VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 10:40:45 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alaska...the last frontier....  (Read 2839 times)
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2013, 10:28:50 EDT »

Anybody else watching this series?  I like it alot but these folks are definitely not JUST living off the land. You cant buy excavators and dozers and such by trading a few rabbit furs.  I did learn that Atz has a daughter named Jewel....as in the pop singer Jewel.  He aint hurting for money. But I do think the try to live off the land as much as possible and enjoy some level of self sufficiency.  I would like to be able to live the simple life up there but couldnt stand an 8 month winter. 

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 11:15:51 EDT »

I couldn't take that either. I wouldn't mind the solitude and quiet, but not that much winter.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 11:57:28 EDT »

I've been to Alaska twice and loved the place. I've had the pleasure to travel all over the globe thanks to Uncle Sam.  I'd put Alaska in my top 3 favorite places I've been.

Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 01:44:57 EDT »

It's one of my favorite TV series.  I agree that an 8 month winter isn't appealing, but I would love to spend a summer fishing up there.  It is the only state that I haven't visited yet.  On my bucket list for sure. 

Between Alaska The Last Frontier and Yukon Men, one thing I've concluded is that I couldn't risk a subsistence lifestyle in such a harsh environment.   You could survive when you have the stamina from youth and middle-aged, but what do you do when you get really old?  Unless you have children to help out, you probably just die. 

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 02:09:40 EDT »

Depends on which part of Alaska.  Southern AK (Anchorage, Juneau, the Inside Passage) is beautiful.  Father North, not so much.  I spent 3 months at Eielson AFB (near Fairbanks) in the dead of winter, and never saw the sun.  It was pretty miserable.  It's easy to see why their population has issues with drug/alcohol abuse.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: