VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 06:18:53 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Admit it. You were worried about Tyler Bray.  (Read 2266 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2011, 01:12:40 EDT »

I know I was.  He put up big numbers against some terrible teams last year, and by the end of the season, opponents seem to catch on to his "chuck it 80 yards and pray" offense.  And when he went 5 of 30 in the spring game, it only compounded my fears.  I wasn't about to say so on here, but I was worried we may have yet another QB with a million dollar arm and a ten cent brain.

But through two games this year, he looks to have a better grasp of our offense than any QB since #16.  And he has a BETTER arm than Peyton.  If we can keep him (and Hunter and Rogers) beyond next season, we'll be doing well.  I think all three of those guys will be first rounders.

bUTros bUTros-VOLlie
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 01:16:53 EDT »

Not me...but I'm crazy and you can't go by me. I was only worried that he would become disinterested in football and not work at it. The coaches wouldn't let him.

Much better than any Soph QB I've seen in orange. And the tight spirals are slo mo heaven.

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their Orange. - Qwerty Vol Underwood
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 01:43:43 EDT »

I still have concerns.

I will say this....even against a crappy pass D like Cincy, today was impressive.

OTOH, Cincy was 110/118 vs. the pass last year against a slate of Big East opponents. 

Next week will be a much tougher test.

Disclaimer....the NCAA has yet to archive the official stats from 2010 yet (which is frustrating me).  The 110th rating is from Phil Steele's rating system, which is not based solely on stat but factors in SOS and other things.

FTR, UF was # 11 vs. the pass in that same rating system.  So Bray will FINALLY face a "good pass D".

Balance that somewhat when you consider that the gators have lost two first team SEC DBs and a third starter, but I will go out on a limb and say that even in their depleted state, in Gainsville, they will present a much tougher test than anyone Bray has faced as a starter to date.

I think there was a general VTTW consensus last year that if only we'd had a decent QB we could have taken the gators.

I am looking forward to this game with more optimisim than I have had since 2006.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 03:38:08 EDT »

I was nervously optimistic coming into the season. At this point, I think we might have our best quarterback since No. 16 by the time all is said and done. Granted, Cincinnati's defense sucked. I mean, seriously, they completely forgot about Hunter in the end zone on one of the TD passes. How do you just forget about Hunter or Rogers? But some quarterbacks couldn't complete 34 of 41 passes in warm-up drills. I don't think we have had a quarterback that is this accurate, with receivers like this to throw to, in a long time. Bray looks very comfortable with the offense and he and Hunter and Rogers are working together like a well-oiled machine at this point.

I'm anxious for next week's game if for no reason than to finally get to see Bray against a top-notch pass defense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: