vandy would be 2 - 6 in the SEC and 5 to 6 win team.  He benefitted from his schedule being watered down.  Against quality competition, he still got his doors blown off.
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 10:29:40 EST »

I also agree with Lyn that he is an ass.  He literally got into fights with several assistant coaches on other teams last year.
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2012, 10:30:50 EST »

I also agree with Lyn that he is an ass.  He literally got into fights with several assistant coaches on other teams last year.

The standard reply is "Lyn was right" 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2012, 10:33:11 EST »

I disagree that he is all that as a coach and agree with Lyn.  He is a one hit wonder.  Do you honestly think that he can keep Vandy a middle of the pack SEC team?  Do you honestly think with how bad Auburn, UT, and Missouri were that he can keep that going?  When those 3 teams are just average, not good, Vandy would be 2 - 6 in the SEC and 5 to 6 win team.  He benefitted from his schedule being watered down.  Against quality competition, he still got his doors blown off.

I see words like "think" and "would be". Synonymous with speculation. The facts are that Franklin HAS improved the Vandy team in his second year to where they could get 9 wins. Something UT fans have not experienced since 2007. And he is out recruiting us right now. So do I think he can keep vandy middle of the pack? Yeah, based on what he has done, I don't just think it, I can it's a very good probablity he can.... but he won't because he likely gets a better offer soon and takes it, and makes someone even better than that. Like it or not, he is a rising star in college coaching.

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2012, 10:38:09 EST »

I see words like "think" and "would be". Synonymous with speculation. The facts are that Franklin HAS improved the Vandy team in his second year to where they could get 9 wins. Something UT fans have not experienced since 2007. And he is out recruiting us right now. So do I think he can keep vandy middle of the pack? Yeah, based on what he has done, I don't just think it, I can it's a very good probablity he can.... but he won't because he likely gets a better offer soon and takes it, and makes someone even better than that. Like it or not, he is a rising star in college coaching.

Hopefully He'll leave Vanderbilt soon and Vandy will drop back down to Their rightful place in the SEC

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2012, 10:51:06 EST »

OK how about these facts....Vandy didn't beat a single team with a winning record.  Their best win was to a 6 - 6 Ole Miss team.  Vandy's 5 SEC wins came from 3 coaches that just got fired, and another that is rumored to be on his way out.  Again, let him prove it against the normal strength of the SEC.  Beat a team with a winning record and then I will agree he can coach.
Creek Walker
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2012, 11:02:50 EST »

OK how about these facts....Vandy didn't beat a single team with a winning record.  Their best win was to a 6 - 6 Ole Miss team.  Vandy's 5 SEC wins came from 3 coaches that just got fired, and another that is rumored to be on his way out.  Again, let him prove it against the normal strength of the SEC.  Beat a team with a winning record and then I will agree he can coach.

It isn't the quality of the teams he beat so much as what he did with the talent he had. Vanderbilt is poised to win 9 games with a roster that isn't as good as the roster at Tennessee, or the roster at Ole Miss, or the roster at Auburn...or even Missouri.

He's also shown indications that he knows how to recruit. Vandy could very well finish with a top 15 class this year. Let's pause to wrap our minds around that -- Vanderbilt recruiting. Top 15 class.

If the guy can win 9 games with a typical Vanderbilt roster -- against a good SEC or a weak SEC; doesn't matter -- what can he do with a beefed up Vanderbilt roster?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2012, 11:26:17 EST »

Franklin's biggest liability is that he is at Vandy.  If not for that, I would consider him a legit candidate, but still down the list from others.  OTOH, he is taking in-state players away from UT, and we could end that quick by hiring him.  Granted, that is a relatively minor consideration.

As to him being a jackass...he is, but there is no bigger jackass than Saban.  To my knowledge Franklin does not kick under-performing players to the curb or use injuries as an excuse to get rid of players to free up scholarships, nor has he thumbed his nose at the SEC schollie limits, practiced at a high school loaded with recruits, made excuses for a fishing trip, caused the NCAA to pass a rule on texting, repeatedly violated the "bump" rule, talked down to reporters, yelled at reporters, fired someone for commenting on his haircut, etc, etc, etc.

So at least there would be a bigger jackass somewhere in the NCAA.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: