VTTW Board Index
May 19, 2024, 09:47:41 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mike Gundy the favorite right now for UF job  (Read 4437 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2014, 08:42:55 EST »

according to this anyway

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Florida-coaching-search-rumors-Bovada-picks-Mike-Gundy-for-UF-33024778

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 08:44:06 EST »

He's a man!  But he's not 40 any longer.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 09:59:14 EST »

I could see him leave for something better. Okie Lite is the state's stepchild school. Just not sure Florida will hire him.

If they can't get the really big named coach I'd go after Gary Patterson in a nano-second.
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 10:22:19 EST »

Media BS.  According to the Swamp, and we would be crazy to think anyone else knows more than internet message board regulars (Jon Gruden), the likely candidates are Chip Kelly, Jim Harbaugh, Sean Peyton, Andy Reid, and Jeff Fisher.  If they are forced to settle for a coordinator, Josh McDaniels MIGHT be OK.  Let's all hope it doesn't come to that.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 03:31:03 EST »

LOL, I would be happy if they got Mike Gundy.  If he can't coach in the Big 12...he wouldn't be that good in the SEC in my opinion.  I know UT was close to getting him.

That UF list is funny to say the least....why would Chip Kelly leave the NFL when he has his team in 1st place in his division?  Why would Andy Reid leave the NFL since he has been in the NFL for the past 15 years or so??  Same goes for Jeff Fisher.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 03:54:55 EST »

Foley says he would like to hire a new coach before Christmas. That would eliminate NFL coaches because they are still playing football and their owners would likely fire them immediately. Only Bobby Petrino would do that. If they want to hire a successful NCAA coach, they will likely be preparing a team for a bowl. Yes you can lure away a good coach with money, but what Big 5 conference coach would leave? So you are likely talking about a former NFL coach out of a job right now or a former head coach working as a coordinator.

Florida will have to throw a lot of money at an NFL guy to get one back to college. Only Mullen and Freeze in SEC are considered offensive genius coaches. It would be a hoot to see Gundy at Florida; I would pay money to watch the press conference after a bad game. All this speculation makes me think of Casablanca. "Go out and round up the usual suspects."
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 08:04:46 EST »

I can only hope for another disastrous hire, but there are too many easy options. Foley can snag Petrino, Gary Patterson, Freeze, or even Cutcliffe. No way he messes this up, but I'm hoping.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 11:02:28 EST »

I can only hope for another disastrous hire, but there are too many easy options. Foley can snag Petrino, Gary Patterson, Freeze, or even Cutcliffe. No way he messes this up, but I'm hoping.

Wow Cutcliffe...I hope not, but would be surprised if he was a serious candidate.  I don't think he wants to leave Dook, frankly.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 03:25:36 EST »

I disagree with you.  Why would Cutcliffe leave Duke?  Especially at his age.  He knows what the SEC is like.  Why would he leave Duke when they are winning 8 - 10 games a year and he has it easy in the ACC?  Same with Gary Patterson.  That guy has had his option to leave many times and hasn't.  Why would you leave TCU when you are in the Top 10 and are doing well in the Big 12 to go to a UF team that will be rebuilding?  They don't have the offensive pieces in place so it is going to take 2 years at least to get to where they can run a good offense.
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 03:27:33 EST »

Also, I will say this.  Everybody talks about how Florida is a hot bed for recruiting and it is.  However, it hurts UF when Miami and FSU are doing well.  Let's hope Miami gets it turned around soon too.  Don't forget that when Urban was King down there, both FSU and Miami were awful so UF got everyone they wanted.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 09:54:41 EST »

Also, I will say this.  Everybody talks about how Florida is a hot bed for recruiting and it is.  However, it hurts UF when Miami and FSU are doing well.  Let's hope Miami gets it turned around soon too.  Don't forget that when Urban was King down there, both FSU and Miami were awful so UF got everyone they wanted.

yep

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: