VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 07:56:55 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uh...  (Read 2920 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2012, 02:53:56 EDT »

Tyler Bray's started 2012 started with eye-popping numbers and a hope that this could be a season filled with defining moments that might propel him into the nation's elite quarterbacks.

In four frustrating SEC losses, there have been defining moments, but not the kind Tennessee anticipated.

Bray couldn't shake a "jumpy" start in Tennessee's 44-13 loss to Alabama Saturday night at Neyland Stadium. He finished 13 for 27 for 184 yards and had two interceptions and no touchdowns.

After a long wait, a media relations representative announced that Bray would not be meeting with reporters as he had after every game this year.

"Our quarterback didn't play well," said Tennessee coach Derek Dooley. "I'm not sure why."

In the Vols' four losses, Bray has thrown eight interceptions and completed only 72-of-140 passes (51 percent). In the three wins, his completion percentage is 77 percent (59-of-77)with eight touchdowns and only one interception.

With its defense struggling, Tennessee needs its potent offense to make up the difference. To do that, the Vols need an on-target Bray.

Asked why Bray had struggled on Saturday, Dooley used the phrase "I don't know" three times.

"He didn't look good early. I thought he played his way out of it and hit a couple of good balls," Dooley said. "He was throwing balls early. He got some balls batted — he never gets balls batted ... He's got to play well for us to score points. That's just what it is."

Bray's struggles affected Tennessee's strategy just before halftime, when the Vols elected to run out the clock near midfield with two timeouts rather than take multiple chances down the field.

"I understand why people were upset with me," Dooley said. "We were down 13, which is fine. That's not the end of the world. I didn't want to give the ball back and risk it being 16 or even more. If we were moving the ball well, I would have been more aggressive."

Dooley said he expected the Vols to score more than 13 points.

"I'm disappointed we didn't play better on offense," he said. "That doesn't mean we played well on defense — don't get me wrong. I just thought we would play better for four quarters. I thought we'd execute our pass game a little better."

Attempts to get Justin Hunter and Cordarrelle Patterson more involved in the passing game fell short.

"We took five shots to Justin in the first half and went 0-for-5 on it," Dooley said. "We took a couple to CP and got nothing. That's the way it is."

Tight end Mychal Rivera, who caught one pass for 43 yards, said the Vols are a better team than they showed.

"It's disappointing because the offense can be way more explosive than we were today," he said. "I feel like if we would have executed on offense we could have hung in there."

But Tennessee didn't execute, and with Bray absent, his teammates were left to try to explain the struggles.

"There was a lot going on tonight," said Hunter. "We had a lot of MA's (missed assignments). The defense was just really good. And things weren't clicking."

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/oct/21/after-struggling-against-alabama-tennessees-bray/

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 04:59:05 EDT »

LOL WTF Tyler.

This team is going to fold up. Watch and see. They are going to lose to SC obviously, and they will lose to Mizzou and Vandy, and Troy and Kentucky are games they could legitimately lose.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 05:05:58 EDT »

It's been a shizzlety 3 years for Tennessee Football............................    

Go Big Orange.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 05:36:05 EDT »

LOL WTF Tyler.

This team is going to fold up. Watch and see. They are going to lose to SC obviously, and they will lose to Mizzou and Vandy, and Troy and Kentucky are games they could legitimately lose.

Being Mizzou's first ever SEC win, at home, would be the final indignity on this shizzlepile of a season.  IMO, it would be even more embarrassing than losing to that assclown Franklin.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 05:45:50 EDT »

LOL WTF Tyler.

Truly hope not.

Last night was bad, but it was the number one team in the country, and hopefully was the low point of the season.

As we saw last year, it can definitely get worse.  If it does, it's a really bad thing for Tennessee, no matter who the coach is next year.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 07:41:11 EDT »

How much does this year look like 2008? 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 07:52:10 EDT »

How much does this year look like 2008?  

2008?  What about last year?  It was worse than either.   
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:59:37 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: