VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 10:46:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stupidest play calling I think I have seen all year  (Read 4898 times)
Volengineer
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2012, 03:19:29 EDT »

3rd and 1 and we throw. 
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 03:21:11 EDT »

Yea looks like Chaney is calling again this week.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 03:23:54 EDT »

That's what you get with a bargain bin coach.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 10:18:12 EDT »

Horrible call, I agree.  And it doesn't help that even when there are shorter routes wide open, Tyler often forces it farther down the field.

But IV....Chaney has been calling the plays all along.  Or did you tap into the comm system at Neyland and listen in?

You need to poke yourself in the eye for saying that.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 02:04:47 EDT »

Horrible call, I agree.  And it doesn't help that even when there are shorter routes wide open, Tyler often forces it farther down the field.

But IV....Chaney has been calling the plays all along.  Or did you tap into the comm system at Neyland and listen in?

You need to poke yourself in the eye for saying that.   

After watching us play football I am ready too.     

Seriously though did you not notice a difference last week from all the other games this year?
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 03:19:48 EDT »

I thought the play calling was not bad.  The execution sucked!
We all can point to individual plays we think isn't a good call but we perhaps don't see the matchup that we are attempting to exploit.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 03:40:15 EDT »

There was no matchup to exploit man..........................................................call a timeout and then call a play where no one got open, then go for it with the BEAST............................WHEN BAMA knows what's coming. That is where we have to run on 3rd and on 4th down to get it................................shizzle call.................PEROID DOT!

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 04:06:34 EDT by ChattanoogaVol » Logged

Go Big Orange.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 05:50:28 EDT »

I thought the play calling was not bad.  The execution sucked!

In general I didn't think the play calling was terrible. 

An exception...whatever we were doing on 3rd and 1.  Come out in the Beast, call time out, throw the ball 12 yards downfield to an empty spot on the sideline, THEN come out in the Beast and get stuffed.   

The Beast has worked well at times.  In that situation though, I say line it up and send Marlin into the line twice.  Don't eff around.

But in general execution was terrible.  I wouldn't blame most of it on play calling.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 07:38:41 EDT »

There was no matchup to exploit man..........................................................call a timeout and then call a play where no one got open, then go for it with the BEAST............................WHEN BAMA knows what's coming. That is where we have to run on 3rd and on 4th down to get it................................shizzle call.................PEROID DOT!

Yep, doesn't get any more stupid than that.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 01:04:21 EDT »

In general I didn't think the play calling was terrible. 

An exception...whatever we were doing on 3rd and 1.  Come out in the Beast, call time out, throw the ball 12 yards downfield to an empty spot on the sideline, THEN come out in the Beast and get stuffed.   

The Beast has worked well at times.  In that situation though, I say line it up and send Marlin into the line twice.  Don't eff around.

But in general execution was terrible.  I wouldn't blame most of it on play calling.
Twice we screwed up personnel packages going to a wildcat.  I swear the first one with Pig to be the QB we were going to throw the ball.  The 2nd, we lined up with 12 men.  On the subsequent play after the TO we had the FB guarded only by the back judge, waiving his arms frantically and Bray never looked at anyone other than Hunter.  The subsequent stuff IMO was partially the result of poor play selection/design.

Why do I think we were going to throw the ball - the receiver set.  Typically in the wildcat we take our front line receivers out and put in Dallas and #87.  On that play we had the top 2 in the game and it appeared that ZRO was late coming onto the field as the 3rd receiver.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 01:06:32 EDT »

Twice we screwed up personnel packages going to a wildcat.  I swear the first one with Pig to be the QB we were going to throw the ball.  The 2nd, we lined up with 12 men.  On the subsequent play after the TO we had the FB guarded only by the back judge, waiving his arms frantically and Bray never looked at anyone other than Hunter.  The subsequent stuff IMO was partially the result of poor play selection/design.

Why do I think we were going to throw the ball - the receiver set.  Typically in the wildcat we take our front line receivers out and put in Dallas and #87.  On that play we had the top 2 in the game and it appeared that ZRO was late coming onto the field as the 3rd receiver.

Sounds almost like something worth trying, but perhaps on 2nd and one.  Wish it had worked.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 03:14:52 EDT »

Yeah, the 3rd and 1 call sent me over the edge. That was inexcusable.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 03:59:21 EDT »

I am coming to the conclusion, if the WILDCATER or whatever can't throw the football then they should not be the WILDCATER. You need to have the option and threat of the pass in this formation, otherwise, the defense puts 11 in the box - as Alabama did. I would put #84 as in the wildcat because he can throw the football as he was about to do in the NC State game. Without the pass, we might as well line up in the wishbone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: