VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 08:11:07 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My all-time favorite single play from Tennessee against Alabama  (Read 1129 times)
10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2022, 05:47:41 EDT »

How to choose???

Beat bootleg ever.   https://youtu.be/EVSNFfgg_4w

Give him 2!! (16:10) https://youtu.be/Y2rCmbPzfY8

Play #1.  https://youtu.be/9cvMxJ-qtjg

Dale Jones!!  (:20) https://youtu.be/KQPgI08DDJg

The second one was such a fond memory for me.

- added Dale Jones

« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 06:04:29 EDT by 10EC » Logged
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 05:56:37 EDT »

The following isn't my favorite, but it's up there. Shuler"s TD pass to Craig Faulkner fairly early in '93 was a sign we could hang. Yes the game ended in a horrid tie, but that play was the one that signalled things were different.

My favorite is the pick by Dale Jones in '85.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 05:59:04 EDT »

How to choose???

Beat bootleg ever.   https://youtu.be/EVSNFfgg_4w

Give him 2!! (16:10) https://youtu.be/Y2rCmbPzfY8

Play #1.  https://youtu.be/9cvMxJ-qtjg

The second one was such a fond memory for me.

"On play #1!" is my favorite 

Every time I see the vide the wife gets angry because I am shouting "Play #1!" (while holding up a shingle figure, jabbing at the sky) as Kent crosses the goal line

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 05:59:35 EDT »

My favorite is the pick by Dale Jones in '85.
A top 5 for sure!

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 06:04:47 EDT »

A top 5 for sure!

Added it!!
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 06:20:05 EDT »

I wasn't old enough to remember the '82 win, or the '85 win. So neither of them make my list. My favorite UT/Bama plays are:

1.) Play #1 ('95)
2.) Why not run it every time? ('96)
3.) Leonard Little meets Freddie Kitchens ('96)
4.) Peerless Price housing the 2nd half kickoff ('97)
5.) Manning bootleg ('95)

Some other memories that stand out is the '93 game that ended in a tie. The '94 game where Peyton threw the pick in the end zone (and, as it turned out, Branndon Stewart's mother stood and clapped). The battle of field goals in '90. Looking back, it's incredible not only that Majors struggled with Alabama as much as he did, but also that Fulmer immediately started to turn the tide. We didn't beat them in '92, '93 or '94, but we were very close to beating them all 3 years and, realistically, probably shouldn't have had a chance against them any of those years (especially '94). But despite his success against Alabama, Fulmer had his own monkey-on-the-back in Florida. It's odd how those things play out. Similarly, Bear Bryant's monkey was General Neyland. Then when Neyland left the game, Bryant went from being intimidated by Tennessee to owning Tennessee.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2022, 06:39:15 EDT »

My Top 5 (or so)

1.) Manning to Kent "Play #"1 ('95)
2.) Leonard Little meets Freddie Kitchens ('96)
3.) Manning "Naked Handoff Reverse" bootleg ('95)
4.) Dale Jones "What a sterling interception" ('85)
5.) Little "Blasted Burgdorf" ('95)

Honorable mentions:
4th and Fayton ('03) what a an afternoon/evening though 5 OTs was a bit tedious (Emeril and I had a front row seat for the later OT highlights)
Mike Terry's pick in the end zone to seal the win in '82 and stop an 11 game losing streak (that game had a lot of TOs by both teams)
"Why not run it every time?" ('96)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 12:20:03 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2022, 06:48:36 EDT »

Play no. 1 hands down. I was in the stands, had moved to bammer in 1990 (the 9-6 debacle  ) and suffered through all the close calls of the early 90s including the unsatisfying tie in 1993 and the near miss by true frosh Manning at the end of the 1994 game. 

It was refreshing to see us just kick their arses for a change.  Maybe that can happen again. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2022, 07:02:29 EDT »

It's not my favorite but I love the 75 yarder by Jay Graham. The camera man got a picture of the DB from the Endzone... it was classic.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2022, 11:30:47 EDT »

Love the orange pants they wore at away games during the Dale Jones years.

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2022, 02:50:01 EDT »

I wasn't old enough to remember the '82 win, or the '85 win. So neither of them make my list. My favorite UT/Bama plays are:

1.) Play #1 ('95)
2.) Why not run it every time? ('96)
3.) Leonard Little meets Freddie Kitchens ('96)
4.) Peerless Price housing the 2nd half kickoff ('97)
5.) Manning bootleg ('95)

Same.   
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2022, 05:29:30 EDT »

The 96 run by Graham is one of mine.  I watched the game with a diehard bama fan (yeah, yeah, I know--but he was also related, so no choice.)  When Jay took it to the house I said "Damn, I must have accidently put in the tape of last years game."  He failed to appreciate the humor

It's not my favorite but I love the 75 yarder by Jay Graham. The camera man got a picture of the DB from the Endzone... it was classic.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2022, 08:10:52 EDT »

My personal favorite is the "Why not run it everytime" play if that was the Jay Graham 75 yard run. Only because I was there in the new addition to the stadium. Graham ran right to us! Bama was giving us all we wanted. That play basically won the game.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2022, 09:03:35 EDT »

My personal favorite is the "Why not run it everytime" play if that was the Jay Graham 75 yard run. Only because I was there in the new addition to the stadium. Graham ran right to us! Bama was giving us all we wanted. That play basically won the game.

I was on the other end of the stadium.  Saw his backside running away from me.  Cracked open a tight game, it did.

Then the Kitchens int at the end of the game, or maybe incomplete.  I had been at the 1995 game, but when this one was over Neyland just exploded.  All those years of frustration. I've never quite heard anything like it, not even at Florida 1998.  

Then we all did the rammerjammer song.  Very satisfying!  (side note...is there a more obnoxious cheer in all of sports?  No. But that's bammers for you  )
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 10:41:43 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2022, 09:27:09 EDT »

Easy for me - Coleman's long 4th qtr TD run in '82 that pretty much sealed the game and ended "The Streak".  I had grown up as a vol fan living in "The Streak", it was no fun.  I was a high schooler in '82 and I was in the stands.  I'll never forget that Coleman run.  It was great running down onto the field after the game.  I was there when they, or we, tore down the goalpost and helped carry it a part of the way out of the stadium.  I think a part of it ended up in my brother's frat that night.

I also remember going to a cold as F Liberty Bowl that year and seeing Bear coach his last game.  We beat the Bear in his first and last UT-Bama game.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2022, 10:26:51 EDT »

Easy for me - Coleman's long 4th qtr TD run in '82 that pretty much sealed the game and ended "The Streak".  I had grown up as a vol fan living in "The Streak", it was no fun.  I was a high schooler in '82 and I was in the stands.  I'll never forget that Coleman run.  It was great running down onto the field after the game.  I was there when they, or we, tore down the goalpost and helped carry it a part of the way out of the stadium.  I think a part of it ended up in my brother's frat that night.

I also remember going to a cold as F Liberty Bowl that year and seeing Bear coach his last game.  We beat the Bear in his first and last UT-Bama game.

The series was dead even to 1970, after which he started that &%&%%  11-year streak. I was new to Knoxville in 1982 as a HS sophomore and predicted the win in HS to much derision. I got some street cred from that though.  I was literally the only person in...I think it was driver's ed class predicting a Vol win. 

I did my part with goal posts after the 1998 Florida game. Helped a bunch of frat guys and others carry it to a frat house where they sawed it up into chunks and sold it off. I have a chunk of it to this day.  Best $100 I ever spent.   

There is, I am sure, absolutely no way to authenticate it, but WTF, I have it and I know its legit. 

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2022, 10:34:17 EDT »

The series was dead even to 1970, after which he started that &%&%%  11-year streak. I was new to Knoxville in 1982 as a HS sophomore and predicted the win in HS to much derision. I got some street cred from that though.  I was literally the only person in...I think it was driver's ed class predicting a Vol win. 

I did my part with goal posts after the 1998 Florida game. Helped a bunch of frat guys and others carry it to a frat house where they sawed it up into chunks and sold it off. I have a chunk of it to this day.  Best $100 I ever spent.   

There is, I am sure, absolutely no way to authenticate it, but WTF, I have it and I know its legit. 

do you happen to want to part with it? 

11B4PJ3F7
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2022, 10:39:09 EDT »

do you happen to want to part with it? 

No. It's a treasured relic.

I could consider cutting it in half though I suppose.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2022, 11:23:26 EDT »

I remember watching that '98 game on TV when I was in LA.  I also remember the gator fans whining about how UT fans had trashed an expensive CBS TeeVee camry that was mounted on the crossbar - GMAFB.  IIRC, most of the goalpost ended up in the river.  At that Alabama game in '82, I remember being with my brother and his frat bros and we bent the upright off of the goalpost by moving it back and forth and that is what they carried up to the house.  I guess that is what y'all did in '98.  Having a piece of that is very dang cool. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2022, 02:46:02 EDT »

I remember watching that '98 game on TV when I was in LA.  I also remember the gator fans whining about how UT fans had trashed an expensive CBS TeeVee camry that was mounted on the crossbar - GMAFB.  IIRC, most of the goalpost ended up in the river.  At that Alabama game in '82, I remember being with my brother and his frat bros and we bent the upright off of the goalpost by moving it back and forth and that is what they carried up to the house.  I guess that is what y'all did in '98.  Having a piece of that is very dang cool. 

That was the south goalpost, on the river side. IIRC, the camera was worth a cool 10K.  Technology being what it is, I would bet a camera of that sort is a lot cheaper now.

The goalpost we got was the north one, on the campus side. I was sitting in the alumni section, what Pirate calls the "blue blood" section, around the forty yardline not too far under the press box.  Went down straight to the field afterwards (leaving the box that my binoculars came in in the stands), high-fived Ron Green and Shawn Bryson at midfield, saw the students hanging all over the north goal posts, went in that direction and helped them finish it off.  Then we carried it out of the stadium and paraded down the strip for a bit, ending up in a house about a block from the strip where it was cut into pieces.  It was quite a night!  IIRC the house was about a block south of The Library, but I could be off as to the specific bar.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: