VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 01:12:59 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, we won.  (Read 2680 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2018, 05:01:50 EST »

Still playing like hot garbage, though.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 05:08:05 EST »

Glad we decided to play some defense.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 05:18:02 EST »

Both MS schools on the road before closing at home vs. UGA.  If we're on our game, we'll win all three.  IF.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 05:43:11 EST »

Glad we decided to play some defense.

I thought our D inhaled profusely most of the game, as my old band director used to say.

We gave up some easy buckets.

And BDV...I don't totally agree.  Effort could have been better, but UF is the third best team in the SEC and not an easy out at all.  I'm just glad we won.

By far this was the toughest game left on the schedule.

I agree that we should spank Ole Miss, even in a road game, and hold serve with Uga at home in last game.  I don't think MSU on the raod is an easy win.  They are playing pretty well right now.

And let me add that Ole Miss coach went ahead and quit and they are suddenly playing well for the interim coach, having just upset Mizzou.  So it might be just our luck to catch a team suddenly playing much better.   

But yeah, if we don't at least go 2-1 down the stretch, it's a huge disappointment.

But let's also be a little real.  We were picked to be 13th in the league, and just beat the no. 3 team by 5 points.  Sorry, but that's pretty good.  Period, dot. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 08:09:34 EST »

Wasn't really impressed with how we played last night, personally.  

Thought that the D was less than stellar (lots of slips for wide open layups, for instance).  The offense is not clicking right now either.  Thank goodness for Grant and Admiral.

We played a less than impressive game, but UF played worse.

I'm hopeful that this is the turnaround game that we needed, though, and that we start to see the team that took the floor three weeks ago from here out.  
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 04:19:16 EST by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 11:33:53 EST »

Definitely not our best game, but we still beat a really good UF squad.  That we can do so at less than 100% effort is encouraging.  Of course, it could be discouraging if the lack of performance continues.  But I'm going glass half full and assuming we improve.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 02:18:43 EST »

Definitely not our best game, but we still beat a really good UF squad.  That we can do so at less than 100% effort is encouraging.  Of course, it could be discouraging if the lack of performance continues.  But I'm going glass half full and assuming we improve.   

UF certainly has top-3 in the SEC talent, but they've been in a death spiral lately.  And it's not like they played that well last night, either.  I was hoping we'd handle them by double digits. 

BTW, it's interesting that arguably the three most talented teams in the league (UK, UF, aTm) have all massively underachieved this year.  I have a theory, but I'll keep it to myself for now.

But anyway, you can't deny that we haven't looked right for the past 2-3 weeks, especially offensively.  The ball movement just isn't there like it was earlier, and guys are taking more bad shots.  And I hate to be a whiner, but I can't even remember the last time we shot more FTs than our opponent.  Home, away, it doesn't matter.  It's always the same old story.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 04:25:19 EST »

UF certainly has top-3 in the SEC talent, but they've been in a death spiral lately.  And it's not like they played that well last night, either.  I was hoping we'd handle them by double digits.  

BTW, it's interesting that arguably the three most talented teams in the league (UK, UF, aTm) have all massively underachieved this year.  I have a theory, but I'll keep it to myself for now.

But anyway, you can't deny that we haven't looked right for the past 2-3 weeks, especially offensively.  The ball movement just isn't there like it was earlier, and guys are taking more bad shots.  And I hate to be a whiner, but I can't even remember the last time we shot more FTs than our opponent.  Home, away, it doesn't matter.  It's always the same old story.

I completely agree. The way UF played last night, we should have easily won by a much larger margin.

Once in the first half we got 4 straight defensive stops  and got zero points for the effort. On another occasion we had three straight stops, again resulting in zero points for us.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 07:56:29 EST »

UF certainly has top-3 in the SEC talent, but they've been in a death spiral lately.  And it's not like they played that well last night, either.  I was hoping we'd handle them by double digits. 

BTW, it's interesting that arguably the three most talented teams in the league (UK, UF, aTm) have all massively underachieved this year.  I have a theory, but I'll keep it to myself for now.

But anyway, you can't deny that we haven't looked right for the past 2-3 weeks, especially offensively.  The ball movement just isn't there like it was earlier, and guys are taking more bad shots.  And I hate to be a whiner, but I can't even remember the last time we shot more FTs than our opponent.  Home, away, it doesn't matter.  It's always the same old story.

I keep coming back to, what were your expectations preseason?  If you say second in the league, no one is going to believe you.

So yes, you are whining, absolutely.   

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 09:57:17 EST »

I keep coming back to, what were your expectations preseason?  If you say second in the league, no one is going to believe you.

So yes, you are whining, absolutely.   

Preseason expectations are one thing.  Wanting to see them them play the way they did a couple weeks ago is quite another.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: