VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 11:48:52 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One play today indicates the level at which the defense is playing  (Read 1987 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2014, 03:33:27 EDT »

They ran a double reverse against us (similar to the one we ran last week for good yards) and not one but two defenders stayed home and stuffed it for a loss.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 03:40:43 EDT »

I absolutely love the continued development of this defense. Coming into this week, while I still thought 6-6 would be a really good finish, I was optimistic that the emergence of Worley and the complete turn-around of our D would keep us in every single game we play...which we obviously haven't been able to say in several years. After today, I'm not at all confident that our offense can score even a point against Ole Miss or Alabama, but this D will still give us chances if Worley can shake off today's game and return to the poise and composure he showed against Georgia and Utah State.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 06:35:54 EDT »

I absolutely love the continued development of this defense. Coming into this week, while I still thought 6-6 would be a really good finish, I was optimistic that the emergence of Worley and the complete turn-around of our D would keep us in every single game we play...which we obviously haven't been able to say in several years. After today, I'm not at all confident that our offense can score even a point against Ole Miss or Alabama, but this D will still give us chances if Worley can shake off today's game and return to the poise and composure he showed against Georgia and Utah State.

I think our offense just had a really bad day.  Per the KNS Sunday morning, Hurd was nicked up, which might explain why we didn't run more.

I know they can do better, they showed that against uga.  They just need to play like they did a week ago and not how they played yesterday.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 12:27:35 EDT »

I think our offense just had a really bad day.  Per the KNS Sunday morning, Hurd was nicked up, which might explain why we didn't run more.

I know they can do better, they showed that against uga.  They just need to play like they did a week ago and not how they played yesterday.
A coupe of things. 
Re: Hurd.  We are woefully thin on offense, and having difficulty developing depth.  RB is a case in point.  We essentially have Hurd and Lane with a dash of Young.  Scott hasn't seen the field on offense yet.  QB, we are hurting.  OL, ditto.  WR we have some depth but arguably our two best receivers have been injured the last 2-3 games. 

On defense we seemed to have improved overall speed and talent and are developing depth (see TK Jr as but one example).  We are thin on the line but I would argue that we have improved the level of play significantly. 

I'm sure you noticed we really stepped up our aggressiveness on defense Saturday and were really disguising our defense till the last possible second, really some late shifts, often to the point of attack.  As an example, on one play we initially showed two deep, shifted to single and then right before the snap went to zero.  We had our three corners on their receivers with no safety help over the top.

I had my doubts about Jancek last year (see my comments after the Oregon game) but the defense is playing at a high level.  We just need more DL (coming with this class) and more overall depth.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: