VTTW Board Index
May 18, 2024, 10:57:16 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One thing this virus has taught me  (Read 1507 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2020, 06:01:10 EDT »

is that I was way too invested in sports.

For me personally, I had watching sports way too high on the list of to-do things.

As more time goes by, I find myself missing it less and less.

I know that if things return to normal, I will watch the sports that I did before the pandemic but I don't think it will ever again be nearly as high on my list of important things to do. I could be wrong but right now I don't think that will be the case.
10EC
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 08:55:11 EDT »

I could be wrong but right now I don't think that will be the case.

Beat Bama and it will change back....
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 03:50:20 EDT »

I'll really admit that could be true, but I'm already old. I may not make it that long.

Seriously, I've just realized that I was much too vested in sports (college - the only pro sport that I watch is golf).
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 06:50:48 EDT »

Watching golf is all I've done.....Have not watched a combine total of 3 hours of NBA in the past 35 years. I was born a St. Louis Cards fan in the early 50's and watch very little MLB even though every Cards game is on TV here where I live. My usual routine in the Fall on Sat is watch GameDay....then watch football games all day until midnight....I'm sure I'll get more excited when the season gets closer the end of September but right now I got the feeling the season won't happen so I'm in a meh mode right now even for college football.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 11:02:05 EDT »

is that I was way too invested in sports.

For me personally, I had watching sports way too high on the list of to-do things.

As more time goes by, I find myself missing it less and less.

I know that if things return to normal, I will watch the sports that I did before the pandemic but I don't think it will ever again be nearly as high on my list of important things to do. I could be wrong but right now I don't think that will be the case.

I kinda agree.  I really don't miss it.  Especially when certain media houses, uh, ESPN, seem to be pushing to politicize sports.  This is of course mainly to drive up ratings and squeeze more juice out of the turnip.  We as a society have brought this on by allowing obscene amounts of $$$ to be pumped into sports - and not just pro sports.  It's time we took the turnip away from them and throw the fizzleer away.  We, the fans, have created a monster out of our own gluttony. 

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 12:52:40 EDT »

I kinda agree.  I really don't miss it.  Especially when certain media houses, uh, ESPN, seem to be pushing to politicize sports.  This is of course mainly to drive up ratings and squeeze more juice out of the turnip.  We as a society have brought this on by allowing obscene amounts of $$$ to be pumped into sports - and not just pro sports.  It's time we took the turnip away from them and throw the fizzleer away.  We, the fans, have created a monster out of our own gluttony. 

I agree with this. Let these guys get a real job and then maybe I would give more credence to them telling regular working folks how to do their jobs. People don't watch sports for political input from spoiled rich athletes who have been pampered for a large part of their lives.

As you said, however, we all helped create this monster.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 04:42:28 EDT »

Football has always been the only sport that I would go so far as to say I "need".... especially college football.  All the other spring and summer sports don't hold my attention the same way.  NBA playoffs I would kind of get into, but I haven't paid attention to the NBA "bubble" play at all.. like was said above, just tired of the politics been forced in my face.  Haven't listened to as much national sports radio either, because I don't need to be told how to feel about #BLM.

But football, especially college football, I would be pretty upset without that.  Honestly even if they don't let us attend games at Neyland, I would be satisfied watching the home games on TV if I have to.  Wouldn't like it, but fall Saturdays without college football is just too much to bear.
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 05:03:28 EDT »

Football has always been the only sport that I would go so far as to say I "need".... especially college football.  All the other spring and summer sports don't hold my attention the same way.  NBA playoffs I would kind of get into, but I haven't paid attention to the NBA "bubble" play at all.. like was said above, just tired of the politics been forced in my face.  Haven't listened to as much national sports radio either, because I don't need to be told how to feel about #BLM.

But football, especially college football, I would be pretty upset without that.  Honestly even if they don't let us attend games at Neyland, I would be satisfied watching the home games on TV if I have to.  Wouldn't like it, but fall Saturdays without college football is just too much to bear.

Agree on all accounts. I like baseball, but I don't NEED baseball. I've given up on the NFL/NBA because of the politics. (I was a lifelong Spurs fan and really liked Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, but he's one of the political ringleaders in the NBA. I don't need Pop to tell me how to think or vote.) But I would pay seriously good money to just sit and watch a college football game right now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: