VTTW Board Index
May 08, 2024, 12:08:02 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I see a game plan that looked a lot like what Majors did  (Read 4031 times)
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2011, 03:41:56 EDT »

when we played Bama. Just completely change everything we have been doing and now we cant score.   

Still can't run the ball. We either need better players on the line or a better line coach. I am thinking the latter because we are supposed to stocked with high rated o-linemen. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 05:02:19 EDT »

???  What did we change?

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 05:05:57 EDT »

when we played Bama. Just completely change everything we have been doing and now we cant score.   

Still can't run the ball. We either need better players on the line or a better line coach. I am thinking the latter because we are supposed to stocked with high rated o-linemen. 
We are still having too many individual breakdowns.  The majority of the breakdowns (difficult to determine some of them tonight live but will review closer when I get back to bubbaville) reside with two linemen.  In both instances I'd like to see their backups get a shot.  Also, Stone is getting worse with his snaps.  The problem is his B/U is one of the two I was refering to.

IF Simms is the QB we need better line play than we have been getting.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
3beans
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 05:08:59 EDT »

If Simms is the backup, we need a running game.  Against lsu??? I hope Bray is OK.  Nothing bad about Simms, he did a good job tonight.  He gave us a chance.  But if he's starting against lsu then we have real problems.
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 05:14:00 EDT »

We have real problems no matter who starts. I don't know about the comparisons to Majors but I would agree that this was not the best called game. And Dooley punting with 8 something left was like throwing in the towel. That did remind me of Fulmer and I didn't care for it a bit.

Oh well.

CW
3beans
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 05:21:45 EDT »

Comon..... It was like 4th and 17 with 8 and a half minutes to go.  A lot can happen in that amount of time.  One thing I do not agree on is that the play clock is reset when the offense gets a penalty.  Then they get to run 30 more seconds off the clock.  Theoretically a team could use up the entire game clock by jumping offsides.  This is wrong and punishes the defense for an offensive penalty.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 07:30:08 EDT »

I questioned the punt at the time too, but in hindsight, it worked.  Best case scenario, you hold UGA to a three and out, get the ball back, and score.  That's exactly what happened.  If we had pulled off the onside kick after the TD and tied the game, everyone would be saying the punt was a good decision.

CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 04:37:07 EDT »

I don't disagree but what is more likely, converting on a 4th and 16 or an onside kick? I bet the percentages are higher with the 4th and 16. Anyway, water under the bridge.

CW
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 06:08:18 EDT »

I don't disagree but what is more likely, converting on a 4th and 16 or an onside kick? I bet the percentages are higher with the 4th and 16. Anyway, water under the bridge.

CW

Both were pretty remote possibilites.  Remember, not only did we have to convert the 4th and 16, we had to take it down and score AFTER the conversion, without burning too much clock.  Dooley gambled that we would have a better chance by pinning them deep, and he turned out to be right.  And considering that we have already pulled off one onside kick this year, I can see his reasoning.

CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 06:21:55 EDT »

Conversion rates for onside kicks when the receiving team is not expecting it are much, much higher than the typical, end of game onside kicks when the receiving team is expecting it and have their good hands people up.

In other words, the onside kick we converted earlier in the year cannot be compared to an end of game scenario onside kick. The percentages fall way off. They are two completely different animals.

With the field position and the time remaining I think he should have gone for it. You disagree. No biggie. Under Dooley's way we lost. What I thought he should have done probably would have resulted in a loss as well. 

CW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: