VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 12:48:27 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Didn't watch the game...  (Read 9773 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2013, 11:00:05 EST »

knew we'd lose. Came back home right now, and sure enough. We lost in typical fashion.

CCM isn't going to get it done.

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 06:44:34 EST »

I will recap it for you.

Maymon shoots so hard he almost shatters the backboard and bends the rim the first ten minutes.

Stokes forgets that assaulting the other team is not accepted practice away from Knoxville.

McRea is the only Vol that realizes that it is important that you score more points than the other team if you want to win.

No one except McRae appears to know how to shoot the ball.  Maymon and Stokes both just do not have any touch or seem to be able to control the ball near the rim other than at TBA. If this team does not score off the fast break or pushing it up court, it will not score.

I hope Hart pulls the plug on the Coach Martin experiment at the end of the season.  Unless they pull a miracle to win the SEC tourney, they are destined foe another one-and-done NIT bid.  Coach Martin - Doing less with talent that could win more.  It is coaching people. Not players.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 07:28:32 EST »

I agree we look far from being a good BB team.....but, I had no doubt we would lose yesterday. WS is 30-3 at home in their last 33 home games. I didn't think we had a chance really.
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 07:33:33 EST »

Defensively, the play wasn't bad (except for a tendency to forget boxing out on rebounds and our big guys allowing themselves to be pushed around under the rim too much).

Offensively, it was the same old song and dance. It's really getting tiring. Lots of people say that they don't like Cuonzo's offense, but I guess my response to that is WHAT offense? The play of our bigs at the rim was atrocious. Wichita State is a really good team, but we're going to face better teams, and if Maymon and Stokes don't grow up and stop being so soft, it's not going to be pretty.

People who don't follow basketball that closely look at the team's record and say, "What's the big deal?" But so far -- with the exception of the Xavier rematch in the Bahamas -- we've lost the only 2 "resume builder" games on the schedule, along with that inexcusable loss to UTEP.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 08:58:05 EST »

People who don't follow basketball that closely look at the team's record and say, "What's the big deal?" But so far -- with the exception of the Xavier rematch in the Bahamas -- we've lost the only 2 "resume builder" games on the schedule, along with that inexcusable loss to UTEP.

Well, considering that the SEC is really down in the RPI rankings, and the fact that those 3 "resume builders" represent a third of the games we've played thus far, loosing all 3 of those is a pretty big deal when it comes to making the NCAAs as an at large.  Road wins make teams at large NCAA teams.  We can't just win home games over teams we should beat at home and have a chance to make the tourney. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 11:39:58 EST »

I have a friend who follows the inner happenings of the UT basketball program as closely as anyone I know, and he is convinced that Cuonzo Martin will have at least one more season, perhaps two, regardless of what happens the rest of the way this year.

I hope he's wrong. I didn't get season tickets because I was afraid of what we're now seeing. I did pick up some individual game tickets for some after Christmas games for my son as a gift, but at this point I'm not even looking forward to attending those games. I suppose something might change, but I have no confidence in that after 2.5 seasons. Cuonzo's teams will always beat a team or two they shouldn't and leave everyone feeling good about them. But they'll always lose a few games they shouldn't, too, and play the same old brand of boring offense. I'm okay with boring offense if wins are the end result. We all tolerated Kevin O'Pottymouth, who played the most boring brand of basketball since they began using steel rims instead of peach baskets, because he helped bring the program back just a bit from the dark ages of Wade Houston. But Cuonzo's teams have consistently under-achieved. Does anyone feel even the least bit excited about next season with Jordy Mac and possibly Stokes gone?
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 12:35:20 EST »

I have a friend who follows the inner happenings of the UT basketball program as closely as anyone I know, and he is convinced that Cuonzo Martin will have at least one more season, perhaps two, regardless of what happens the rest of the way this year.

I hope he's wrong. I didn't get season tickets because I was afraid of what we're now seeing. I did pick up some individual game tickets for some after Christmas games for my son as a gift, but at this point I'm not even looking forward to attending those games. I suppose something might change, but I have no confidence in that after 2.5 seasons. Cuonzo's teams will always beat a team or two they shouldn't and leave everyone feeling good about them. But they'll always lose a few games they shouldn't, too, and play the same old brand of boring offense. I'm okay with boring offense if wins are the end result. We all tolerated Kevin O'Pottymouth, who played the most boring brand of basketball since they began using steel rims instead of peach baskets, because he helped bring the program back just a bit from the dark ages of Wade Houston. But Cuonzo's teams have consistently under-achieved. Does anyone feel even the least bit excited about next season with Jordy Mac and possibly Stokes gone?

I don't see how the powers that be can bring back Cuonzo if he fails to make the tourney again this year.  Pre-Pearl apathy began to set in last year, and with no tourney again this year it will get even worse.  Don't think the program can survive another year of non-tourney Cuonzo. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
RON
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 02:11:12 EST »

I want Pearl back. Pearls years at UT was the most fun I ever had watching UT Basketball.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 02:21:11 EST »

Unless this team suddenly learns how to score, they will not make The Dance. The only one to blame is Cuonzo. Martin by all it appears is a good and decent man.  He is just a bad coach.  I mean a really really bad coach.  In way over his head.  After this team tanks at the end of the year (we have previous years of worst players as evidence), we will learn about Hart as AD.  If he only cares about football and cares nothing about other sports, Cuonzo will get another year.

None of Cuonzo's team have demonstrated improvement to date.  When faced with adversity, they collapse.

Name one, just one decision or coaching move Cuonzo has made in 3 years that resulted in a win. If this team wins a close game it is despite a coaching blunder by Martin.

I want someone on the beach that knows how to prepare a team to win.  All UT has is someone that looks lost.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 03:32:08 EST »

Unless this team suddenly learns how to score, they will not make The Dance. The only one to blame is Cuonzo. Martin by all it appears is a good and decent man.  He is just a bad coach.  I mean a really really bad coach.  In way over his head.  After this team tanks at the end of the year (we have previous years of worst players as evidence), we will learn about Hart as AD.  If he only cares about football and cares nothing about other sports, Cuonzo will get another year.

None of Cuonzo's team have demonstrated improvement to date.  When faced with adversity, they collapse.

Name one, just one decision or coaching move Cuonzo has made in 3 years that resulted in a win. If this team wins a close game it is despite a coaching blunder by Martin.

I want someone on the beach that knows how to prepare a team to win.  All UT has is someone that looks lost.

I think Cuonzo might just talent his way into the Dance this year and then collapse (and be let go) next year.  Not sure we will get anyone better though, but you can always hope. 

Getting Pearl was like winning the lottery, in retrospect.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 03:38:46 EST »

I think Cuonzo might just talent his way into the Dance this year and then collapse (and be let go) next year.  Not sure we will get anyone better though, but you can always hope. 

Getting Pearl was like winning the lottery, in retrospect.

Short of winning the SECT (like THAT'S happening), our only chance to make the dance now is to run through the conference schedule with no more than 3-4 losses at the most.  I don't see that happening.  But we've blown every chance for a resume-building OOC win, and the SEC isn't regarded highly enough to get us there on conference play alone.

Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 03:45:06 EST »

Short of winning the SECT (like THAT'S happening), our only chance to make the dance now is to run through the conference schedule with no more than 3-4 losses at the most.  I don't see that happening.  But we've blown every chance for a resume-building OOC win, and the SEC isn't regarded highly enough to get us there on conference play alone.

It'll be same as last year. We'll finish well enough in conference play to be considered a bubble team. But we won't get in because the SEC is not a good basketball conference right now, and there will be mass wailing and gnashing of teeth. Last year I was one of the ones doing the complaining. IMO, Tennessee deserved a tourney bid last year over some of the teams that got in. There'll be no complaining from me this year, however, because with the talent this team has there's just no excuse for there to be any doubt about our fate when March rolls around.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 04:03:11 EST »

This team isnt that talented. Outside of McRae we have no real scorer. I know Hubbs is thought to be that type of player and he may be in time but not as a freshman. Stokes has either peaked or does not really try to improve his game. Maymon is trying but he is rusty. Both guys play below the rim on offense and that kills us. f either could step out and hit a shot it would help but they cannot.  We don't have a true center so this team is just missing some parts to play the style we are and that is all Cuonzo knows apparently.
Creek Walker
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 04:14:02 EST »

This team isnt that talented.

In terms of raw talent, this is probably the second-most talented team Tennessee has had in 30 years, only to the team that Pearl took to the Elite 8.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 04:21:02 EST »

In terms of raw talent, this is probably the second-most talented team Tennessee has had in 30 years, only to the team that Pearl took to the Elite 8.

IMO, that was one of Pearl's LEAST talented teams, especially after Tyler Smith got the boot.  That was just an amazing coaching job by Bruce late in that season.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 12:04:30 EST »

IMO, that was one of Pearl's LEAST talented teams, especially after Tyler Smith got the boot.  That was just an amazing coaching job by Bruce late in that season.
In addition to or a result of Prince playing the best he ever played in his life

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 08:08:35 EST »

I DID watch most of the game.  I agree that it was not unexpected, and that it was disappointing.

On the other hand, I did think the team played much better than in the opener vs. Xavier.  More hustle, better execution, and even better FT shooting (though still room for improvement).  And WSU IS no 12 in the country....it's not like they suck.

So I am not willing to give up on the season based on this one game, because IMO there has been improvement from the first week, and this improvement has come earlier than usual for a Cuanzo team.

The jury is obviously still out, but I think it's *possible* we could lose only 4 SEC games.  I tend to think that it's also possible we could get in with as many as 6 losses, but ICBW.

Heck, the way UK is playing, we might have a shot in Rupp, even with the Rupperees.

Bottom line for me....we will know a lot more at the end of January.   I am willing to wait.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 01:08:16 EST »

The more I think about it, I'm not sure that Bruce EVER had a team as talented as Jerry Green's best.  Tony Harris, Brandon Wharton, Vince Yarbrough, CJ Black, and Isaiah Victor were as good a starting 5 as we've ever had.  Heck, future SEC POY Ron Slay actually came off the bench for those teams.  I wouldn't say that was the worst coaching job in SEC history (because let's face it, Dale Brown has that honor on lockdown), but it's a solid runner up.

I would've loved to see what Bruce could've done with that kind of talent.

Creek Walker
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 01:12:50 EST »

The more I think about it, I'm not sure that Bruce EVER had a team as talented as Jerry Green's best.  Tony Harris, Brandon Wharton, Vince Yarbrough, CJ Black, and Isaiah Victor were as good a starting 5 as we've ever had.  Heck, future SEC POY Ron Slay actually came off the bench for those teams.  I wouldn't say that was the worst coaching job in SEC history (because let's face it, Dale Brown has that honor on lockdown), but it's a solid runner up.

I don't agree that Pearl's Elite 8 team was his least talented, but I will agree that Green's team was UT's most talented ever. That was a very good basketball team.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 01:20:43 EST »

I don't agree that Pearl's Elite 8 team was his least talented, but I will agree that Green's team was UT's most talented ever. That was a very good basketball team.

I said it was one of his least talented.  Clearly his first team has less talent, but I'm not sure there was another.

73Volgrad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 01:26:24 EST »

Bandit,

I have not given up on the team. I have given up on Cuonzo having seen his coaching ability to date. IMO, I think a high school coach could do more with this team. If your idea of improvement is to keep it close into the middle of the 2nd half and then let the wheels come off. Their MO has been to play poorly early and mount a rally until they fall apart. Losing intensity and knowing who to guard is the MO of every Cuonzo team that falls apart.

There is not going to be a magical moment that the light goes on for this team. Unless Maymon and Stokes play better than they have to date against good competition and not the Little Sisters of the Poor. Against the Top Level teams, Stokes has vanished, usually to foul trouble. You cannot score and rebound on the bench.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 01:43:11 EST »

Oh my god. I just daydreamed about Bruce Pearl coaching Ron Slay. The Slay Hate from the rest of the SEC would be cranked all the way to 11.

And it would be so glorious.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 01:48:57 EST »

Oh my god. I just daydreamed about Bruce Pearl coaching Ron Slay. The Slay Hate from the rest of the SEC would be cranked all the way to 11.

Dude, Slay was a thug. He wore a headband for pete's sakes.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 01:59:18 EST »

I think the rest of the SEC will remember Slay a little more fondly, now that they have Marshall Henderson to compare him to.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 02:20:05 EST »

Bandit,

I have not given up on the team. I have given up on Cuonzo having seen his coaching ability to date. IMO, I think a high school coach could do more with this team. If your idea of improvement is to keep it close into the middle of the 2nd half and then let the wheels come off. Their MO has been to play poorly early and mount a rally until they fall apart. Losing intensity and knowing who to guard is the MO of every Cuonzo team that falls apart.

There is not going to be a magical moment that the light goes on for this team. Unless Maymon and Stokes play better than they have to date against good competition and not the Little Sisters of the Poor. Against the Top Level teams, Stokes has vanished, usually to foul trouble. You cannot score and rebound on the bench.

I was responding to volznut not you but I didnt say the team was performing at a high level....just that they are IMO better than they were against Xavier.  All is not.lost.

Its true that Cuonzo is no Pearl but thats a high standard unfortunately.  As much as I point out that WSU is good Pearl often beat teams that, on paper , were much better than Tennessee.  Cuonzo does not....but then again, who does? Pearl is definitely a tough.act to follow. 

I do think Cuonzo has underperformed but saying a HS coach would do better is a pretty big exageration. 

Regardless, for me the true test will be the early SEC schedule.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: