VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 01:00:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Mas  (Read 1710 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2020, 01:19:16 EST »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7-NFqW2WF0U" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/7-NFqW2WF0U</a>

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 02:26:24 EST »

One of the greatest.  My first as UT frosh.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 02:57:08 EST »

I was there that glorious day

I had given my tickets away because I wasn't going to be able to go....Things changed on Friday but I had given my 2 tickets to a buddy and his wife. Told the wife Friday afternoon lets go and if we get in we get in. We drove to Knoxville and stayed with my brother who was living there in knoxville at that time...Got up the next morning and went to the strip etc...we joined in at some tailgates....About a hour before kickoff I started looking for tickets which were few and far between....This man was standing around the bookstore with his young son and I asked him what he wanted for the 2 tickets....He said me an my son can't go so I'll take $150 for the pair...I took em.

Wife and me get to the seats about 15 minutes before kickoff...Sat next to a gentleman probably in his early 70's and his wife and a group of their friends....
Tried to strike up a conversation with him and he gave me the cold shoulder...flat rude. So I just said to my wife the heck with this dude I'll not say another word to him....About 5 minutes before kickoff he leaned over to me and said....Where did you get those tickets? I told him I had bought them from a man outside the bookstore....He said, those 2 seats are my season tickets and I gave them to a buddies son who wanted to bring his son to the game....I told the guy I was sorry for that but that guy had $150.00 of mine in his pocket and I hoped he gives you some of it. Of course the wife and me were dressed in our UT gear and the man said....Well, at least you and your wife are UT fans and not Auburn.....By the 3rd quarter the old man and me were hugging and giving each other high 5's with excitement.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 04:09:46 EST »

What year was it that it rained and rained and rained? The field looked like a lake and when a player got tackled they would slide for 10 yards?

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 04:36:07 EST »

What year was it that it rained and rained and rained? The field looked like a lake and when a player got tackled they would slide for 10 yards?

1987.  We tied them, but in retrospect it was a turning point against the Pat Dye-led Auburn teams. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 04:46:34 EST »

In 73 it rained very hard starting at the end of halftime.  I gained 20+ pounds as my wool Pride uni soaked up that much water getting back to our seats.

Only the center yard of Doug's rug wasn't under water

In the mid 2nd half we punted on 1st down about 4 out of 5 times.  The only time we didn't the punter dropped the snap so we punted on 2nd down.

On one punt the ball hit at the 25, bounced to the 12-10 and floated (towards the old Section X) to the 5

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 04:50:50 EST »

This is a pretty sweet win too.
http://
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfGZor9sSx4&t=4388s

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 04:59:40 EST »

In 73 it rained very hard starting at the end of halftime.  I gained 20+ pounds as my wool Pride uni soaked up that much water getting back to our seats.

In the mid 2nd half we punted on 1st down about 4 out of 5 times.  The only time we didn't the punter dropped the snap so we punted on 2nd down.

On one punt the ball hit at the 25, bounced to the 12-10 and floated (towards the old Section X) to the 5
Still a classic game. My dad took me. I was 12. He was working on the construction of the World Trade Center at the time if I recall right. Used to fly home from NYC every other weekend.

volsboyinsodak
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 06:51:58 EST »

I had one of the worst colds I ever had after that game. We were sitting in the first row on the goal line. Water was running like a river down the steps and ending up right where our feet were.

I had a great time. 
Volengineer
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 07:34:22 EST »

It rained like crazy in '89.  I was soaked.  Once you realized you absolutely couldn't stay dry no matter what, it was a blast.  The Vols won 21-13.  The AU snapper sailed two snaps over the punters head for a safety each time.  Cobb's 79 yd TD run was a thing of beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgqIOsouQEc
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 07:58:18 EST »

I had a full body heavy duty rain suit on with my knee high rubber duck boots....I stayed dry.

Notice in that video we could actually execute a screen pass.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 12:57:46 EST »

It rained like crazy in '89.  I was soaked.  Once you realized you absolutely couldn't stay dry no matter what, it was a blast.  The Vols won 21-13.  The AU snapper sailed two snaps over the punters head for a safety each time.  Cobb's 79 yd TD run was a thing of beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgqIOsouQEc

Eh, that was the one I was thinking of above.  It was indeed a blast.   

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 01:02:26 EST »

I watched '85 on TV, as I did the '87 tie. Quite frankly, the latter was a solid moral victory. In '89, a kind friend gave us his seats IN THE DRY under the northwest side of the press box. I still remember Reggie Cobb's run, and Marion Hobby batting down Reggie Slack's (?) pass on their last possession.

Fact check the last part. What I remember isn't always what happened.

I also remember staying for only a half when Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams destroyed us in '04 (?). Ugh.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: