VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 08:02:04 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP Tom Clancy  (Read 4012 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2013, 05:06:55 EDT »

Sad to hear of his death today. I have read almost all of his books

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 05:15:22 EDT »

That sucks.  I don't read much, but he's one of the few authors I enjoyed.  Without Remorse and Debt of Honor were my favorites.

CornFromAJar
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 11:10:26 EDT »

The Hunt for Red October was the first of Tom Clancy's book I read and I can say that I almost never put it down until I finished it. That's the book that got me hooked on his writing. I admire the fact he went from frustrated insurance salesman to best-selling author. RIP.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 12:02:53 EDT »

He put out some fantastic stuff, much of which was plausible. He did his homework.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 12:39:29 EDT »

Pretty sad.  He was only 66, which nowadays is pretty young.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 12:22:31 EDT »

The Hunt for Red October was the first of Tom Clancy's book I read and I can say that I almost never put it down until I finished it. That's the book that got me hooked on his writing. I admire the fact he went from frustrated insurance salesman to best-selling author. RIP.
A coworker was raving about HFRO so I picked up a paperback one evening.  Thought I'd read a chapter or 2 to get a feel for the book.  A couple of hours later the wife asked if I was coming to bed?

I loved Red Storm in a lot of ways, not the least of which is that having spent a year in Island I could follow the action there with a clear understanding of the difficult terrain that was being traversed. Though he got the shape and use of the "Frisbee's" wrong.

I look over to my bookcase and the top shelf and a half are Clancy books, in order.  Sorry to say I haven't read what is now his penultimate novel, Locked on yet.  At >840 pages its a bit difficult to take on trips.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 01:17:10 EDT »

A coworker was raving about HFRO so I picked up a paperback one evening.  Thought I'd read a chapter or 2 to get a feel for the book.  A couple of hours later the wife asked if I was coming to bed?

I loved Red Storm in a lot of ways, not the least of which is that having spent a year in Island I could follow the action there with a clear understanding of the difficult terrain that was being traversed. Though he got the shape and use of the "Frisbee's" wrong.

I look over to my bookcase and the top shelf and a half are Clancy books, in order.  Sorry to say I haven't read what is now his penultimate novel, Locked on yet.  At >840 pages its a bit difficult to take on trips.

Great book, and a good movie (although they stopped the movie a lot sooner than the book). My favorite by him, by far, is Without Remorse.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 06:51:02 EDT »

Great book, and a good movie (although they stopped the movie a lot sooner than the book). My favorite by him, by far, is Without Remorse.

I wonder why WR hasn't been made into a movie yet?  Of all his books, that seems like the one that would translate best to the big screen.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: